Buying used tires? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Buying used tires?

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 03-30-2012, 09:48 PM   #1
cmow5
1994 ZJ 

Buying used tires?

I will be buying some 31's-33's in the next couple weeks. I am lifting my Jeep and putting bigger tires on. This will be the first time I have ever done anything like this to any vehicle.

Anyways I have been coming across some good deals on used tires and was wondering if you guys have good tips as to what to look for when buying used tires?

Obviously dry rot, tread depth over all shape but is every little crack in the tire considered dry rot? Should I only consider 50% or more tread depth?

I am looking for just little helpful tips when buying used tires.

Thx for your time and information.

cmow5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2012, 12:11 AM   #2
Dickpalmer

Call your local tire retailer. Ask them where the numbers are on the tires that show their service life and ask the seller about it. Tires can become unsafe for use while sitting on the shelf at the retailer. Sometimes do and get sold anyway by a dishonest dealer. With the roll over tendencies of a lifted vehicle, I would not take a chance.
Dickpalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2012, 09:03 PM   #3
castorriver
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I have used tires on my truck but don't drive it very often and not very far when I do. I don't think I'll do it again.
Registered Nurse Jeep Club Member #1 (I think...)

Verse 36: And He said to them, "But now, whoever has a money belt is to take it along, likewise also a bag, and whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one.
castorriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2012, 12:07 AM   #4
AKGeo
Web Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

any cracks around the tread blocks are a big no-no. I just started noticing them on my ATs and I've had slow leaks for the last couple years, thinking it was the beads or valve stems. They've been beat up, but the cracks are what's leaking air.

They don't need to be old to have them. Running the tires at speed with low pressure will do it...they're caused by overheating.

I trust my used swampers to the ATs I bought new, now.
AKGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2012, 09:49 AM   #5
donthelegend
1999 XJ Cherokee 

As mentioned, watch for dry rot. Also check for feathering and cupping. Those wear patterns, once started, can't be reversed. Know how long you're wanting used tires to last, if you just need to get through the next 6 months before buying new, a used set with less life may be just fine, if you are wanting to run them longer, then obviously you want more tread left. Just pay attention to their condition and depth and make sure they satisfy whatever your needs in a tire are.
donthelegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2012, 12:00 PM   #6
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I guy I work with goes to this salvage yard up by St Louis somewhere. They have tons and tons of almost brand new totaled cars. Some of these cars have less the 10K on them. Often they have perfectly good tires already mounted and balanced for cheap. If you can find a place like that you are good to go. Otherwise be careful what you buy.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2012, 10:45 PM   #7
LittleBluE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I personally never buy used tires. It's a gamble i'm not willing to take. The fact is you don't know how the past owner has driven them, how long they've sat, what the "real reason" they're being sold is, the present reliability of the tires. You're always better off buying a new set of tires with the compound you really want rather than going darn wish I woulda bought those. With that being said I personally unless am forced to will not buy used tires. I'm very picky (currently running a set of 31" general grabber red letters) so I know that if I were to buy a used set or a compound I didn't really want I wouldn't be satisfied. It's all a guessing game. My opinion is DO NOT DO IT unless you absolutely have to. Look for physical indications on condition/wear and hope you made a good buy. Good luck to you.

LittleBluE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2012, 08:15 AM   #8
cmow5
1994 ZJ 

thx for all the responses guys. My plan is to go ahead and get the Treadwright gaurddogs. but if a member in my local Jeep Club has a bigger set of M/T's or similar for a good price and I know/trust the member then I will buy them. I agree I think its to much of a risk to buy used unless you personally know the PO IMO.
cmow5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2012, 11:20 AM   #9
AKGeo
Web Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

You can tell the condition and how the PO ran the tires by looking at them. Feathering, cupping, cracks in certain locations, surface cuts and scrapes all tell a story. And if a tire has sufficient wear where it's noticeable, it's unlikely that any manufacturer defect will arise after you buy them.

People buy and sell used tires all the time. It's par for the course in this hobby. don't be scared of the 'used' descriptor when it comes to tires. Used vehicles, sure. Tires...nah. you see everything with a set of tires, especially if they're off the wheels.
AKGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2012, 04:11 PM   #10
terpsmandan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I bought a set of 31" Dunlop RVXT's for $200 and never had a problem with them except for having a nail pulled out after 20000 miles and having them plugged. They were almost new but one was a little cupped. I got about 30000 miles out of them before I replaced them. Just be careful and know what you are looking for and at.
terpsmandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2012, 06:04 AM   #11
Crystal81

Buying pre-owned stuff is always not the best option. Are u sure u wanna sacrifice quality to a couple of bucks? Think twice.
Unread 04-04-2012, 10:45 AM   #12
donthelegend
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal81 View Post
Buying pre-owned stuff is always not the best option. Are u sure u wanna sacrifice quality to a couple of bucks? Think twice.
If its a couple bucks, then no. But with tires its often a couple hundred dollars, especially with larger sizes. Examine them when you go to buy them, make sure there's no visible issues, and quit worrying about it. I bought a set of MT/R Kevlars for 50% of what they were new saving myself over 400 bucks, with 85% tread left. Pretty good deal and I've had no issues that I didn't know about when I bought them (one was cupped pretty badly but that's wasn't hard to spot and I was fine with that).
donthelegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2012, 12:51 PM   #13
ioman2
2000 TJ Wrangler 

if you know the difference between a good tire and a bad tire then yes, buy used. if you can inspect them for plugs, dry rot, and and know the depth of the tread new vs old then, yes buy used.

i've bought new and used tires for several jeeps. i paid 35 cents on the dollar for the last set of tires i bought used saving me a ton.

BUYER BEWARE!
95 xj dd
ioman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2012, 09:03 PM   #14
Photog2000
2000 TJ Wrangler 

People take perfectly good tires off all the time for strange reasons. Going bigger, more aggressive, less aggressive, what have you. I have a pair of of 35" KM2's sitting on the shop floor that are probably 75% tread that I took off a few weeks ago. Reason? I wanted 4 new tires on at the same time. I thought about selling them, but the used market wont bring me much.
Photog2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2012, 09:45 PM   #15
castorriver
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
I guy I work with goes to this salvage yard up by St Louis somewhere. They have tons and tons of almost brand new totaled cars. Some of these cars have less the 10K on them. Often they have perfectly good tires already mounted and balanced for cheap. If you can find a place like that you are good to go. Otherwise be careful what you buy.
I see you're from Bum***, MO. We must be neighbors.
Registered Nurse Jeep Club Member #1 (I think...)

Verse 36: And He said to them, "But now, whoever has a money belt is to take it along, likewise also a bag, and whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one.
castorriver is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.