building for 40s... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > building for 40s...

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 10-09-2014, 05:36 PM   #1
poptarts
2002 TJ Wrangler 

building for 40s...

ok so I'm putting on some dana 60s, detroit lockers, 5.13 gears. i will be 3 link up front and 4 link in the rear. also doing hydro assist.

I'm building my jeep to be street able and also a rock king. lol

I'm in a 2002 tj with the 4.0 inline 6 with the automatic transmission. what tires should i go with? 39.5 iroks? 40 inch toyos? 40 inch mud grappler?

if you have 40s please post some pics.

Unread 10-09-2014, 06:39 PM   #2
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

That will be my next step, Just need the tires and axles. I have one axle but still looking for a front I like.

For the coin you are about to drop, Plus you want to DD it, Id look into the toyo's or kevlars. They will net you the look, Decent ride for DD and last a bit longer than others. 40" maxxis trep's don't look too bad either for a DD.
The grappler on a TJ in that size DD, Will bounce and lug slap like a bogger, Or my opinion when I rode in one. They are great on a jeep though and last, But better suited for a truck.

I built this guy a few years ago, 60 front/sterling rear, Too much of everything! Has copperhead fab beadlocks and 40" ground hawg's. I DD it, But it was a little too much all around.
rubicontj.jpg

Unread 10-09-2014, 07:22 PM   #3
jason m
your ad here...

Skip the 60 rear and get a 14 bolt or at least a Dana 70. Start with an axle that has 1.5" plus shafts factory.

That said I love my Iroks, the seem to flex well but the sidewalls don't pinch and cut. I run bead locks so my tires see pressures around 2-3 psi. The work very well in dry and wet rock. I would get them in 17" flavor, this way if a set of red labels come your way you are not buying new rims.

Oh and a pic of my tire kinda flexing,

That's a 39" irok smushed down till the tire hit the inner rim, I lifted that rock close to a foot off the other rock. Oh and that's when I ran a 14 bolt rear, ya that's why they are such great axles to it came out of that without any issues. And you should have seen how bound up I was, ask a dana 60 rear with 30 spline shafts if it can do that, you wont like the answer, LOL.

Jason.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2014, 10:13 PM   #4
poptarts
2002 TJ Wrangler 

lol well its not my daily driver. i have a 2009 duramax with mud grapplers on it and love them. i think I'm getting a 14 bolt rear or dana 70. i think the set he is getting me is out of a 2006 f250. i did want a matching set.

ya i think its a toss now between the irok or mud grappler. i wish the pit bull rockers weren't so expensive. also what is a good street able beadlock?
Unread 10-09-2014, 10:31 PM   #5
jason m
your ad here...

I would into the KMC rims for a better looking and more street friendly bead lock. The weld on kits you cant ever balance but perfect for a guy like me cause they are cheap.
If both axle are coming out of a 06 then it will be a 10.5 steerling rear with a metric pattern.
The after market world has caught up to the 10.5 and the 10.25 axle, beffy axles but im a 14 bolt guy. The only reason I run a 60 rear is cause its a steering 60 front chevy, if not I would have stayed with my trusty 14 b.

Jason.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2014, 05:11 AM   #6
CJ7nvrstk
1985 CJ7 

Though the Iroks are phenomenal off road, I hated then on road. Sudden unexpected lane changes caused by your tires are not fun at 60 mph in traffic! They grip great, but that comes at a cost as well. Fast wear! My Iroks didn't last for crap, barely 20k miles. Btw, I was running the bias, radials I'm sure handled better on road.
Unread 10-11-2014, 04:25 PM   #7
poptarts
2002 TJ Wrangler 

ya ill be running a radial for sure.
Unread 10-17-2014, 04:32 PM   #8
bgredjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

If I was looking for a streetable 40" tire, I'd get the Nitto Trail Grappler MT. I considered them for my Jeep, but since it doesn't see the road any more I went with comp trepadors instead.
bgredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.