BRAKES! Pull left, while driving, pulls right? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > BRAKES! Pull left, while driving, pulls right?

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 04-27-2013, 12:38 PM   #1
Actionjaxon
1999 TJ Wrangler 

BRAKES! Pull left, while driving, pulls right?

So I'm stuck on the side of the road waiting for a tow truck.

My front right wheel is smoking and smelling like burnt steel. I assume it's just bad pads. But when I'm driving, it's pulling hard right. Im assuming the brakes have something to do with that too?

Any help appreciated.. I'm not goin anywhere for a lil bit! Ha

Actionjaxon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2013, 12:52 PM   #2
sluff28
2001 XJ Cherokee 

possible locked up brake caliper?
sluff28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2013, 01:30 PM   #3
Actionjaxon
1999 TJ Wrangler 

That's what I'm thinking.. With the mud and stuff I've been through lately. Should I just clean it, lube it, and put it in? (hehe)

Think that's solve the pull to the right while driving?
Unread 04-27-2013, 05:35 PM   #4
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Go and buy a reman one or both, Set of new pads and call it a day. You have a seized caliper, Thus the hard pull. Much safer and cheaper in the long run. To each their own, Good luck
Unread 04-27-2013, 06:48 PM   #5
Actionjaxon
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKiowaTJ
Go and buy a reman one or both, Set of new pads and call it a day. You have a seized caliper, Thus the hard pull. Much safer and cheaper in the long run. To each their own, Good luck
Thanks KK. I bought a new caliper.
Timing couldnt be worse day for it to go out, but bad days lead to good days, and I have an interview to kill on Monday. So it'll be worth it.
Unread 04-28-2013, 11:43 AM   #6
bondosgto
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Go, and buy the Black Magic pad, rotor, front caliper kit. Reman calipers from the box store have been known to be crap. Also, buy a quart of brake fluid and flush the shole system.
bondosgto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2013, 11:44 PM   #7
Jacob02tj
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I just had the exact same thing happen to my front right. Good excuse to do the front brakes I've heard good things about centric Callipers. I ordered mine from amazon same calipers used in the Black Magic set - correct me if I'm wrong.

Link for front right
Jacob02tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2013, 01:16 AM   #8
Actionjaxon
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the help everyone!
I changed it with a 45 dollar one from advance. Luckily I think I am going to get hired at this other place. Better pay. Better parts for the wrangler.

Shame on me, but only had enough cash to change the caliper, and not the pads or rotors. I have a minimal pull to the left now, and I blame it on what I believe to be an uneven rotor/pads.

I'll fix it when I have the dough. Btw how do you like those calipers you ordered?
Unread 04-30-2013, 07:47 PM   #9
Jacob02tj
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I just got the calipers in last night actually. Centric loaded calipers. Came with the brake pads and I got rotors from centric too. I originally planned on getting EBC pads but figured I'd give these a try since they were a lot cheaper. Anyways I'll post an update after I get them on- probably sometime this weekend. All new hardware though. Looks nice in the box for now lol.
image-607905372.jpg  
Unread 04-30-2013, 10:55 PM   #10
Actionjaxon
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob02tj
I just got the calipers in last night actually. Centric loaded calipers. Came with the brake pads and I got rotors from centric too. I originally planned on getting EBC pads but figured I'd give these a try since they were a lot cheaper. Anyways I'll post an update after I get them on- probably sometime this weekend. All new hardware though. Looks nice in the box for now lol.
How much did they run? And snap some pics when they're on. You might influence me lol
Unread 05-01-2013, 01:58 AM   #11
Jacob02tj
2002 TJ Wrangler 

The Callipers with pads were $52 for each side Left side on amazon
Right side

The rotors were $45 each Amazon rotor link

So my total was right around $200 and it shipped free. I choose to do amazon and ship it to a ups store right over the boarder in the US since I'm from Canada and couldn't find Centric around here this was the cheapest and most convenient option.

My original plan was to get the EBC Yellow stuff pads. which were $116 and then buy the Centric callipers without pads for $30 each Long story short I cheeped out and didn't get the EBC pads.

I know a lot of people on here run black magic setups. I checked their site here and the part numbers for callipers and rotors seemed to be the same. I just obviously got the centric brake pads instead of black magic ones because they were cheaper and I figured if i don't like them they could just easily be switched later on when I'm working full time during the summer.
I hope that helps and I didn't end up rambling too much.. I'll post up the pics after the install.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.