body lift and tires - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > body lift and tires

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 03-22-2004, 08:47 AM   #1
tchfall15

body lift and tires

I am new to this board. I have a 2001 tj that is stock. I want to put the bigger tires on it but what size will the stock jeep support? Also i am thinking about getting a body lift. Any suggestions on which one, or where to get it? And if i put the body lift on, how big of tires can i have now? Thanks.

tchfall15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2004, 10:00 AM   #2
Whybu1
Lets go Penguins!!!!

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Unless you are only mall cruising I'd stay away from body lifts as a 1st choice. Get a 2" budget boost and then 31 inch tires. It will look nice and still be safe.
Whybu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2004, 04:31 PM   #3
Cynic

i agree with whybu1 ..... a stock tj can run 31x10.5's....i would look into a budget boost before a bodylift....and when/if you do get a body lift i wouldnt recommend over 1".......although with both you will get more suspension travel a 2" budget boost looks ALOT nicer then a 2" body lift, thats my opinion anyway....plus there are other technical things people dont like body lifts for but I havent really heard of any being a safety issue.....
Cynic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2004, 05:07 PM   #4
MuddyV8YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

There are a few other things you have to think about when doing a body lift. Its not just the little spacers. You may have to relocate the radiator, adjust shifter linkages, check the stearing linakage, stuff like that.

When I bought my jeep it came with a 3" body lift, stock suspension, and 31" tires. It works for me cuz I dont take my rig on the road or around corners fast. I guess large body lifts will give you a lot of body roll and put excess stress on the body mounts. My jeep is no show car so i dont really care about the big gaps between the frame and body. Right now I think I have enough room under the body that I can reach my hand in and pull everything off the top of my gas tank.

Let us know if you have any other questions.
Unread 03-22-2004, 06:03 PM   #5
tchfall15

budget boost

Which budget boost do u recommend? And where do i order it? I just want a little lift and put bigger tires on it. I dont go off roading, just for looks. Thanks
tchfall15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2004, 02:08 PM   #6
Whybu1
Lets go Penguins!!!!

2001 TJ Wrangler 

You can try E-bay or just put "budget boost" into any web search engine. If you are not worried about off-road performance I'd just go with the best price.
Whybu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2004, 04:05 PM   #7
Cynic

your can also try redrock4x4.com and look under rubicon express....they make a good budget boost that includes shocks...contact Jason there I believe forum members get a discount...you have to talk to him about it.....
Cynic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2004, 09:00 PM   #8
jeep4fishing

I've helped a good friend put on his BDS budget boost and his 1" Daystar Body lift. His setup is awesome for moderate 4 wheeling and allows 32" tires with no worries and he could squeeze 33" tires with some fender rub. With the 1" body lift it will allow you to put in a motor mount lift, which is what I've done. The Motor Mount Lift will allow you to eliminate the transfercase drop used in 2-3 inch suspension lifts and will allow you some skid plate options for your engine. There was no adjustments made to the shifters with a 1" lift and with the MML you don't have to move your radiator. However if you do, it is very simple to move the radiator down an inch, the hardware can be found in any auto store or wal mart if it isn't included in the kit. There is enough play in your steering linkage to allow for a 1" body lift so that shouldn't be an issue, however that is also a fairly simple fix.
Unread 03-29-2004, 08:59 AM   #9
bdj428
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynic
your can also try redrock4x4.com and look under rubicon express....they make a good budget boost that includes shocks...contact Jason there I believe forum members get a discount...you have to talk to him about it.....

Good advice. The RE 2" budget boost is cheap, easy to install and will fit 32's well assuming you don't do a lot of hardcore off-roading. Comes with DT3000 shocks.
bdj428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2004, 04:21 PM   #10
WhatWasIThinkin

Avoiding the 1" BL or 2" BB debate(I would just do both ) This is kinda what to expect with different set ups. Sorry, no pics of bone stock w/31's.....no more linking to imagestation so no old pics

Basic stock 1.25 JKS BL and 31" Tires

Still Stock 1.25" BL and 33's w/o any lift.....I dont recomend doing this either

Finally lifted and 1.25" BL and 33's
[size=2][color=darkolivegreen]*Engine=Stock* *Armor=OYR Rear Corners, SkidRow Engine Skid, OEM Rockers* *Lift=OME 942HD & 933HD Coils, OME N66 & N67 HD Shocks, ACOS front and rear, 1-1/4" JKS BL, JKS front Track Bar* *Tires/Wheels= 12.5x33" Interco TrXus MT's mounted on 15x8 Cragar 397 Steelies* *Bumpers and Carrier=Jeeperman Rock bumpers front and rear* * Other Stuff=1" M.O.R.E Bombproof Torsion Rubber MML, Meridian Gold GPS, CE 8k Winch*[/color][/size]
WhatWasIThinkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2004, 06:58 PM   #11
moored

2inch bb and 1.25 jks body lift

I have a tj rubicon with a 2inch budget boost. My question is what kind of modifications did you have to do with the combination of the 2inch bb and jks 1.25 body lift? Did you have to lift the motor, lower transfer case, move the radiator? Do you have any vibrations and how did it effect the way it handles on the road?
I am planning to install the jks body lift and need to know what else needs to be done. I am trying to clear 32inch 1150 tires and the 2inch bb is not enough when offroad, when I have the front sway bar disconnected.
Do you have any rubbing problems with sway bar disconnected?

thanks alot
moored is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2004, 05:13 PM   #12
juniork

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchfall15
Which budget boost do u recommend? And where do i order it? I just want a little lift and put bigger tires on it. I dont go off roading, just for looks. Thanks

If you are doing no off roading then just go with 31x10.5x15's with the stock suspension. I had this on my jeep and was doing some off roading with them. Take a look at the picture to the left, it is a nice set up. I will send you some pics if you would like, just PM with your email. JR
juniork is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.