Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

blocked balljoint & cleaning chassis

758 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  prossett 
#1 ·
Greetings,

I've been trying to do more of my own regular maintenance - tired of being ripped off for shoddy work :mad: and I'd appreciate your expertise. (please note that where I live a 'mechanic' is not someone who has received any sort of training, or even done anything remotely mechanical before, but simply someone who has figured out how to crawl under a car without getting stuck under a wheel.)

1. What's a good way to clean (scrape?) off years of hardened road grime from under the car, without a pressure washer or fancy gizmo? There's no rust at all, it's just covered in dry hard caked black guck.

2. Any clever trick to unblock a stuck upper yoke-to-steering knuckle balljoint, which refuses to accept fresh grease? (I'm using proper grease gun and hose attachment)

Thanks - I sometimes feel as though I'm a million miles from home, but boy am I glad there's the Internet and Jeepforum :thumbsup:

#3 ·
replacements

Thanks eight - your advice is right on. How about without replacing anything? Getting replacements is a real nightmare for me sometimes. Today I'll take a photo of the mechanic shops around here so you'll see what I'm dealing with :eek:

#4 ·
Mechanic Photo

Following on from my post about having trouble dealing with the mechanics where I live, I've put up a photo of the nearest mechanic's workshop at http://photos.yahoo.com/prossett/ so you'll understand why I'm trying to do all my own work and how hard (impossible) it is to order parts through them.

To be fair, there are authorized dealers that are as modern as anywhere, but, for some unknown reason, here the Mercedes dealership covers also for Jeep, at Mercedes prices of course... and the closest real Jeep dealer is about 1.5 hrs highway drive away. They also charge Mercedes prices for parts, though labour is cheaper than in the US.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.