biggest tire size for 15x7 wheel? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > biggest tire size for 15x7 wheel?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 10-17-2003, 12:20 AM   #1
04Willys

biggest tire size for 15x7 wheel?

I tried searching and couldn't find anything. My Willys TJ came with tiny tires and I am in serious need of bigger ones. I want to put on 30" x 9.5" tires on my 15" x 7" wheels. I am pretty sure this will work but I would like a definative answer. I don't want to go wider than 9.5" due to the snow in Colorado, but what are the largest tires (diameter and width) that can go safely on a 15x7 wheel?

"[COLOR=white]The no-mind no-thinks no-thoughts about no-things.[/COLOR]" - The Buddha
04Willys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2003, 12:54 AM   #2
thephantum
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04Willys
I tried searching and couldn't find anything. My Willys TJ came with tiny tires and I am in serious need of bigger ones. I want to put on 30" x 9.5" tires on my 15" x 7" wheels. I am pretty sure this will work but I would like a definative answer. I don't want to go wider than 9.5" due to the snow in Colorado, but what are the largest tires (diameter and width) that can go safely on a 15x7 wheel?
I'm not sure what the largest tire you can safely fit is...but I know people run 33's on those stock 15" x 7" rims...I wouldn't...but people do.

30" X 9.5" will run on those rims with no problems...you could even go to 31"....

[B][size=3][url=http://www.links4jeeps.com/in.php?id=893/]Links 4 Jeeps - Yup, they're free here too[/url][/size][/B]

[URL=http://www.fm2cd.com/chapters/VA_Chapter/VA_Members.htm#cname]
97 XJ Sport 2 door with a bunch of stuff[/URL]

[url=http://www.fm2cd.com/chapters/VA%20Chapter/VA%20Members.htm#dname]
02 TJ Sport with a bunch of stuff[/url][/center]
thephantum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2003, 09:09 AM   #3
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

The biggest size tire I can recommend for a 15x7 wheel is 32x11.50... but for a factory 15x7 wheel, there would be too much backspacing for a 32x11.50 so while the tire would fit fine, it would be positioned too close to the suspension. So really, a 30x10.50 is the biggest tire size if that 15x7 wheel is a factory Jeep wheel.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2003, 10:49 AM   #4
StockBoy

I am running 30 x 9.5 tires on the stock 15 x 7 rims and they fit fine. I would suggest going to 31's though. I wish I had.
I have the Dueler A/T REVO tires and love them. Super quiet on the road and still tough off road. They get really high marks on tirerack.com... link

01 Green Sport - Dr. Stock
Still trying to disable the CFI (cash flow inhibitor) for first round of mods.
StockBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2004, 09:43 PM   #5
vpogv

Will 30x9.5s or even the 31x9.5s work well with a 99 SE's stock gearing (auto tranny)? By "well" I mean very little change in highway cruising. I still want good mileage but I am looking for a larger than stock tire.

Will
vpogv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2004, 09:15 AM   #6
supadupa

What about the swamper ltb's 34x10.50?? I have a 4" suspension lift, what do you think the pros and cons are of this size tire? Don't want to buy new wheels right now.
supadupa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2004, 09:42 AM   #7
igofshn
Locked @ both ends

I'm running 35/12.50X15 on 7" rims. The rims aren't stock though.

[Jeep Pics
igofshn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2004, 03:53 PM   #8
jsol95

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04Willys
Had the same question...bought my Willys about 4 months ago and finally found this site!!! Let me know what you ended up with....some people dont understand the reason for the bigger tire stock rim...for me its the fact that the rims are part of the willys package, that make it the willys(painted green) Im not lookin for all out 4X4, but something that would look good with a 4" lift would be nice!

jsol95@yahoo.com is my email...please send pics or whatever about how it turned out! thanks!
jsol95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2004, 04:41 PM   #9
doorocks
Web Wheeler

Im running 33/10.50 works just great. But like Jerry said. Your backspacing will be too tight.

RE 3.5 and all kinds of other relevant goodies, you know winch and stuff.

[COLOR=Red][B]Life is like walking into the No Chance Bar full of Future Darwin Stories........[/B][/COLOR]

More mods than a hillbilly's set of teeth..
doorocks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2004, 05:15 PM   #10
Dr Gutiemouth
1997 TJ Wrangler 

im getting 32" 11.5 bfgoodrich all terrains...
on stock rims that are 15 x 7 ...think rubbing will be a big issue? can i adjust anything to help me out if it is?
[COLOR=darkgreen]Green Jeep Club Member #39[/COLOR]
[COLOR=purple]The Almighty 2" BB Jeep Club Member #2[/COLOR]
[URL=http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/781569/][COLOR=Orange]My Jeep on Cardomain.com[/COLOR][/URL] *outdated
Dr Gutiemouth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2004, 12:18 AM   #11
6Speed
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
The biggest size tire I can recommend for a 15x7 wheel is 32x11.50... but for a factory 15x7 wheel, there would be too much backspacing for a 32x11.50 so while the tire would fit fine, it would be positioned too close to the suspension. So really, a 30x10.50 is the biggest tire size if that 15x7 wheel is a factory Jeep wheel.

I want to run some 33x12.50, or possibly some 33x11.50's, but I don't want them to stick out past the fender flairs.

Basically I like this look. http://www.dillermedia.com/jeep_pic1.jpg

I also like this one. http://members.cox.net/rimtorim2003/after.jpg Ohh and those are the same wheels I have. So how can I run 33's with the stock rims, or what backspacing should I order, if I get some 15x7 black steelies?

Thanks!
6Speed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2004, 07:34 AM   #12
Patriot

I run 31 x 10.5's on the stock 15 x 7 steelies with no rubbing.
Blue Jeep Club Member #58
Patriot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2004, 11:27 AM   #13
dzp

An option you have to keep your existing rims and run 32 or 33's would be wheel spacers. For 33's to fit well, then you will need about 3 1/2" - 4" of Back Spacing. If your rims are now 5 1/2" BS, then you will need 2" spacers. With a skinny tire, then you may only need 1" spacers. Be sure to get the good ones that bolt to your hub, then the wheel bolts to it. DO NOT get a set that comes with a spacer and longer studs.

Another option (better IMO) would be to buy some new steel wheels with 4" BS and have them powdercoated with the olive drab to match your Jeep.
[URL=http://www.dzpdrafting.com]DZP Drafting & Fabrication[/URL]
[URL=http://www.jeepet.com]Jeeps of East Texas Club[/URL]
[URL=http://www.tkff.com]Tyler Kung Fu & Fitness[/URL]
dzp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2004, 01:34 PM   #14
jsol95

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzp
An option you have to keep your existing rims and run 32 or 33's would be wheel spacers. For 33's to fit well, then you will need about 3 1/2" - 4" of Back Spacing. If your rims are now 5 1/2" BS, then you will need 2" spacers. With a skinny tire, then you may only need 1" spacers. Be sure to get the good ones that bolt to your hub, then the wheel bolts to it. DO NOT get a set that comes with a spacer and longer studs.

Another option (better IMO) would be to buy some new steel wheels with 4" BS and have them powdercoated with the olive drab to match your Jeep.
Thats the other option I thought about.....however if I can keep the original I will lol....for now just would like a better tire on it....something more apt for beaching and some light trails that come across my path.....but was also nice to read that once I get a 4" lift, I could still use stock tires

but if anything the cheapo black rims are good too....bling dosnt work well with this jeep
jsol95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2004, 04:12 PM   #15
FSJeepin'

I agree with jsol95 about the spacers (if your going to use them) I don't like them but you gotta do what you gotta do. As for wheel to tire size you can safely go 3" to 3.5" wider than the wheels, any more than that and you can run into some problems with the tire bead staying on the wheel.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.