Bigger tire and Gear Ratio question.. Please help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Bigger tire and Gear Ratio question.. Please help

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-02-2013, 10:37 PM   #1
anjum69
2011 JK Wrangler 

Bigger tire and Gear Ratio question.. Please help

Dear All Jeap owners,

I'm new to this.. I have 2011 Jeep JK unlimited 4 door Auto. Just replaced stock tires and wheels(255/70R18) to 315/70R17 and new ATX wheels size 17". Still have Stock Gears (3.73). Please help me to understand this.. Do I need to regear and go smaller.
After fixing my tire size using Superchip flashcal to 34.50" and my speedometer is showing correct speed.
I noticed the current Gas millage is 14 miles/Gal in City. I didnt try the Highway drive yet.
Today I took Jeep on highway and using cruise my RPM on 70MPH was showing around 1800 RPM, but after driving few miles may be 7-8 miles the RPM increased to 3,000 ?? Is it called down shifting? If yes then why after 5-10 miles .

While increasing speed to 70 MPH the rpm increases to 3,000 RPM and the stable at 1800 for around 8 miles before it goes back to 3,000 RPM.

Please explain me about this behavior.

second do you think if I go for re gearing, Jeep will give me better Millage ? in City and Highway both ? is 14MPG bad in city after the bigger wheels?

What should be a good gas millage with this setup on Highway?

Thanks in Advance..

Note: I have already purchased a Yukon 4.88 Gears but didn't install yet .. waiting for your advice..

Anjum

now-photo.jpg  

Last edited by anjum69; 05-03-2013 at 10:41 AM..
anjum69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2013, 11:04 PM   #2
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

30,000 rpms????? not possible. You might want to get an after market trans cooler too. larger tire means more heat in the trans. they are know to over heat the trans. Few here have pics of what can happen, fire.

regardless, sounds like you have a Auto. It needs to be regeared. 5:13 at least. will help a bit do not expect much. couple more MPG. but it wont jump back and forth from overdrive to 3rd.
Unread 05-03-2013, 10:42 AM   #3
anjum69
2011 JK Wrangler 

Oops sorry . not 30,000 I mean 3000 RPM .. Do you think 4.88 will work too? I have heard 5.13 will take more Gas..
Unread 05-03-2013, 10:42 AM   #4
anjum69
2011 JK Wrangler 

Updated.. the Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
30,000 rpms????? not possible. You might want to get an after market trans cooler too. larger tire means more heat in the trans. they are know to over heat the trans. Few here have pics of what can happen, fire.

regardless, sounds like you have a Auto. It needs to be regeared. 5:13 at least. will help a bit do not expect much. couple more MPG. but it wont jump back and forth from overdrive to 3rd.

Oops sorry . not 30,000 I mean 3000 RPM .. Do you think 4.88 will work too? I have heard 5.13 will take more Gas..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.