Big Decision - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Big Decision

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Ruffstuff's Monster Shock Brackets!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 09-17-2003, 10:53 PM   #1
TellyDSP
Poland and PPV!!!!
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Big Decision

I'm gonna post this here, but do to low traffic on this board, I might be relocating, but we'll see what happens.

I'm gonna buy new tires, 33x12.5, in bout a week and needed peoples opinions. I've narrowed the field down to 3 and want to know which way to go. I can get them all for about 105, and both MT's I can get 4 for the price of 3.

MT/R
BFG MT
Kumho MT

My dilemma is, BFG is supposed to be better than Kumho, but Kumho has higher ratings across the board on tire rack. I like the MT/R's, and I do mostly crawling so I think they'd be better, also for winter roads. Yet, I've seen the Kumho's crawl and they do fine, and I think they'd be better in the mud, which I do find from time to time. Finally, I almost wanna get the MT/R's just because of the price(should be 105 for 33x12.5).

What does everyone think?

TIA
Craig

SIRA4x4 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples
n00bs bashing n00bs, it's a pitifull thing.
TellyDSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2003, 11:24 PM   #2
Poseidon17

I have 31" Kumho MTs, and granted I'm not a hard-core wheeler, I've been in pretty deep mud, and yes they are good. I really researched hard on the net, and heard nothing but good things about them. If you look on tirerack.com at the ratings of different tractions, you'll see that the kuhmo tires almost are on the exact same playing field as the Goodyear MTRs. This is interesting since the MTRs start at over $100, while I paid about $85 for each of my Kumhos (including spare) The benefit you'll get from the MTRs is the sidewall protection, which is a nice feature. You say you're into crawling, so they would benefit you more than I, so I say go for the MTRs, after all, the Rubis have them, and it's not called the Rubicon for nothing...
Unread 09-18-2003, 09:46 AM   #3
Whybu1
Lets go Penguins!!!!

2002 WJ 

For $105 a tire for 33 MT/Rs get them. They are awesome on rocks and so far have performed very well for me in mud and snow.
Whybu1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2003, 10:06 AM   #4
MSHarnett
Broke Bogger

Well, I like my BFG Muds alot. Great on rocks, snow, and mud. The MTR's I've heard get bad road milage. The Komho's I've never really delt with, but they have a deeper, but very similar tread pattern the the BFG's. I bet the Kumhos are better in the mud just for that reason. As for as rocks I don't know. Then again, for 105 MTR's sounds pretty good. Normaly a 33 is like 155.

Matt
Unread 09-18-2003, 01:02 PM   #5
TellyDSP
Poland and PPV!!!!
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I really would like to swing for the MT/R's but does anyone have any wear mileage numbers for me to look at? I believe I have heard they wear very quickly. Can't afford to be replacing them too often.

TIA

SIRA4x4 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples
n00bs bashing n00bs, it's a pitifull thing.
TellyDSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2003, 05:33 PM   #6
FanAholic
2007 MK Compass 

You should get 40k out of them.. But it depends how rough you are on them offroad.
FanAholic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2003, 09:32 AM   #7
wakeboarder 21

i would go with the BFG M/T.. i have also heard that the M/Tr have bad road life..

havent heard aout the kumhos before

RE 3.5 __ 1" BL__RE front adj. trac bar__Currie Anti Rock sway bar__33 BFG M/T with some black steelies__K&N Filter__CB___ Durango 4x4 Front Bumper

building for 37s

[URL=http://orw.truckmoxie.com/mygallery.ten?id=4573]***PICS***[/URL]
wakeboarder 21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2003, 09:59 AM   #8
chris06

Quote:
Originally Posted by TellyDSP
I'm gonna post this here, but do to low traffic on this board, I might be relocating, but we'll see what happens.

I'm gonna buy new tires, 33x12.5, in bout a week and needed peoples opinions. I've narrowed the field down to 3 and want to know which way to go. I can get them all for about 105, and both MT's I can get 4 for the price of 3.

MT/R
BFG MT
Kumho MT

My dilemma is, BFG is supposed to be better than Kumho, but Kumho has higher ratings across the board on tire rack. I like the MT/R's, and I do mostly crawling so I think they'd be better, also for winter roads. Yet, I've seen the Kumho's crawl and they do fine, and I think they'd be better in the mud, which I do find from time to time. Finally, I almost wanna get the MT/R's just because of the price(should be 105 for 33x12.5).

What does everyone think?

TIA
Craig
where are you gettin them for 105?
[URL=http://www.jeeperman.com]Jeeperman bumper/tire carrier[/URL]
[URL=http://www.t-maxwinches.com]T-MAX 9500 winch [/URL]
[URL=http://www.aev-conversions.com]AEV-Conversions' Rockers[/URL]
[U]Toys X Troy Croners
LED's[/U]

[URL=http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/667736/1]MY JEEP[/URL]
[URL=http://photobucket.com/albums/v242/cmmg94/]More pictures[/URL]
chris06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2003, 04:44 PM   #9
Skyjacked97ZJ

Personally for an offroad tire 40,000 miles is damn good. I'd love it if my Swampers would have hit 6,000 miles, much less 40,000.
Skyjacked97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2003, 05:13 PM   #10
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

WTF is everyone spreading these rumors on "poor treadlife" on MT/R tires? Granted, BFG's AT and MT get better mileage than any other Jeep-oriented tire I've ever seen, but the MT/R tire does very well in the wear department too. I switched from the BFG MT (AT before that) to Goodyear MT/Rs in January, have around 19K miles on them, and the wear is still very minimal. I have no doubt my present MT/Rs will not wear quite as well as my BFG MTs did, but neither am I cutting sidewalls or having as much trouble wheeling on the rocks with my MT/Rs as I did with my BFG MTs either. My BFGs had plenty of tread left on them when I got rid of them with 55K miles on them, but their sidewalls were all cut up and I had "one too many" sidewall punctures to ever consider buying another set of them. Plus the rubber was so hard on the BFGs by the time I got rid of them that they tended to slip on the rocks instead of hook up on them. Would I go back to BFG MTs for a few more miles of wear after having switched to MT/R tires? No way.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!

Last edited by Jerry Bransford; 09-20-2003 at 05:15 PM..
Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2003, 07:07 PM   #11
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanAholic
You should get 40k out of them.. But it depends how rough you are on them offroad.
This is about 37k. They have over 40k know and still have more life.

Ross

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2003, 07:33 PM   #12
Kicken_Jeep

I love my MT/R's.. Got about 4-5k on them and they still look brand new..
[size=4][color=white]WHITE JEEP CLUB #21[/color][/size]=====96 XJ, 30" Goodyear MT/R's on 15 X 7 AR 767's, Rusty 3" Lift and AirTube with K&N, Class III Hitch, SilverStars, Plus a 3G system..[size=2][color=white]Future Upgrades[/color][/size] Come check out my Jeep!!!!
[url]http://www.sounddomain.com/id/kicken_jeep[/url]
Kicken_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.