BFGoodrich Mud Terrain T/A KM2 tires - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > BFGoodrich Mud Terrain T/A KM2 tires

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 08-13-2014, 07:53 PM   #1
H8SPVMT
2001 TJ Wrangler 

BFGoodrich Mud Terrain T/A KM2 tires

I am seriously considering getting a set (5) of this and was wondering what others opinions are if you have a set and do a lot of OTR and off road driving.

The set of tires I currently own are no longer produced. I like the 33"x10.5 R15 and have really had good luck with these in all conditions except ice.

Unread 08-14-2014, 08:52 AM   #2
CJ7nvrstk
1985 CJ7 

great multi use tires. I know many who run them and are very satisfied with thier on road ride and rock crawling capabilities/durability.

Cue the BFG haters, they are sure to chime in soon.
Unread 08-14-2014, 10:32 AM   #3
gregstudeny
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I've had 33x12x15 km2s on my tj 4 years. They work well for me. No problems balancing them, good price, they are good on road and off. My only comparisons are with the bfg all terrain tires and kuhmo road ventures that came on the jeep when purchased so take that in consideration. I live in San Antonio Texas so little rain,mud and no snow usage. You will never really get a straight answer on tires. Its all subjective and most people haven't run every tire available.
gregstudeny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2014, 08:37 AM   #4
CJ7nvrstk
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3 View Post
I agree with that. I've owned two sets. My only complaint was not very good in mud.

My current tires are Cooper AT3. They do same as BFG AT, except the AT3 is quieter on road and better in mud.
You do realize he was asking about the KM2 and not the KO!
Unread 08-16-2014, 11:50 PM   #5
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7nvrstk View Post
You do realize he was asking about the KM2 and not the KO!
No I didn't realize that. I misunderstood. I thought he was asking about KO.

Thanks for clarifying.
Unread 08-17-2014, 07:06 PM   #6
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I hated my KM2's by 3/4 tread and removed/ replaced them at 1/2 tread. They aren't nearly what most make them out to be. They are very overrated. Provide poor wet/snowy road traction, lack lateral traction, do not clean out easily at low RPM's, do not dig, and measure small in comparison to other manufacturers of the same labeled size.

They do balance well and ride down the road great. They are a good tire for a pavement pounder that does not see much rain/ snow and just wants an aggressive look without the need for a tire to actually perform well off road.
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
SLADE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2014, 09:05 AM   #7
WXman
2001 WJ 

KM2 worst I've ever had. Loud as hell, dangerous in the rain/snow, and average mud traction offroad plus they are expensive.
'11 Mango Tango JKU Sport - Mods
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
WXman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2014, 12:39 PM   #8
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WXman View Post
KM2 worst I've ever had. Loud as hell, dangerous in the rain/snow, and average mud traction offroad plus they are expensive.
I've heard that a lot. If so, why are they popular? Are they magic on rocks? Made for dry climates?

I'm not disagreeing or agreeing with anyone. I'm just confused by the contradicting reviews.

It seems to be the most loved and hated tire.
Unread 08-18-2014, 04:16 PM   #9
JGRIM
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I thinks one of the reasons for the popularity of the Goodyear MTR's and BFG KM2's is the durability of the 3-ply sidewalls in the rocks. The last 5 years I had my CJ-5, I ran Goodyear MTR's and had zero flats. When I first bought the YJ it had a set of pretend mud terrains with 2-ply sidewalls. I ripped out 3 sidewalls in the first 3 months I drove it, and I was not even on difficult trails. Replaced them with Goodyear MTR's and no flats in the 6 years they have been on there. Several of my club members are running BFG KM2's which also exhibit excellent durability. We do not have much rain to deal with around here (unfortunately). I would not consider a tire with less than a 3-ply sidewall. Jerry
JGRIM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2014, 05:51 PM   #10
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

I don't really agree with them being loud, but I won't disagree with anything else.

Quote:
I've heard that a lot. If so, why are they popular?

Name recognition and everyone wants to brag about their most recent big purchase.

A better question to ask is how many tires do they have to compare them to and how much do they really NEED an offroad/mud tire.
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
SLADE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2014, 02:49 AM   #11
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRIM View Post
I thinks one of the reasons for the popularity of the Goodyear MTR's and BFG KM2's is the durability of the 3-ply sidewalls in the rocks. The last 5 years I had my CJ-5, I ran Goodyear MTR's and had zero flats. When I first bought the YJ it had a set of pretend mud terrains with 2-ply sidewalls. I ripped out 3 sidewalls in the first 3 months I drove it, and I was not even on difficult trails. Replaced them with Goodyear MTR's and no flats in the 6 years they have been on there. Several of my club members are running BFG KM2's which also exhibit excellent durability. We do not have much rain to deal with around here (unfortunately). I would not consider a tire with less than a 3-ply sidewall. Jerry
You said you don't have much rain.

I have noticed most guys who hate KM2 hate their performance on wet terrains on and off road, and especially frozen wet terrains.

Perhaps the guys who like them are from drier regions where rocks are a concern and wet conditions are not as much of a concern?

I think it's likely everyone is correct for their own regional climate and terrain, but we live in different climates and terrains.

I think tire advice is probably most valid when it comes from someone in the same region of the country who has similar driving habits/uses/terrains.
Unread 08-19-2014, 06:09 AM   #12
WXman
2001 WJ 

Quote:
I've heard that a lot. If so, why are they popular? Are they magic on rocks? Made for dry climates?

I'm not disagreeing or agreeing with anyone. I'm just confused by the contradicting reviews.

It seems to be the most loved and hated tire.
They are so popular because it says "BFGoodrich" on the sidewall...same reason the KO is popular. And yet, they are both the worst tires in their class.

Peer pressure is a killer.
'11 Mango Tango JKU Sport - Mods
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
WXman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2014, 10:52 AM   #13
billiebob
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I have them on my '05 Rubicon. great tires. We don't have much mud, mostly gravel and rock. I do a lot of highway too and cannot complain about noise. As for the haters out there, like you say, why are they so popular? They are a good tire.
Unread 08-19-2014, 10:54 AM   #14
billiebob
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
They are so popular because it says "BFGoodrich" on the sidewall...same reason the KO is popular. And yet, they are both the worst tires in their class.

Peer pressure is a killer.

Yep.... Peer pressure comin on strong.
Unread 08-19-2014, 11:40 AM   #15
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiebob View Post
I have them on my '05 Rubicon. great tires. We don't have much mud, mostly gravel and rock. I do a lot of highway too and cannot complain about noise. As for the haters out there, like you say, why are they so popular? They are a good tire.
They are a very average tire with a good brand name on them and a decent advertising budget behind them. Are they as bad as certain members here like to argue? No. Are there many better options? Absolutely!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.