BFG A/Ts need to go, what to get? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > BFG A/Ts need to go, what to get?

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 11-28-2010, 07:12 PM   #1
bottlerocket91
2000 TJ Wrangler 

BFG A/Ts need to go, what to get?

So went out wheeling for the first time yesterday and the A/Ts just didnt cut it at all. I don't have lockers yet (running open/open) but they just didnt seem to have the traction I needed. They also got clogged with mud QUICK. I was looking at the BFG MT KM2s as well as the Goodyear MTR. What are you guys finding works well on a good variety of terrain, not just dirt and gravel (seems all the A/Ts are good for).

bottlerocket91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2010, 07:32 PM   #2
JJeeper09
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Goodyear MTR's Kevlar
Unread 11-28-2010, 07:56 PM   #3
jerseyjeep22
1997 TJ Wrangler 

MTR and the KM2 are both really good sets of tires, you would do really well with either.
jerseyjeep22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2010, 07:57 PM   #4
mightydog78
2013 JK Wrangler 

i've heard A LOT of good things about Goodyear MTR's kevlar. that would be your best bet

Charlotte, NC / Southport, NC

Mechanical Engineer
mightydog78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2010, 07:59 PM   #5
EricsGreen98Tj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

did you air down the BFG AT's at all?? I was gonna say that the AT's are good in the snow BUT you live in texas so nevermind on that....the KM2's are suppose to have a stronger sidewall than the MTR's. Both would do you well in the mud though.
Unread 11-28-2010, 07:59 PM   #6
scottbr
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Wow, Sears has the MTR 35"s for $208 each!

What did you air down to when you went wheeling? I Agree that the A/Ts are near worthless in mud, but they are more tolerable than M/Ts for a DD.
scottbr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2010, 08:00 PM   #7
lukesdp
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I really like my KM2s, awesome on anything but the street. They are not awful on the road, definitely better then the old MTRs(not to be compared with the new MTR with kevlar) my rubi came with. I recommend them to anyone wants a good performing offroad tire that has some daily driving duty.
lukesdp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2010, 08:09 PM   #8
bottlerocket91
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I aired my A/Ts down to 19 (They are on a 15x10 so didnt want to spin them). How are the MTRs on the road? Noise really doesnt matter at this point. Not sure my Jeep could get any louder
Unread 11-29-2010, 08:07 AM   #9
Whybu1
Lets go Penguins!!!!

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlerocket91 View Post
I aired my A/Ts down to 19 (They are on a 15x10 so didnt want to spin them). How are the MTRs on the road? Noise really doesnt matter at this point. Not sure my Jeep could get any louder
19 is not really "aired down" Try them in the 12psi range. They are not great in mud. They are an excellent street tire. Depending on how much off-roading you do it might be worth keeping them and getting a set of used MTs.

What width are your 31s? 15x10 is a wide wheel for the usual width of 31s.
Whybu1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2010, 09:15 AM   #10
bottlerocket91
2000 TJ Wrangler 

They are 33x12.5x15 on 15x10s
Unread 12-02-2010, 06:42 PM   #11
EricsGreen98Tj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

What about the wrangler DuraTrac's?? anybody run those on a DD? how well do they do in other terrain??
Unread 12-02-2010, 07:28 PM   #12
RogueSpear2023
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I run the Duratracs they work great in almost all terrains, they do require more wheel speed to clear out the mud compared to a MT, but they do clean out. So if the OP wants an AT pros of an AT and MT combined I think the Duratrac is a good choice, but it looks like he wants an MT, IMO the MTRs with Kevlar about the best your going to get until you go to specific tires for certain terrains. To the OP why did you my BFG ATs if you were going to go into the mud, pretty much any one here that has had them myself included could tell you they turn into slicks it the mud. They work great for most other terrains just not mud.

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4.0L, 42RLE, Dual Tops, Full Doors, JKS Front Disconnects, Cragar Soft 8 Black Wheels, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, .75" Front Coil Spacers, Bushwacker 6" Flat Fender Flares, Skid Row Steering Box Skid, LubeLockers, Rubicon Locker Mod, OBA, Cobra 19 Ultra III CB, 3' Firestik, Rough Country 2.2 Steering Stabilizer, RC 1.25" BL, RC 1" MML, RC Grab Handles, Fog Lamp Bent Pin Mod, 4" Apline S Series Speakers, Kenwood Excelon 6.5" Speakers, 6.5" JL Audio 6W3V3 Subwoofer (in center console) w/MTX Thunder 202 amp, IPF H4 Headlight Housing, Sliverstar H4 bulbs.

TJ Tech Boot Camp
TJ Specs

"Buying a jeep and not taking it off road, is like buying a dragster and never taking it to the track"
RogueSpear2023 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2010, 07:30 PM   #13
2005X
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricsGreen98Tj View Post
...the KM2's are suppose to have a stronger sidewall than the MTR's. .
HUH how are Km2s stonger when the MTR is reinforced with Kevlar
Unread 12-02-2010, 09:26 PM   #14
Mainsail
2005 WK 

The problem may be the open diffs. Throw the money at that problem first.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.