BFG Rugged Terrains on my Jeep - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > BFG Rugged Terrains on my Jeep

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCOR

Reply
Unread 05-29-2013, 03:25 PM   #1
Bhamshooter
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: birmingham, AL
Posts: 610
BFG Rugged Terrains on my Jeep

Just wanted to toss out a few pics I snapped at lunch in case anyone wanted to see these mounted.

31x10.50 on my stock rims.










Bhamshooter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2013, 12:09 PM   #2
VietVet67
Registered User
2004 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Enterprise, Oregon
Posts: 768
Nice Jeep those are the tires i have picked to reshoe the Lj this fall--Do you like them?? How's the ride and MPG any difference ??
__________________
Silver Jeep club member #76 Semper -Fi my brothers
VietVet67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2013, 01:35 PM   #3
Bhamshooter
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: birmingham, AL
Posts: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by VietVet67 View Post
Nice Jeep those are the tires i have picked to reshoe the Lj this fall--Do you like them?? How's the ride and MPG any difference ??
They ride similar to the A/T's that were on there. I went from a 30x9.50 to a 31x10.50. MPG appears to be about the same. I got close to 15 mpg on the last tank. Mostly city driving. 10 miles of slow and go on the interstate each morning and afternoon (rarely getting above 3rd or 4th gear), and then a little cruising on the weekends.
Bhamshooter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2013, 09:22 PM   #4
Janderson6786
Registered User
1995 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Moseley, Va
Posts: 6
i have those tires on my 1995 ZJ I6, they arnt worth the money. They are fine trailriding and some tiny mud holes but once you get anything more than that they start caking up and spinning.
Janderson6786 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2013, 09:44 PM   #5
mschi772
Registered User
1997 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Racine, WI
Posts: 2,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janderson6786 View Post
i have those tires on my 1995 ZJ I6, they arnt worth the money. They are fine trailriding and some tiny mud holes but once you get anything more than that they start caking up and spinning.
Considering they're marketed as a highway tire, you shouldn't expect them to handle that kind of stuff.

They're one of my top recommendations for people who don't go offroad often if ever but still might want the look or slightly more dependable traction in dry offroad conditions. A perfect tire? Nope, but they're good at what they're intended for.
__________________
Might trade rebuilt 231 for new/rebuilt 242. Contact me.

New sig rules suck.
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2013, 04:25 PM   #6
Bhamshooter
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: birmingham, AL
Posts: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janderson6786 View Post
i have those tires on my 1995 ZJ I6, they arnt worth the money. They are fine trailriding and some tiny mud holes but once you get anything more than that they start caking up and spinning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post
Considering they're marketed as a highway tire, you shouldn't expect them to handle that kind of stuff.

They're one of my top recommendations for people who don't go offroad often if ever but still might want the look or slightly more dependable traction in dry offroad conditions. A perfect tire? Nope, but they're good at what they're intended for.
Yeah, I don't go mudding anymore. Did enough of that as a teenager. I mainly have the Jeep as a fun daily driver. I'm too busy with a pregnant wife, and a soon to be infant for the foreseeable future, to have any time to go wheeling. I wanted something a bit larger for now without having to lift it. That is in the plans, but not just yet. Every time I'm about to pull the trigger, I think about how much formula and diapers that money will buy, and how little benefit I would get in the short run of lifting it to do it.
Bhamshooter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2013, 10:03 PM   #7
3X4X4
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Valley Center, Kansas
Posts: 730
My Tacoma and my previous tundra came with those. They are a good riding multi-purpose street tire. I like them. I have 33X12.5X15 on my TJ Rubie now but I plan to pick up a second set of wheels and the Rugged Trails or Long Trails are my choice for DD and long trips. I also had the Long Trails on my wife's Liberty and on my old HiLux. They go forever and are good traction in rain and snow.

I think you made a fine choice for your purpose, and nice Jeep too.

J.
3X4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2013, 05:47 PM   #8
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,891
I like Rugged Terrains and Goodyear GSA for pavement and gravel roads, which is what I think they are intended for.

I like them on pavement because similar pavement performance as highway tires.

I like them on gravel roads because they are tougher than highway tires, and don't pick up gravel between treads like most (perhaps all) ATs do.

For someone who drives mostly on paved roads, but also drives on gravel roads often, these types of tires are ideal, IMO. For example, a person who doesn't off road, but lives up a gravel driveway.

---

However, I run AT for more traction, and just have to tolerate them picking up some gravel. My Cooper AT3 don't pickup as much gravel as orher ATs I've had. General Grabber AT2 was worst I've had for picking up gravel. BFG AT picked up a medium amount of gravel.

---

The Goodyear GSA I had were really good about not picking up gravel, and they were tougher than highway tires. I think same for BFG Rugged Terrain.
__________________
Warning: Sometimes I edit a post a few times to get it how I want it.
Charley3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2013, 09:58 AM   #9
3X4X4
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Valley Center, Kansas
Posts: 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3 View Post
I like Rugged Terrains and Goodyear GSA for pavement and gravel roads, which is what I think they are intended for.

I like them on pavement because similar pavement performance as highway tires.

I like them on gravel roads because they are tougher than highway tires, and don't pick up gravel between treads like most (perhaps all) ATs do.

For someone who drives mostly on paved roads, but also drives on gravel roads often, these types of tires are ideal, IMO. For example, a person who doesn't off road, but lives up a gravel driveway.

---

However, I run AT for more traction, and just have to tolerate them picking up some gravel. My Cooper AT3 don't pickup as much gravel as orher ATs I've had. General Grabber AT2 was worst I've had for picking up gravel. BFG AT picked up a medium amount of gravel.

---

The Goodyear GSA I had were really good about not picking up gravel, and they were tougher than highway tires. I think same for BFG Rugged Terrain.
Your thinking is good. I live down a gravel road and have a gravel drive. I explore lot's of gravel roads but do not "wheel" my Jeep as sport. The ATs are constantly slinging rocks, the Rugged Terrain did not.
3X4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2013, 04:17 AM   #10
Kiwi Jeeper
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Auckland (New Zealand)
Posts: 806
I need new tyres for the Grand Cherokee, came across BFG Rugged Terrains at a good price. Has anyone used them on a WJ?

I trust the brand, but are these noisy or good for rainy weather? We get a lot of rain in New Zealand.
__________________
'01 TJ Renegade I6 4.0L
'03 WG Limited V8 4.7L
'12 JK Rubicon V6 3.6L
Kiwi Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2013, 08:42 AM   #11
Bhamshooter
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: birmingham, AL
Posts: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi Jeeper View Post
I need new tyres for the Grand Cherokee, came across BFG Rugged Terrains at a good price. Has anyone used them on a WJ?

I trust the brand, but are these noisy or good for rainy weather? We get a lot of rain in New Zealand.
No

Yes. It feels like I'm suctioned to the road in the rain. And I drove in a bad, bad storm a few weeks ago. Night and day compared to my old worn out A/T's.
Bhamshooter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2013, 10:51 PM   #12
Kiwi Jeeper
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Auckland (New Zealand)
Posts: 806
Thanks for the input. I guess its not a popular tyre for Grand Cherokees.
__________________
'01 TJ Renegade I6 4.0L
'03 WG Limited V8 4.7L
'12 JK Rubicon V6 3.6L
Kiwi Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2013, 05:19 AM   #13
mschi772
Registered User
1997 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Racine, WI
Posts: 2,366
It's a relatively new tire, and a lot of people either stick to what they know (good or bad) or just buy whatever is cheapest at their chosen local tire establishment. Tires are the only thing that attaches your vehicle to the ground, and without good tires, power/braking/handling don't mean anything. I wish people would take them more seriously and do a better job shopping for quality tires, but they don't. That's why you're not seeing a lot of them around.
__________________
Might trade rebuilt 231 for new/rebuilt 242. Contact me.

New sig rules suck.
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2013, 11:32 PM   #14
Kiwi Jeeper
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Auckland (New Zealand)
Posts: 806
Thanks for that. I have ordered a set to be fitted next week. I trust the brand and the shop that recommended them based on my intended use, lets see how it goes.
__________________
'01 TJ Renegade I6 4.0L
'03 WG Limited V8 4.7L
'12 JK Rubicon V6 3.6L
Kiwi Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2013, 06:22 AM   #15
Kiwi Jeeper
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Auckland (New Zealand)
Posts: 806
Got them installed today in size 245/65R17 (closest to stock possible).

First impressions are good. Sidewalls are stiffer which makes turning a bit more stable (less boat action). It was dry today so can't say anything about wet road performance.
__________________
'01 TJ Renegade I6 4.0L
'03 WG Limited V8 4.7L
'12 JK Rubicon V6 3.6L
Kiwi Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.