JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Tires & Wheels (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f15/)
-   -   BFG Rugged Terrains on my Jeep (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f15/bfg-rugged-terrains-my-jeep-1529787/)

Bhamshooter 05-29-2013 02:25 PM

BFG Rugged Terrains on my Jeep

Just wanted to toss out a few pics I snapped at lunch in case anyone wanted to see these mounted.

31x10.50 on my stock rims.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...6D7F6EDC83.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...6D89B53777.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...6D91B8285E.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...6DA0C05059.jpg

VietVet67 05-30-2013 11:09 AM

Nice Jeep those are the tires i have picked to reshoe the Lj this fall--Do you like them?? How's the ride and MPG any difference ??

Bhamshooter 05-30-2013 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VietVet67 (Post 15498708)
Nice Jeep those are the tires i have picked to reshoe the Lj this fall--Do you like them?? How's the ride and MPG any difference ??

They ride similar to the A/T's that were on there. I went from a 30x9.50 to a 31x10.50. MPG appears to be about the same. I got close to 15 mpg on the last tank. Mostly city driving. 10 miles of slow and go on the interstate each morning and afternoon (rarely getting above 3rd or 4th gear), and then a little cruising on the weekends.

Janderson6786 05-30-2013 08:22 PM

i have those tires on my 1995 ZJ I6, they arnt worth the money. They are fine trailriding and some tiny mud holes but once you get anything more than that they start caking up and spinning.

mschi772 05-30-2013 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janderson6786 (Post 15500938)
i have those tires on my 1995 ZJ I6, they arnt worth the money. They are fine trailriding and some tiny mud holes but once you get anything more than that they start caking up and spinning.

Considering they're marketed as a highway tire, you shouldn't expect them to handle that kind of stuff.

They're one of my top recommendations for people who don't go offroad often if ever but still might want the look or slightly more dependable traction in dry offroad conditions. A perfect tire? Nope, but they're good at what they're intended for.

Bhamshooter 06-05-2013 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janderson6786 (Post 15500938)

Quote:

Originally Posted by mschi772 (Post 15501050)
Considering they're marketed as a highway tire, you shouldn't expect them to handle that kind of stuff.

They're one of my top recommendations for people who don't go offroad often if ever but still might want the look or slightly more dependable traction in dry offroad conditions. A perfect tire? Nope, but they're good at what they're intended for.

Yeah, I don't go mudding anymore. Did enough of that as a teenager. I mainly have the Jeep as a fun daily driver. I'm too busy with a pregnant wife, and a soon to be infant for the foreseeable future, to have any time to go wheeling. I wanted something a bit larger for now without having to lift it. That is in the plans, but not just yet. Every time I'm about to pull the trigger, I think about how much formula and diapers that money will buy, and how little benefit I would get in the short run of lifting it to do it.

3X4X4 06-11-2013 09:03 PM

My Tacoma and my previous tundra came with those. They are a good riding multi-purpose street tire. I like them. I have 33X12.5X15 on my TJ Rubie now but I plan to pick up a second set of wheels and the Rugged Trails or Long Trails are my choice for DD and long trips. I also had the Long Trails on my wife's Liberty and on my old HiLux. They go forever and are good traction in rain and snow.

I think you made a fine choice for your purpose, and nice Jeep too.

J.

Charley3 06-15-2013 04:47 PM

I like Rugged Terrains and Goodyear GSA for pavement and gravel roads, which is what I think they are intended for.

I like them on pavement because similar pavement performance as highway tires.

I like them on gravel roads because they are tougher than highway tires, and don't pick up gravel between treads like most (perhaps all) ATs do.

For someone who drives mostly on paved roads, but also drives on gravel roads often, these types of tires are ideal, IMO. For example, a person who doesn't off road, but lives up a gravel driveway.

---

However, I run AT for more traction, and just have to tolerate them picking up some gravel. My Cooper AT3 don't pickup as much gravel as orher ATs I've had. General Grabber AT2 was worst I've had for picking up gravel. BFG AT picked up a medium amount of gravel.

---

The Goodyear GSA I had were really good about not picking up gravel, and they were tougher than highway tires. I think same for BFG Rugged Terrain.

3X4X4 06-22-2013 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charley3 (Post 15565646)
I like Rugged Terrains and Goodyear GSA for pavement and gravel roads, which is what I think they are intended for.

I like them on pavement because similar pavement performance as highway tires.

I like them on gravel roads because they are tougher than highway tires, and don't pick up gravel between treads like most (perhaps all) ATs do.

For someone who drives mostly on paved roads, but also drives on gravel roads often, these types of tires are ideal, IMO. For example, a person who doesn't off road, but lives up a gravel driveway.

---

However, I run AT for more traction, and just have to tolerate them picking up some gravel. My Cooper AT3 don't pickup as much gravel as orher ATs I've had. General Grabber AT2 was worst I've had for picking up gravel. BFG AT picked up a medium amount of gravel.

---

The Goodyear GSA I had were really good about not picking up gravel, and they were tougher than highway tires. I think same for BFG Rugged Terrain.

Your thinking is good. I live down a gravel road and have a gravel drive. I explore lot's of gravel roads but do not "wheel" my Jeep as sport. The ATs are constantly slinging rocks, the Rugged Terrain did not.

Kiwi Jeeper 06-25-2013 03:17 AM

I need new tyres for the Grand Cherokee, came across BFG Rugged Terrains at a good price. Has anyone used them on a WJ?

I trust the brand, but are these noisy or good for rainy weather? We get a lot of rain in New Zealand.

Bhamshooter 06-25-2013 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiwi Jeeper (Post 15604111)
I need new tyres for the Grand Cherokee, came across BFG Rugged Terrains at a good price. Has anyone used them on a WJ?

I trust the brand, but are these noisy or good for rainy weather? We get a lot of rain in New Zealand.

No

Yes. It feels like I'm suctioned to the road in the rain. And I drove in a bad, bad storm a few weeks ago. Night and day compared to my old worn out A/T's.

Kiwi Jeeper 06-25-2013 09:51 PM

Thanks for the input. I guess its not a popular tyre for Grand Cherokees.

mschi772 06-26-2013 04:19 AM

It's a relatively new tire, and a lot of people either stick to what they know (good or bad) or just buy whatever is cheapest at their chosen local tire establishment. Tires are the only thing that attaches your vehicle to the ground, and without good tires, power/braking/handling don't mean anything. I wish people would take them more seriously and do a better job shopping for quality tires, but they don't. That's why you're not seeing a lot of them around.

Kiwi Jeeper 06-26-2013 10:32 PM

Thanks for that. I have ordered a set to be fitted next week. I trust the brand and the shop that recommended them based on my intended use, lets see how it goes.

Kiwi Jeeper 07-02-2013 05:22 AM

Got them installed today in size 245/65R17 (closest to stock possible).

First impressions are good. Sidewalls are stiffer which makes turning a bit more stable (less boat action). It was dry today so can't say anything about wet road performance.

The time now is 02:52 AM.