BFG MT Custom Grooving / siping - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > BFG MT Custom Grooving / siping

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 02-29-2008, 06:50 AM   #1
ChrisYJ - Italy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

BFG MT Custom Grooving / siping

Hi to all, i am considering to do my own grooving and/or siping on my 35x12,50-15 BFGs. I think they could perform better with some sipes in them as i spend a lot of time in ice and snow. Maybe i could also use some extra groovin, but i'm not too sure about this.
I was just curious to see what you guys have done, and how it worked out for you.
Pics of modified BFGs are greatly appreciated!
Thanks to all!!!
Chris

ChrisYJ - Italy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-29-2008, 08:35 AM   #2
hoseclamp
2004 TJ Wrangler 

315/75-16 MT's, worked very well, improved traction on snow/ice, and made tire quieter. Definitely recommend it.

JEEPS ARE NOT CARS, STOP CALLING YOUR JEEP A CAR!!!!!!!!
hoseclamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-29-2008, 11:50 AM   #3
ChrisYJ - Italy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Cool.... how long have you ran that set? how does it hold up ?
I see you did also the outer lugs, i was thinking doing just the center blocks, but i guess that if you leave like an inch on the side unsiped it's fine... do you confirm?
Wich terrain you rode those on? rocks, road? gravel roads?
Sorry for the bunch of ??? but i really don't want to trash my new set of tires!!

Thank you so much!!!!
Unread 02-29-2008, 06:04 PM   #4
mg2000xj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Looks like it was cut with a razor blade or something, arent the grooves in siped tires wider than that?
Utah Jeep Crew Member #119
My Webshots
New Build
Old Build
mg2000xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-29-2008, 06:24 PM   #5
hazmat
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I did the same to my 33x10.5 as hoseclamp. No siping on outer lugs though. I used a razor sharp folding knife. They worked awesome in last weeks. snow slush fest we had here!Good in rain as well. I only ride moderate trails and fields so no rock damage to speak of.
http://s33.photobucket.com/albums/d5...nt=Hazmat2.jpg http://s33.photobucket.com/albums/d5...nt=Hazmat1.jpg06 x, 4.0 6spd d30 and 44 4.10's tru tracs fr and rear. bds 3in lift ,skyjacker st stab. jks bl and bmml, jks discos, 33x10.5r15 bfg mt's on black d's, src r bumper/swingout,
hazmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2008, 04:08 PM   #6
ChrisYJ - Italy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Nobody with extra grooving? I think i will surley go on the siping, still thinking about the grooving..
Unread 03-03-2008, 08:02 PM   #7
CB3
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisYJ - Italy View Post
Hi to all, i am considering to do my own grooving and/or siping on my 35x12,50-15 BFGs. I think they could perform better with some sipes in them as i spend a lot of time in ice and snow. Maybe i could also use some extra groovin, but i'm not too sure about this.
I was just curious to see what you guys have done, and how it worked out for you.
Pics of modified BFGs are greatly appreciated!
Thanks to all!!!
Chris
I've never grooved or siped a tire myself, but I had a tire sipe my Cooper ST recently. I had their center treads siped, but not the outer at all because each outer tread already has 3 deep, wide factory sipes.

The tire stores put them on an automated machine, which might not get each sipe where it's supposed to be, or maybe that's from a careless, lazy operator. Some of my sipes, many of them really, are to near the end of a lug. So those lugs will chunk for sure, but it probably won't matter since it's only on the leading or trailing edge of many lugs, but most of each lug will not chunk, IMO. So they did a good enough job, but I'm sure they could have done a lot better if they tried/cared more. However, even with a careful machine operator, I don't think a machine can ever be as accurate or as good as done manually with a razor knife, like a sheetrock knife with new blades.

Point is, you can do a much better job yourself because you do it manually, and because it's your tire and so you care a lot.

I started a thread about this do it yourself siping and grooving a while back. I've never done it myself, but would love to do my own next set of tires. The thread I started included links to where you can guy tire groovers, sipers, and grinding wheels for "adjusting" tire tread. It looks like the equipment doesn't cost that much.

I'd like a BFG MT 33 X 10.5 R15 with a groove in center of each center tread running at a right angle to the tread (approx right angle to tire rotation), and then add a few sipes on each side of the groove.

You can buy a grooving iron for about $75. You can also buy some type of special siping knife that uses razor blades (I assume of the sheetrock knife type blade), or just use a sheetrock knife with new, sharp blade to add your sipes.

Yes, I do think adding your own to a BFG MT is a great idea, and it's also economical. The tire store charge me $75 to do a sloppy job on my 5 tires. For that same $75 I could have bought a groover, or less money than that I could have bought a specialty siping knife, or used my sheetrock knife for free, and I dam well know I'd have done a more careful job than the tire store did.

So ya, doing it yourself is the best, IMO, and it's affordable too.

If you want the links to wear to buy the tire groover, siper, and grinding wheel, you'll have to find the thread I posted about that a few weeks ago.

Last edited by CB3; 03-03-2008 at 10:09 PM..
CB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2008, 08:06 PM   #8
CB3
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg2000xj View Post
Looks like it was cut with a razor blade or something, arent the grooves in siped tires wider than that?
Factory sipes are molded into the tire during manufacture and are wider than that.

Tire store, or do it yourself, cut sipes have no width to them because it's a razor thin cut and the rubber closes back up around it, except when it needs to open to grab some traction.
Unread 03-03-2008, 08:13 PM   #9
CB3
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Hoseclamp, I'd be interested to know your reasons for running the sipes at the diagonal angle, rather than more at a right angle to tire rotation like most tire stores cut them.

It appears that your diagonal angle would be more durable against chipping/chunking, but not add as much traction as sipes at a right angle to tire rotation. Am I correct?

Did you cut them yourself, or have your tire store cut them? How do your siped BFG MT would on ice? That's the ultimate test, IMO.
Unread 03-03-2008, 09:38 PM   #10
ptowntj
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I had a store do mine, and got sloppy results...I have 2k miles on my mtr's and have already chunked them up because they sipped the ends of the lugs...they do well in the ice though...only downside is getting firt in between, but it works its way out.
Unread 03-03-2008, 10:10 PM   #11
CB3
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptowntj View Post
I had a store do mine, and got sloppy results...I have 2k miles on my mtr's and have already chunked them up because they sipped the ends of the lugs...they do well in the ice though...only downside is getting firt in between, but it works its way out.
What is "firt"? If you mean "dirt", it won't hurt anything. It gets in between because your sipes are opening when traction needed, and then closing back up. i.e. - the dirt in between proves they're working.
Unread 03-19-2008, 08:14 AM   #12
ChrisYJ - Italy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Any more pix welcome!!!!!
Unread 03-19-2008, 11:27 AM   #13
DYNOGUY
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
CB3 Hoseclamp, I'd be interested to know your reasons for running the sipes at the diagonal angle, rather than more at a right angle to tire rotation like most tire stores cut them.
It should help the tire get more traction as it tries to slide side ways during turns in slippery conditions verses cuts made with the tread for straight line traction. To do it right you would want to put cuts in both directions (think a "v" pattern so you get traction in both right and left turn) and also with the tread for braking and forward bite, i would alterate between lugs and cut it different on my left and right tires. I haven't done alot of siping but have cut a lot of BFG's for a PRO-2 truck and if you do get a tire groover get some extra blades you'll need them untill you get the hang of cutting and try to do it when it's warm out because cutting cold tires is not fun.
DYNOGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2008, 03:27 PM   #14
ChrisYJ - Italy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Ok i bought this Ideal Heated groover , with some extra blades... it will be shortly in the mail... Thanks for the advice!!!
Unread 03-19-2008, 10:13 PM   #15
CB3
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisYJ - Italy View Post
Ok i bought this Ideal Heated groover , with some extra blades... it will be shortly in the mail... Thanks for the advice!!!
Please post pics and info about your groover. A link to where you bought it would be nice.

Also, please post tire pics after you've grooved them. Thanks.

=====

P.S. - would it be a good idea to practice on an old tire first, before cutting on a new tire? Just a thought.

Last edited by CB3; 03-20-2008 at 02:09 PM..

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.