BFG KO's vs. MTR's - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > BFG KO's vs. MTR's

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 12-13-2002, 01:44 AM   #1
LastXJ
1997 XJ Cherokee 

BFG KO's vs. MTR's

Hi guys,

I finally got myself a Jeep. I've been reading here for a while and have finally got a question that I think is worth asking. I tried the search and didn't get the answers I'm looking for.

I live in AK and don't want to lift my XJ before spring, so I'm in the market for all-terrain/mud-terrain tires in about the smallest size they make 'em in, 235/75R15. Main contenders in my mind are the BFGoodrich All-Terrain KO's (had these on my S-10, loved the tires, hated the truck) and the Goodyear MTR's, but I'm open to suggestions. I need them to perform well on snow and ice and they'll likely see some trail riding and mudding come spring. The prices I've found on these two are comparable and therefor not a real issue.

Tirerack.com shows the user rating for snow as being better for the MTR's, but I didn't have any problems w/ my KO's before through two winters.

What do y'all think?

TIA,
LastXJ

Unread 12-13-2002, 10:56 AM   #2
GREGDOG95YJ

Go with the MTR's!

MTR's are much better for the offroad than KO's and the MTR's ride just as well onroad and in snow as the KO's

"just like all addicts my need to satisfy my addiction far exceeds my wallet!!"
GREGDOG95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2002, 12:22 PM   #3
strangler95

i used to have the KO's and i hated them with a passion, now i have MTR's and i love them
strangler95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2002, 12:29 PM   #4
macb

Have MT/Rs - love em'

the BFG MTs also seem to be very well liked by those who have them, (the newer one with the 3ply treadwall like the MT/R)

I wouldn't go with the AT KO if you plan on getting in the mud and the rocks...I watched a full size grand slip and slide all over a small hill on ATs that I went over without slipping at all...

[url=http://www.cafepress.com/H2RT]No Bling - H2 Recovery Gear[/url]

Bob Supplee:supplee@ionet.net or (405) 799-8977
Stu Olson's great jeep resource site: [url=http://www.stu-offroad.com]www.stu-offroad.com[/url]
macb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2002, 02:51 PM   #5
LastXJ
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the replies, all. Looks like the MTR's are the way to go. I like them better than the BFG MT's as they are siped (a/l a little) and looks like they'd cost me less.

Thanks again,
LXJ
Unread 12-13-2002, 10:54 PM   #6
jeeperjer
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Ive had both in the 31x10.50 size. The MTRs Rock. I love them. BFG did ok. But the MTRs give you so much more traction. Its like a night and day difference.

Jer
Unread 12-13-2002, 11:40 PM   #7
EricsXJ
The Post man

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I also have the MTRs and love them. They are awesome in just about every offroad application. On-road they are very quiet for a tire with aggressive tread.

I have never ran the BFG A/T's but the only area I think they would outperform the MTR is on ice. The BFGs have lots of edges/siping to grip the ice wereas the MTRs don't. I don't feel real safe on ice with my MTRs, but pretty much any tire sucks on sheer icy roads so I don't sweat it.

EricsXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2002, 11:01 PM   #8
91XJLimited

I like to MTR's better myself, just happened to get a deal on my tires, but why are you comparing an All-Terrain tire with a Mud-Terrain?

94 ZJ 5.2 Limited - 6.5" Teraflex lift, Clayton Long Arms, disconnects, 37x12.50 SSR's, Hummer Beadlocks, and more good stuff

[SIZE=4][URL=http://www.geocities.com/lovaboy1599/My_Jeeps.html][color=red]MY JEEPS[/color][/URL][/size]
91XJLimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2002, 11:40 PM   #9
93jeepyj2.5

He isn't. The MT/R isn't a mud terrain.

You probably think that MT/R stands for Mud Terrain Radial.....dont you?

MT/R=Maximum Taction Reinforced

HTH
-Heath

03 TJ Sport.....31" MT/R's on MT Classic II's
93jeepyj2.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2002, 06:52 PM   #10
Dude236

ya but everyone considers the mtr to be in the mud terrain category
Dude236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2002, 07:32 PM   #11
91XJLimited

Thank you. I was just about to say that, but when you look look at an MT/R, it looks like Mud-Terrain tread, when you look at a KO, it looks like an All-Terrain. The BFG KM IS better than the MT/R. And quite a bit cheaper.

94 ZJ 5.2 Limited - 6.5" Teraflex lift, Clayton Long Arms, disconnects, 37x12.50 SSR's, Hummer Beadlocks, and more good stuff

[SIZE=4][URL=http://www.geocities.com/lovaboy1599/My_Jeeps.html][color=red]MY JEEPS[/color][/URL][/size]
91XJLimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2002, 08:21 AM   #12
jeepsonly

I've run BFG MT's on all 3 of my YJ's over the years and love them. They last a long time, offer great traction on the rocks here in AZ and I like a good tire hum when rolling down the highway. I've heard of many MT/R converts, though. Just this weekend I heard from a tire store guy in our Jeep club about how the MT/R's are superior in construction. Something about the MT/R's being formed in a single mold instead of in two halves and then sealed together. Hadn't heard that before. For now I'm sticking with my BFG MT's.

I've also run the BFG AT's (not the KO) and didn't care for them much, mostly because they couldn't offer near the traction of the MT's in the rocks (and they didn't look as tough ).
jeepsonly is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.