Bfg Km2 Or Wrangler W/ Kevlar? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Bfg Km2 Or Wrangler W/ Kevlar?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15”/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 11-05-2009, 09:21 AM   #16
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

If you do technically challenging trails that also have sharp objects/rocks that could be hazardous to sidewalls, definitely go with the kevlar-reinforced MT/R.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2009, 10:11 AM   #17
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

35x12.50 KM2's because they are $183 each mounted and balanced here locally.I still prefer my MTZ's but not for $245 each.
Originally Posted by Jeepsr4me View Post
Yeap its your nuts that giving you the trouble here...... Get the right ones
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2009, 10:28 AM   #18
spdnjoe
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Jerry,
you've been around off roading a long time. In your personal opinion, how are the BFG A/Ts ?
spdnjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2009, 10:35 AM   #19
Bishop Creek
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
35x12.50 KM2's because they are $183 each mounted and balanced here locally.I still prefer my MTZ's but not for $245 each.
[URL="http://img35.imageshack.us/i/jeep2l.jpg/"]
Looks like you got a little overspray of tire shine on the driveway.
Unread 11-05-2009, 10:55 AM   #20
Peej03
2003 TJ Wrangler 

There is a Ram sitting at one of the auto shops in town with the kevlar tires. One of them has a flat. I bet his is pissed lol.

Well if you want my vote, I say cooper stt all the way! lol
Or km2, only because I have not really read anything on the mtr

1982 CJ5 - RIP 9/3/12

1971 AMC Javelin
Peej03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2009, 11:21 AM   #21
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peej03 View Post
...only because I have not really read anything on the mtr
The MT/R took the rock crawling world by storm several years ago, it's among the most popular tires for the most hard core offroaders because of how rugged/cut-resistant it is and how well it hooks up on the rocks and terrain. The new kevlar MT/R just made what was already a classic rugged offroad tire even tougher and better. The two most common tires I see/know of on the big rocks are the BFG Krawler and Goodyear MT/R. Having gone through two sets of MT/Rs, my next tire will be the new kevlar MT/R.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2009, 02:22 PM   #22
sardog12
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

My last tire was the Cooper STT, which worked real well around here. Toward the end of last year, I knew that I was going to need new tires sometime this summer and was looking between the MTZs and the KM2s with a lean towards the latter. Many in our group got the KM2s and they seemed to do very well. Due to the horrible performance by the original MT/Rs in our terrain (unfortunately, can't avoid the mud), I ruled them out completely. Then, when the new MT/R came out, it started getting great reviews for more than rock crawling. One of the guys in our club got a set and I got a chance to look over them in person and watch how they handled on his Jeep and that pretty much sold it for me. I have only had them out in our area twice both times they have handled extremely well, especially the second time which was in some really nasty, slick areas that we all had difficulty with, but I was the only one who ran the entire night in my group that didn't have to be pulled or winched out of the muck. There is a huge difference between how the tread is spaced out for the KM2s and the MT/Rs. It seemed that the new tread design cleaned out MUCH better and easier and got quite a bit more grip than the KM2s in our group. I'm sure that the KM2s are still good tires but I am very satisfied with what I got.
Unread 11-05-2009, 05:06 PM   #23
gribbles
2000 TJ Wrangler 

if you are primarily wheeling on the rocks, then the MTRs cannot be beat (aside from krawlers) I have read the new mtrs clear mud better than the 1st gen, but I'll believe it when I see it. They get rave reviews out west, and I cannot argue with that, but for a muddy environment you need something that will clean better. Again, not to say the new mtrs dont, but I know first hand my km2s are a great all around tire. So again, base your decision on the environment you wheel in and what your personal preferences are in an offroad tire.

My Jeep

2000 TJ, 100" wb on leaves
2007 WK CRD
gribbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2009, 03:37 AM   #24
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop Creek View Post
Looks like you got a little overspray of tire shine on the driveway.
Driveway was just recoated.
Originally Posted by Jeepsr4me View Post
Yeap its your nuts that giving you the trouble here...... Get the right ones
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2009, 06:14 AM   #25
+Crusader+

My KM2's flex very well! Even as high as 15-18psi they absorb the terrain very well. Offroad I don't play in jagged rocks, but I bounced the sidewalls off a few thick tree root-ends, and the tires didn't explode on me. YMMV?

I siped my center tread blocks when new so I wasn't able to compare their performance offroad siped vs unsiped, but they have exceptional traction siped as they are. One hill climb I was descending was so steep I had to hold the brakes hard in low as I flexed down it steering left and right to avoid rolling, and the tires wouldn't slip one bit. Instead the brake linings would give way first, so I'm highly impressed with the traction I've had with them.

I think the Kevlar MT/R is probably a better tire for the rocks because it has tougher sidewalls, that also don't flex as easy (according to reports), and the larger lug spacing would allow them to grab edges like fingers crawling up. Total speculation though because I haven't used them, but I honestly believe they are both such good tires you can't go wrong with whichever you choose.
Unread 11-06-2009, 08:14 AM   #26
BYuen
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopeLovesYa View Post
I think the Kevlar MT/R is probably a better tire for the rocks because it has tougher sidewalls, that also don't flex as easy (according to reports), and the larger lug spacing would allow them to grab edges like fingers crawling up. Total speculation though because I haven't used them, but I honestly believe they are both such good tires you can't go wrong with whichever you choose.
Yes my friend that is total speculation especially if you've never seen them . Look at these pictures and tell me the new Wrangler MTR kevlars don't flex ridiculously well or just as good as your KM2s if not better.

BYuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2009, 08:17 AM   #27
2doorxj

1998 XJ Cherokee 

i've actually had both, ive got to say the MTR with kevlar is better, much less road noise, supposedly stronger, ect.
2doorxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2009, 09:44 AM   #28
Zen
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Those first two pics of the red JK are Phil Day's Trail Duty JK. Those MT/Rs are 40" tires at, I think, 8 psi. I was there that day. His biggest complaint about the MT/Rs is the same as mine. They flex, but you have to air way, way down. Neither of us have lost a bead yet however.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2009, 09:45 AM   #29
saltydawg1845
2000 TJ Wrangler 

does anyone have any exprience with either of these tires on icey and or snowy road conditions? if soo how did they perform?
saltydawg1845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2009, 04:47 AM   #30
+Crusader+

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYuen View Post
Yes my friend that is total speculation especially if you've never seen them . Look at these pictures and tell me the new Wrangler MTR kevlars don't flex ridiculously well or just as good as your KM2s if not better.

You forgot to highlight where I said "(according to reports)" ... bad boy.

I read the entire link you provided and I've seen flex pics. Most any tire will flex well with beadlocks and single digit air. I'm not saying the MT/R's are bad, I'm just reiterating what users have said regarding needing to air WAY down to get the sidewall flexing. Look at that one picture in the link you provided of those 35's dropped to like 12psi ... the sidewall is not wrapping very much as it appears to me ... can be a good or a bad thing since everyone has their own tastes.

If the MT/R's flex as well as KM2's I don't know having never ran both, I simply said how well mine flex even when just dropped a few pounds below street pressure. That's relative to other tires I've had, which is why these impressed me. I think because of the "linear flex zones" built into the design? Which can be a good or a bad thing.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.