BFG All Terrains or Mud Terrains..... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > BFG All Terrains or Mud Terrains.....

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 04-27-2004, 11:24 PM   #1
JBassXJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

BFG All Terrains or Mud Terrains.....

Ok, so I've searched throughout this forum to see if maybe one was more superior to the other, and I have found some answers.

Basically though, I was wondering which would be the better buy, the BFG AT's or the MT's.

When my current set of 235 75 Rwhatever run real low, I will be getting either the AT or MT 30 x 9.5 and a 2" lift.

These tires will be going on my daily driver that doesn't see really much dirt, but when I do hit the trails (which I love doing ), it might see a decent amount of mud. I'm not really into mudding cuz I don't like cleaning afterwards Really, the wear and tear will be mainly on road, so I guess I'm just looking to see which would be the best for my buck (which I don't have much of.... ) and still perform well off-road.

I do know for sure though the MT's would look awesome! But I don't have the luxury to go solely for looks, but if they would be better for me to get, then that would rock. So if you guys could possibly tell me the distinct or just the differences between where the two handle the best and in what conditions, I'd be highly appreciative! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake
Pics or ban.
JBassXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2004, 07:52 AM   #2
MSHarnett
Broke Bogger

I would get the muds over the at anyday. I had the ATs before the MTs and for some reason the ATs wore pretty fast, the Muds are deffinatly lasting longer. I do mostly road drving too, but love the rocks and some mud. The ATs pretty much suck off road compared to the muds. The only think I really saw that ATs were good for is the snow. MTs did pretty good last winter though.

EDIT: Kumho MTs are cheaper than BFG Muds and are almost the same thing.

Last edited by MSHarnett; 04-28-2004 at 07:57 AM..
MSHarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2004, 06:58 PM   #3
JBassXJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHarnett
I would get the muds over the at anyday. I had the ATs before the MTs and for some reason the ATs wore pretty fast, the Muds are deffinatly lasting longer. I do mostly road drving too, but love the rocks and some mud. The ATs pretty much suck off road compared to the muds. The only think I really saw that ATs were good for is the snow. MTs did pretty good last winter though.

EDIT: Kumho MTs are cheaper than BFG Muds and are almost the same thing.
What kind of MTs are you runnin? Are you doing the kumho or bfg?

I bet most of the people on this site proly have MT's cuz they just look cooler, but thanks for giving me your experience since you've had ATs before as well.

Quote:
Pics or ban.
Unread 04-29-2004, 06:53 AM   #4
MSHarnett
Broke Bogger

Oh whoops, sorry. I have the BFG MTs.
Unread 04-29-2004, 10:52 AM   #5
xxxflhrci

The right tire depends on your driving conditions. If you are gonna use them in much snow, go for the ATs. If not, the MTs will probably be your tire of choice. The only slight downsides is that I know of is that they will cost a little more and probably be a little more noisy on the road.

Now as for wear, I can attest to how long the ATs last. I have a set on my truck that now have 82k on them and will last several thousand more. I also have a set on my YJ. They have 25k and look like new. I have no personal experience with the MTs in the wear department.
xxxflhrci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2004, 07:36 PM   #6
Spiderman

I had the same delema a few months ago. The MT's look a lot better, but up here in Michigan, where we have 9 months of winter and 3 months of bad skiing, I opted for the BFG A/T's. I guess if you're in Texas, go with the MT's.
33 X 12.50 BFG A/T's with A/R Atlas 15 X 8 wheels
4.56's, RE 3.5" lift, Currie 1" BL, M.O.R.E. 1" MML
Aussie D30 Locker, & other crap[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2004, 05:37 PM   #7
Cynic

m/t vs a/t

1. m/t better offroad, a/t better onroad
2. m/t more prone to hydroplaning compared to a/t
3. a/t better in snow (m/t's can be siped for better snow traction)
4. m/t more expensive
5. m/t looks cooler
6. m/t is louder then a/t, m/ts arent deafing loud but a/ts are practially silent
7. m/t USUALLY wear out faster then a/t.....the more aggressive the tread the less sees the ground the faster it wears....

i run bfg a/t and i love them....while no as good offroad as the m/t its street manors are great and they still look pretty good, though not as good as the m/t's....i drive alot in the snow for work and the a/ts were AMAZING this last winter...i'm a very satisfied customer with the a/ts....i MIGHT get the m/ts next time, i've had these a/ts for about 15k miles and they still look new so it will be awhile.. HTH
Cynic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2004, 08:16 PM   #8
JBassXJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for all the replies!

Sorry I couldn't post sooner.

So I'm back to point A although now I know a lot more info and some have had experience on the matter of both tires.

Well, texas doesn't get much snow if any at all, so I wouldn't need the AT's for that.

But then I would love for a longer life tire, seeing as how I don't think I'm gonna be getting my extra lift sooner then later.

But then the MT's are better for off-road purposes and they just look balla!

Well, thanks for all the opinions and experiences and stuff. I did have my questions answered, now it's just the decision of which to get! I hope this lil' thread helps out others that are wondering the same thing!

Quote:
Pics or ban.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.