BEST way to balance a large tire - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > BEST way to balance a large tire

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 04-24-2009, 01:00 PM   #1
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

BEST way to balance a large tire

Hey guys, I've got 35" KM2s that Discount Tire can't seem to balance. I've been back more than 5 times and sometimes it gets better, sometimes no better at all. Sometimes they go toward the weight strip on the inside of the rim method and sometimes they use pound-on weights. I've continually got a tire wobble at 50+mph up front. I've narrowed it down to the tires. What should I tell them to do this next time? I need these things BALANCED.

Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2009, 03:43 PM   #2
WhiteMtnJeep
The Punk Made My Day.....

2003 TJ Wrangler 

They may need to be shaved.

Journeyman Polyphase Meterman IBEW Local 387

Work with enthusiasm as though you were working for the Lord rather than for man.

http://www.treadlightly.org/

Siena Jeep Owner's Member 25

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-

()_) ()_)-O-)_)
WhiteMtnJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2009, 12:07 AM   #3
chainz
1976 CJ5 

I have found from some people that mudders are sometimes not very round to begin with but sometimes they can slide the tire around on the rim to better balance it I have found that the only reliable way to balance a tire is with the pound on wieghts.Maybe in the end you will just have to have them put the best balanced tires on the front and live with a little shaky shaky
chainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2009, 01:56 AM   #4
Jesse-James
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Having them put all the weights on the inside by chance? That won't correct for a dynamic inbalance.

How did you narrow it down to the tires?
Unread 04-25-2009, 06:51 AM   #5
Schmidthappens2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I have BFG 33X10.5 A/T and have had the same problem. The discount tire places donít know how to balance properly. You need to take them to a 4X4 or off road specialty place. I take mine to sears and they balance them perfectly. The main reason is this: a normal balancing machine is not made for a 35" tire. Try calling around other places and see if you can find a place that does Road Force Balancing. Basically they find the high spot in your tire and match it up to the low spot in your rim. This makes the whole thing as cylindrical as possible. Check the amount of weight they used to balance your tires...if there's not at least 3 oz of weight being used your paying for nothing and might as well leave the tires with no weight. If you feel like experimenting you can try balancing beads.
Schmidthappens2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2009, 01:14 AM   #6
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by imped4now View Post
Hey guys, I've got 35" KM2s that Discount Tire can't seem to balance. I've been back more than 5 times and sometimes it gets better, sometimes no better at all. Sometimes they go toward the weight strip on the inside of the rim method and sometimes they use pound-on weights. I've continually got a tire wobble at 50+mph up front. I've narrowed it down to the tires. What should I tell them to do this next time? I need these things BALANCED.

Go to 4wheelparts in Indy on E. Washington i think? They balanced my set Krawlers for $60. I haven't knocked one off, Had any vibes, All on the inside where it can be seen. Guys name is brinks, Gave me a good enough deal i drove 5 hour one way. Good luck
Unread 04-26-2009, 03:38 AM   #7
JaikYJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Have you looked into beads? I am tryin them out right now, I have noticed that they seem to work alittle bit better. I dont know if I am 100 percent convinced yet though. But some guys swear by them.
Unread 04-26-2009, 03:05 PM   #8
jeepin1995
1998 TJ Wrangler 

i recently got a set of 36" bias iroks on cheap steel wheels..... i mounted them myself with a big prybar and poured 12oz of copper BB's in each tire...... they roll smoooooooth..... i was skeptical at first, but i'm a believer now!
Unread 04-26-2009, 03:28 PM   #9
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Find a Discount Tire store that has a Road Force tire balancing machine, not all do and that's the only balancing machine that will always get my 35" tires balanced perfectly. If my local Discount Tire store didn't use the Road Force machine as I always request they do, I always have to come back and then I INSIST they use the Road Force machine and then I watch to make sure they do. It takes more time and skill to run so they don't normally use it if they can avoid it.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2009, 06:41 PM   #10
blackattak
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Took the BFG ATs off on Friday & put on new Mickey MTZs on MT Classic II wheels. Before when I was on the highway no shake in the steering wheel, now when I hit 55 mph you can feel a shake in the steering wheel. It is not extreme but figure if it is going thru the steering wheel (& I have a steering stabilizer) that it is likely the new tires NOT BEING BALANCED as well as they could be. Would that be the likely culprit. Do I just need to take it back & get them to check the balancing again (shake can't be the best thing for tire wear I presume).
2004 LJ- 33X12.5 Mickey MTZs, Mickey Classic II wheels, 4.88 Yukon Gears, 3" BDS SL, Rockhard Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier & Rockers. Oil Pan, Warn Gas Tank Skid. & Differentials armoured, Iggee Seat Covers, Warn M8000 winch.AEV TT & tranny skid, radiator & steering box skids
blackattak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2009, 01:43 PM   #11
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

That's purely a tire balance issue. Of course you should take it back and tell them to re-balance them... but to get it right this time.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2009, 05:56 PM   #12
blackattak
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks Jerry.
Figured that's all it was. I'm not sure they even balanced them (they were busy & it may hove been missed) as there does not appear to be any weights added to any of the wheels from what I can see. Sent them an email letting them know last night but have not heard back yet (they often take 48 hrs to reply). Overall I have been very pleased with hese guys & we all can make mistakes.
2004 LJ- 33X12.5 Mickey MTZs, Mickey Classic II wheels, 4.88 Yukon Gears, 3" BDS SL, Rockhard Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier & Rockers. Oil Pan, Warn Gas Tank Skid. & Differentials armoured, Iggee Seat Covers, Warn M8000 winch.AEV TT & tranny skid, radiator & steering box skids
Unread 04-28-2009, 06:50 PM   #13
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I've got beads in my Durango, beads in my Mercedes, beads in my son's Honda. I had beads in my Jeep until the slow air flow airing down got too annoying (yes, I used the special valve cores). When I added Trxus tires a few yrs ago I just didn't balance them at all. I cut two of them over time and bought two more, so that's 7 of them not needing balancing at all. If they did, I'd try the bb's, since they wouldn't cause the slow air down.
Unread 04-28-2009, 07:22 PM   #14
blackattak
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Apparently my shop "static balanced" my wheels & now say that it looks like they need to be `dynamic balanced`& that they`ll do that for me. Not sure what the difference is… As long as my shake at 55 goes away I don`t care.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.