Best tires for a Cross Country Road Trip? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Best tires for a Cross Country Road Trip?

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 07-09-2013, 12:24 AM   #31
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I still recommend Uniroyal HT/AS.

That Firestone Destination HT that Mschi recommended looks good too. It looks to me like a HT/AS.

Besides being good tires, those are relatively inexpensive tires. So a great value.

However, renting a car is probably cheaper between gas savings, not having to buy tires, and not needing to tune up a Jeep you're going to sell soon.

Also, if a rental car breaks down, they get you another. If your own vehicle breaks down, you have to pay to tow and repair.

So your idea of renting a gas efficient car is a great idea.

Unread 07-09-2013, 12:37 AM   #32
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

My dad wants to get a Tesla S electric car. Charging stations are free. It will drive 4 hours (250 miles) per charge at 65 mph. Recharging stations are at hotels and restaurants. It recharges in about 30 min.

If that sounds like a minor hassle, it's not. You have to stop and eat anyway, and fuel is free. For local use it can drive a week on one charge.

It's a performance luxury car. So comfortable and fast when you're not trying to conserve electricity. 362 HP and 325 ft/lbs at all rpm. That's not even their high performance model.

Imagine traveling with no fuel bill, or commuting for about $10 a month fuel.
Unread 07-09-2013, 05:16 AM   #33
mschi772
1997 XJ Cherokee 

To follow you off-topic...I am absolutely in love with Tesla, and their upcoming "AWD" Model X looks just as awesome as the S. Sadly I'll never be able to afford one. There is always this, though: http://driveev.com/jeepev/home.php. That guy is kind of my hero.

New sig rules suck.
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2013, 09:39 PM   #34
Kally

So I looked into renting a car to make the trip. I love the idea of rental cars, always have, always will. Simple turn and burn, don't have to worry about the maintenance or up keep. It's quite relaxing and for a trip like this it would be especially great.

However, for the length of time I will be gone, 1 month, possibly two I'm looking at spending $1500 - $2200. That is without purchasing the insurance they always try and push on you. Luckily my insurance covers me on rental cars, although I'd have to pay a deductible if I scratched their precious Toyota Corolla.

So seeing as I'm not dropping almost $2k for a rental car, any ideas on how much I can expect to be charged for a tune up? Also, when they do a tune up or a "service" (I've never actually had a formal tune up on any of my cars) do they change the differential fluid and transmission fluids?

I know my questions sound pretty juvenile, especially in a place like this but I'm not going to pretend like I know what I'm talking about so you gotta appreciate that.

I like that you guys switched gears to talk about Hybrids, the Teslas are amazing! I live in Los Angeles and see them all over the place around here. I've seen about four or five of them today. They look so good! However, I can't much afford to put new tires on a Jeep so buying a new Tesla will have to wait.
Kally is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2013, 01:05 PM   #35
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Tesla isn't a hybrid. It's all electric. No gas.

My dad already owns a Nisson Leaf (all electric). It's great for work and personal driving all over the county and even up to two counties away and back home without needing a recharge.

He even goes on day trips with one 30 min quick charge to get back home. He charges up at a restaurant while eating. He has a list of free quick charge stations all over the the state.

The Leaf is basically free because leased for around $200 a month (as close as I can remember). It saves more than $200 a month in fuel costs.

So anyone can afford a Leaf. Great electric car for traveling around 2 counties without neededing a recharge.

The Tesla is a great electric car for traveling the state (3x the range). Tesla is also very good looking, high performance, and a status symbol.

Leafs are good enough though. All my dad's coworkers all have Leafs too. The company bought a fleet of them for employees to use for work use AND personal use. Since fuel is free, they have permission to use for personal use too.

That same lease is available to any person with decent credit.
Unread 07-13-2013, 01:07 PM   #36
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Also, if a person buys an electric car, the government gives you $7K. So when looking at cost of buying, remember you'll get a $7K rebate.
Unread 07-13-2013, 01:19 PM   #37
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

As far as your tune up questions, I don't know what prices or practices are common in your area.

I know that in my area oil changes are sometimes included in tuneups, sometimes not. Transmission fluid is never included.

If changing transmission fluid, make sure they also change the tranmission filter too. Costs more, but worth it.

Also, whenever I change transmission fluid, I also have differential oil changed at same time.

Fuel filter should be changes every 50K to 75K. So if your mileage is over that, change it. If it has one. Some Jeeps don't have one.

Have antifreeze checked to see if it needs changing.

Have brakes and alignment checked. Have tires rotated at same time (usually free).

Use mid grade gas because you'll have a little more power for mountains, and a little more gas mileage so you don't have to stop for gas as often. The extra cost of midgrade gas will be offset by the extra gas mileage. This has been my experience. It's because engine computer will advance timing a little bit when it senses 89 octane. That makes a little more power ans mpg.
Unread 07-13-2013, 02:02 PM   #38
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I don't know what a tune up should cost because it varies by what they do and what region you are in.

I suggest you find a Napa car care center.
Unread 07-14-2013, 01:07 AM   #39
Kally

Thanks Charley, all great information. I'm going to put together a check list with what you said. You recommend Napa Car Care Center? There are literally 50 car repair places within 2 miles of my house here in LA. I have no idea who to trust.

I was thinking Pep Boys because if the car breaks down on the road there are usually Pep Boys everywhere. However, I don't know if they are any good or not?

I think I'll check out the Napa place and Pep Boys. Any thoughts on Midas? I know they specialize in Mufflers but they do repairs as well and once again, you can pretty much find them everywhere.
Kally is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2013, 01:23 AM   #40
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

We don't have Pep boys in my area. So I have no idea how good they are. They might be fine.

We have Midas, but I've never dealt with them.

We have many Napa and one Chevron care care centers here. Both have been competant, but Napa cost less.

I dealt with a Mobil car care center in Kansas once. They were good.

There are many others that I have no experience with. So don't know

Napa care care centers are like Dennys for food. Not necessarily the best in town, but good enough in any town, which means I can rely on them when I travel the West. I'm not sure if Napa care care centers are common in Midwest or East.
Unread 07-14-2013, 11:42 AM   #41
mschi772
1997 XJ Cherokee 

In the Great Lakes region of the midwest, NAPA Car Care is common enough that you'll usually be near one if necessary.

New sig rules suck.
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.