Best Tires BFG TA KO or Goodyear MT/R - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Best Tires BFG TA KO or Goodyear MT/R

NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 12-06-2006, 05:35 AM   #1
towerassoc
2013 JK Wrangler 

Best Tires BFG TA KO or Goodyear MT/R

Going to RE 3.5 SF Lift and can't make up my mind which tire to place on the 2006 TJ Rubicon. BFG TA KO or Goodyear MT/R which came with the Jeep. Very loud on the road. I off road in the AZ area both in sand and mountains. Not much rock climbing.

Thanks

Bill
2006 Rubicon, RE 3.5 SF, M8000.

towerassoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2006, 06:22 AM   #2
SpaceWrangler
Gnarly Adventurer

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Location: Where the Girls Dance Different With Familiar Grace
The BFG T/A's are very nice on the road... smooth and pretty quiet. I have no experience with the MT/R's.

My Epic Five-Week Cross-Country Jeep Safari
SpaceWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2006, 06:31 AM   #3
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

well there are 2 BFG tires with that name, the BFG All-Terrain T/A KO and the BFG Mud-Terrain T/A KO. for the moment, im going to assume you mean the mud turrains. I went through the same thought process as you and i settled on the BFG tires mainly becuase the fact that the MT/R's are pure rock crawling tires, they pretty much suck in everything else.

i donno how much rock crawling you do if any, but if you do rock crawling id go the MT/R's, if not, BFG's

I've got 5 BFG Muds 33x12.50x16's on order

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2006, 06:32 AM   #4
BillR
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I use the AT/KOs. They've taken me anywhere I need to go here in AZ, and they're MUCH quieter than MTRs. They're great in the snow also.
Unread 12-06-2006, 06:34 AM   #5
WOLFSTER

I have on 04 Rubi with the MTR's, all my other 4WD's had BFG's. I plan on getting BFG's to replace the MTR's. I dont much care for the ride and handling of the MTR. Granted they do look good and aggressive, but I'd rather drive it than look at it.
WOLFSTER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2006, 07:46 AM   #6
stathunter

AT/KO's are great all around tire...........the only problem is if you take them offroad in any mud you are going to have no traction. For AZ I would imagine that you don't see much mud.

2004 [B]Black X[/B] w/ RE LA 37" SSR's, etc etc [url]http://www.je-ep.com/[/url]

[COLOR="Blue"]In Michigan? Call Jim from [url]www.Jeepin-Customizing.com[/url][/COLOR]
"Do or do not, there is no try" Yoda
stathunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2006, 07:48 AM   #7
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

This exact question came up a few days ago.

Here's the thread:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f15/if-came-down-goodyear-mtrs-bfg-t-km-345727/
Wheelin98TJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2006, 10:00 AM   #8
ASUsax
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stathunter
AT/KO's are great all around tire...........the only problem is if you take them offroad in any mud you are going to have no traction. For AZ I would imagine that you don't see much mud.
I've torn mine up a little off-road in AZ, though. Rocks & heat will rip those lugs off.

My feeling is that the MT/R's are better off road tires than BFG's A/T KO or M/T KM. But the BFG tires are better road tires and will last longer. I've seen some ugly, ugly GY MT/R's that don't have that many miles on them. On the other hand, I see some abused A/T KO's that look fine.

My current set is BFG A/T KO's. My NEXT set will be M/T KM's - I want a larger lug that I'm not going to beat up as easily. I lean away from the MT/R's if you are doing much road driving, but it's a great off road tire.

The KJ will get A/T KO's as it's next set, it doesn't wheel much and I want a good, long lasting tire that's good in the Snow and decent in the dirt. That's the A/T KO. (BTW, I notice you're in Prescott, if you are up in the hills around thre that get a lot of snow, then the A/T KO may be just what you want - by far the best snow tire of the bunch)
Blue Jeep Club Member #197
'02 TJ - 33" BFG MT's's, some armor, yadda yadda. 2" BDS lift/1"BL
'94 ZJ - May it rest in pieces.
ASUsax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2006, 01:05 PM   #9
ryobi

Revos beat either of them, but if you can't get revo's for some reason, I'd go with KO's.
ryobi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.