best tire for snow, road and mud - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > best tire for snow, road and mud

SYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 10-23-2013, 08:46 PM   #61
tophog
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Here in the PNW where we get plenty of rain, snow, and mud the Truxus MT's are popular. I've ran two sets and will get replacing my 35" MTR's with another set when they are done. They are notorious soft which means they aren't going to last 50K miles but have excellent traction/grip offroad and are stellar in snow/ice for an MT tire. Lots of people have had balance issues with them but guess I've been lucky. Quieter any MT I've run (BF/GoodYears). Toyo MT's are great too but too heavy for Jeeps IMO.

tophog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2013, 01:31 AM   #62
Eckoh
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophog View Post
Here in the PNW where we get plenty of rain, snow, and mud the Truxus MT's are popular. I've ran two sets and will get replacing my 35" MTR's with another set when they are done. They are notorious soft which means they aren't going to last 50K miles but have excellent traction/grip offroad and are stellar in snow/ice for an MT tire. Lots of people have had balance issues with them but guess I've been lucky. Quieter any MT I've run (BF/GoodYears). Toyo MT's are great too but too heavy for Jeeps IMO.

they are a good quality tire.. but you are lucky to get 15k out of them and they are 50% more then MT/Rs
Eckoh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2013, 07:33 AM   #63
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I switched from TrXus MTs to the old style MTRs at one time and I was much happier with the MTRs.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2013, 08:39 AM   #64
tophog
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eckoh View Post
they are a good quality tire.. but you are lucky to get 15k out of them and they are 50% more then MT/Rs
Yes they are more ...then again I have appointment tomorrow morning at Discount Tire to have all 4 of my 3 month old 35" MTR's replace for being out of round. Persoonally I have had more issues with MTR's than any other tire. Yeah, they look cool.

I got about 25K out of both previous sets of Truxus MT's, that was with 3K rotations. Guess it depends on how/where they are used, etc. Lots of loggers, etc. running the tires on heavy diesel pickups and still getting 25-30K so who knows. Then again for those looking for snow traction snow tires don't last 20K either due to soft rubber compound. This is where I'm guessing they could get more mileage out of Truxus MT's by hardening the compound like every other MT while sacraficing ice/snow traction capabilities. Boils down to priorities I suppose. Schwab sells tires with 100K warranty ...guess how hard the rubber is no those tires?
tophog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2013, 12:21 PM   #65
Eckoh
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophog View Post
Yes they are more ...then again I have appointment tomorrow morning at Discount Tire to have all 4 of my 3 month old 35" MTR's replace for being out of round. Persoonally I have had more issues with MTR's than any other tire. Yeah, they look cool.

I got about 25K out of both previous sets of Truxus MT's, that was with 3K rotations. Guess it depends on how/where they are used, etc. Lots of loggers, etc. running the tires on heavy diesel pickups and still getting 25-30K so who knows. Then again for those looking for snow traction snow tires don't last 20K either due to soft rubber compound. This is where I'm guessing they could get more mileage out of Truxus MT's by hardening the compound like every other MT while sacraficing ice/snow traction capabilities. Boils down to priorities I suppose. Schwab sells tires with 100K warranty ...guess how hard the rubber is no those tires?

http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/d...mt-t58334.html
do not disagree. i just know i have 40k on my old now called "military" MT/Rs and got another 10k or so left in them i know that no matter what i will be lucky to get half that out of a truxus while spending 550 bucks more for the set. That math just does not add up to me but it does for others
Eckoh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.