best tire for snow, road and mud - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > best tire for snow, road and mud

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 10-17-2013, 01:38 PM   #46
Dave2002ti
2012 WK 

Guess what

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbis View Post
I have settled on a tire that has good feed back every where I have read up on them. Made by Goodyear. Kelly Safari TSR. I have mounted some for a customer in the past and they balanced out well taking much less weight than most tires of the same size. Reported good wear with regular rotation, no surprise there though, regular rotations will extend the life of any tire. That said the TSR is reported to wear better than average. Supposed to good in wet and snow. Price is lower than most as well.

We will see how they do. Saving up right now.

Just sharing what I have found with my research.

Chris
In tires you get what you pay for in most cases except with Goodyear tires which are overpriced for their quality and performance. Only time I would put Kelly tires on any vehicle is if I was selling it.

Dave2002ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2013, 03:43 PM   #47
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2002ti View Post
In tires you get what you pay for in most cases
I disagree. Strongly.

Quote:
except with Goodyear tires which are overpriced for their quality and performance.
Goodyear is a mixed bag of lots of overpriced and underwhelming tires with a handful of appropriately priced gems. You just gotta know which are which.

Quote:
Only time I would put Kelly tires on any vehicle is if I was selling it.
Kelly Safari TSR's would never be my choice given many other tires I'd personally prefer over them, but people rarely have anything bad to say about them, and they possess a similarity to the Goodyear Duratrac which demands much respect.
Unread 10-17-2013, 09:37 PM   #48
noleyy
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKiowaTJ View Post

That is 'on topic'. If you want a tire for mud and snow, You will want a newer technology, Better compound m/t. Factory sipes, Great DD ride. I have ran many types and styles.
Best 'all around tire' for what you originally listed, Would be a STT or Toyo m/t. Both come in 35" and are great in any condition. Get used to them and how they react in certain conditions and drive on them. Good luck either way
Sorry man didn't mean it for every one just lots of un needed posts lol
So with toyo m/t would u recomend sipping them? Unless there already siped and how would they compare to trail grappler and rocker radials? Mostly on mud dirt deep snow like just above rim and also on hard packed snow/ ice? Thanks
noleyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2013, 10:25 AM   #49
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The toyo's would be the best all around bet IMO. They have factory sipes and take minimal weight to balance. They might be on the heavy side of the 35's, But chew through mud and deep snow well. Last 50k and are a bit wider for the deep snow.
The trail grapplers and pit bulls I have never ran.

On hard packed/ice, All tires less chains or studs are equally worthless. That's when you drop some psi and take you're time place to place. Its not as bad as some make it sound. I have been riding on m/t tires for 18 years, Since my learners permit at 14. Im pretty sure there are worse conditions I have not been in, But its nothing I couldn't get used to in a few minutes.

Best bet, After you get a set you like and the snow hits, Go to a mall parking lot and throw it around and see how it reacts. Find out what reactions you need to take to prevent any problems. I still do it with every new tread pattern I get just to be safe so I know what im working with.
Its all give and take, Id rather have the off road tires and huge lugs and take my time if need be in snow, The rest of the year I get max traction everywhere. Not a cheap purchase, But from the reviews and people running them, Id say you would be happy with toyo m/t's and their all around performance. Good luck
Unread 10-18-2013, 11:13 AM   #50
noleyy
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The toyo's would be the best all around bet IMO. They have factory sipes and take minimal weight to balance. They might be on the heavy side of the 35's, But chew through mud and deep snow well. Last 50k and are a bit wider for the deep snow.
The trail grapplers and pit bulls I have never ran.

On hard packed/ice, All tires less chains or studs are equally worthless. That's when you drop some psi and take you're time place to place. Its not as bad as some make it sound. I have been riding on m/t tires for 18 years, Since my learners permit at 14. Im pretty sure there are worse conditions I have not been in, But its nothing I couldn't get used to in a few minutes.

Best bet, After you get a set you like and the snow hits, Go to a mall parking lot and throw it around and see how it reacts. Find out what reactions you need to take to prevent any problems. I still do it with every new tread pattern I get just to be safe so I know what im working with.
Its all give and take, Id rather have the off road tires and huge lugs and take my time if need be in snow, The rest of the year I get max traction everywhere. Not a cheap purchase, But from the reviews and people running them, Id say you would be happy with toyo m/t's and their all around performance. Good luck
Thanks man!
Unread 10-18-2013, 01:42 PM   #51
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
On hard packed/ice, All tires less chains or studs are equally worthless.
I disagree. There are substantial differences in tires performance on packed snow and ice.

Softer rubber and lots of sipes helps a lot. A few sipes isn't enough.

Toyo MT can be good on ice and packed snow when extra sipes have been added to center treads. A lot of guys here have tire stores add extra sipes to center treads. But they don't come with enough sipes for ice.

Trxus MT are also good and they come with enough sipes.

Toyo MT and Trxus MT have soft grippy rubber too.

Many AT have enough sipes, and some of them have good grippy compound too. The trick with AT is choosing one with enough voids for looser deeper snow and enough sipes for ice.

We get snow here, but roads are NOT salted, and many are not plowed. Wet packed snow is almost constant when it snows here, and within a couple days turns to ice. These are the common Winter conditions here when it snows. I never need chains, and we have steep roads in some cases.

Theories and opinions are abundant on the Interweb. Facts are scarce. The trick is figuring out which is which.
Charley3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2013, 02:41 PM   #52
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3 View Post
...Trxus MT are also good and they come with enough sipes...
I had a set of TrXus MTs and they were only ok on slick roads.

I wouldn't recommend them.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2013, 01:30 AM   #53
love2offroad
1994 ZJ 

After getting a headache reading the first page I skipped to put MY opinion. I currently have BFG AT tires and I honestly do NOT like them. I can slide around corners after a small rainfall and even break loose when babying the throttle. I can only imagine what they would be like in the winter. I previously had the Hankook Dynapro ATM and they were great. I went places in 2wd that most 4wd vehicles struggled to get to. My next tire will hopefully be the Duratracs.
Unread 10-19-2013, 06:47 AM   #54
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by love2offroad View Post
I can slide around corners after a small rainfall
This is a completely unrelated issue. After light rain oil that has come off cars onto the road slicks up until you get enough water to wash it off. Almost all tires will have trouble with this.
Unread 10-19-2013, 12:39 PM   #55
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
This is a completely unrelated issue. After light rain oil that has come off cars onto the road slicks up until you get enough water to wash it off. Almost all tires will have trouble with this.
Agreed.

===

(All hail Biffgnar! Sounds like a Viking name. Meant in friendly good fun.)

===

The BFG AT I had (2 sets) had bad problems was hydroplaning at high speed on wet Interstate. That and being poor on mud.

The Grabber AT2 I had did not hydroplane. Even though their treads look similar, the Grabber AT2 tread is more open, seemed deeper, and vented water better.

Theories and opinions are abundant on the Interweb. Facts are scarce. The trick is figuring out which is which.
Unread 10-19-2013, 12:45 PM   #56
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I used to have some older model Cooper tires called Cooper Discoverer LT. They were kind of a cross between AS and AT. They were excellent on snow and ice. They had 4 sipes on each tread block. They were load C and were apparently pretty tough since I beat on them pretty hard in my 96 XJ. I accidentally scraped a sidewall across the end of a bolt (from a shipwreck on the beach) and no damage.

I've had other AS and AT tires that were pretty good on snow and ice (though usually terrible on mud). My Cooper AT3 are good on mud, but I haven't tried them on snow or ice yet.

I had an MT that was terrible on packed snow and ice, until I added more sipes to center treads. Then it was OK.

===

The best I've had for snow and ice is Hankook Winter I-Pike. It's a Winter tire that is rated for year round use. It also makes a decent AT for off road. I've only had it in mild off road situations, but it's been as good as most AT on mud, and does fine on sharp rocked roads. It's a popular tire with Rally racers (who race at high speeds on gravel roads). Needless to say it's excellent when I drive fast on gravel roads (better than an AT I've had on gravel). I've been using it for an AT on my car, and it's been great. It's probably not as tough as a true AT, but it's reasonably tough, as evidenced by it's use in Rally racing where tire failure is a concern.

It's been so good on my Buick, I'd seriously consider putting them on my XJ, if I can get them in 245/75R16C.

===

People often use AT for Winter tires, with reasonably good success in some cases, depending on the tire.

I've found with the I-Pike that the reverse can work too.

A strong year round rated Winter tire can be use for a AT (at least a light duty AT). I don't know how strong the sidewalls are, but I've had them 2 years and on many sharp rock roads, mud, snow, and ice with no problems, and they're popular for Rally racing. So they must be reasonably tough. Been working good for me for 2 years.

===

There is more than one correct answer to the OP. There are some AS, AT, MT, and Winter tires to choose from that are good to great for Winter, and good to great off road too.

So I think that several of the various differing options/advice given by several people are correct.

Unread 10-20-2013, 07:35 AM   #57
Kman09JGC

Ive had destination at's on my 99 4.7 and General Grabber at2's on my 09 4.7 both are awesome in the snow but I like the General Grabber's better.
Black WK Club #107
Kman09JGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2013, 03:59 PM   #58
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3 View Post
I disagree. There are substantial differences in tires performance on packed snow and ice.

Softer rubber and lots of sipes helps a lot. A few sipes isn't enough.

Toyo MT can be good on ice and packed snow when extra sipes have been added to center treads. A lot of guys here have tire stores add extra sipes to center treads. But they don't come with enough sipes for ice.

Trxus MT are also good and they come with enough sipes.

Toyo MT and Trxus MT have soft grippy rubber too.

Many AT have enough sipes, and some of them have good grippy compound too. The trick with AT is choosing one with enough voids for looser deeper snow and enough sipes for ice.

We get snow here, but roads are NOT salted, and many are not plowed. Wet packed snow is almost constant when it snows here, and within a couple days turns to ice. These are the common Winter conditions here when it snows. I never need chains, and we have steep roads in some cases.

He posted asking about the best m/t tire for his needs, Not a/t's or a hybrid, He had the Kevlar and toyo's in mind. My opinion/reply to him was based off of the 'best m/t tire' for the job in the elements listed. IMO the toyo m/t would be his best 'in class' for him for what he wanted.
Unread 10-20-2013, 04:12 PM   #59
noleyy
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

He posted asking about the best m/t tire for his needs, Not a/t's or a hybrid, He had the Kevlar and toyo's in mind. My opinion/reply to him was based off of the 'best m/t tire' for the job in the elements listed. IMO the toyo m/t would be his best 'in class' for him for what he wanted.
Thanks
Unread 10-22-2013, 10:16 AM   #60
Dave2002ti
2012 WK 

Ice and snow

At's, Mt's and hybrids dont have the tread compounds to perform as well as winter tire on snow and ice. It makes a big difference even in the dry when temps drop below 45 degrees on wet and dry pavement and even off the pavement on grass and farm roads.
Dave2002ti is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.