Best AT tire for the money? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Best AT tire for the money?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 03-29-2011, 10:20 PM   #16
RedRock527
1996 ZJ 

I'm running 31x10.5 General Grabber AT2's. I really like them. They look good and have performed very well for me off road and in snow. They are available in your stock sizes too. My tire guy told me I should get 50,000 miles out of them. Overall I think they are good tires.

RedRock527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2011, 10:27 PM   #17
Restruction
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRock527 View Post
I'm running 31x10.5 General Grabber AT2's. I really like them. They look good and have performed very well for me off road and in snow. They are available in your stock sizes too. My tire guy told me I should get 50,000 miles out of them. Overall I think they are good tires.
How well in snow do they preform I'm not saying we get severe snow here in Connecticut but we do get our fair share like per say this past winter '11. I've asked this in a previous thread but I think it was left unanswered. How good are the General Grabber AT 2's in mud? Mud is what I would encounter most up here most of the time rather than sand and trails.
Restruction is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2011, 11:14 PM   #18
RedRock527
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restruction

How well in snow do they preform I'm not saying we get severe snow here in Connecticut but we do get our fair share like per say this past winter '11. I've asked this in a previous thread but I think it was left unanswered. How good are the General Grabber AT 2's in mud? Mud is what I would encounter most up here most of the time rather than sand and trails.
We got a foot here this winter. I went off the road a few times due to big trucks being *******es. I had no problem getting out of the ditches. I could get around in 2wd, but I prefer just sticking it in 4wd.

I have not had them in mud very much, except the one day we went wheeling with some snow still on the ground. Seemed to do fine in it, but it wasn't deep and was just on very mild trails. It seemed to clean out alright. A little better than the TJ in front of me with BFGs AT.

Maybe someone can put their input if they have experienced more mud.

They seemed to do just fine in rock as well.
RedRock527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2011, 11:24 PM   #19
iajet

I had yoko geolander a/t's on a montero, jeep and two explorers. Great tire.
iajet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2011, 04:19 AM   #20
Restruction
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iajet View Post
I had yoko geolander a/t's on a montero, jeep and two explorers. Great tire.
How well does it preform in ice, snow, mud, rain and sleet?
Restruction is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2011, 08:25 PM   #21
RKBA
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cards81fan View Post
There are lots of very good tires out there. But you said for the money, which qualifies things. With that considered, I think you would be hard-pressed to outdo the Firestone Destination AT.
I concur. This tire is a real "sleeper" all terrain. I have run these at one time or another on all three of my current Jeeps with excellent results. They are basically Revos for half the price (and half the hype). While the BFG AT is a perennial proven favorite, they have become quite pricey recently; particularly for a decades old tire design. Destinations are quieter, better on wet pavement, and probably more round [easier to balance] than the legendary BFG.
The very best prices including shipping I find on them are from Roadway Wholesale Tire out of Florida.
RKBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2011, 09:26 PM   #22
Mike97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restruction View Post

Treadwright.com Is that just a good site? Seems like brand name tires just with different names how good is the quality of their tires?

Im leaning toward the Duratrac's because they are a hybrid tire from what i've been reading and thats what im after. How far have you taken your Duratracs? Like what are the limits of them like what can and cant they do? I'd get them in my stock size if it were not load range E which I'm starting to believe is not bad to run on a stock GC I may be the guinea pig to try to use load range E on a stock GC to see how it runs.

In my opening post of the thread I don't I mentioned what I wanted my tires to have and one of which was to have it bear the snowflake mountain symbol.

I haven't taken them very far, I really don't wheel. There isn't really anywhere close to me to wheel anymore.

However, they are EXCELLENT in the snow, I was very impressed with them there. We got alot of snow this winter, so I put them to good use.

And IMO the road manners are excellent for such an agressive looking tire, they're very quiet, and they run nice and smooth. None of the "lug slap" at low speeds that you get with MT's.
Mike97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.