Best AT tire for the money? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Best AT tire for the money?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-25-2011, 08:18 AM   #1
Restruction
2000 WJ 

Best AT tire for the money?

As the title of the thread says whats the best at tire for the money i've been reading that the fun country radial 2's are the best but unfortunately they do not come in my size. So what is the best AT tire tread out there? All imput is welcome.

Restruction is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2011, 08:21 AM   #2
YJteen
1995 YJ Wrangler 

What size do you want? A lot of people say BFG A/T. Ive never run them I have only had courser AWT and its been great for me in a 31x10.5. Snow driving is great and no complaints.
You should be fine with the axle setup, just as long as you don't beat on it as hard as you would looking at a Playboy magazine, the d30 and d35 should hold up.
YJteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2011, 09:46 AM   #3
06slvrrubi
Lovin' Life

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Loved my BFG AT's. Awesome traction, and I got almost 40,000 miles out of em. 315/75R16's.
06slvrrubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2011, 09:54 AM   #4
Restruction
2000 WJ 

Any size is good but im after 245/75R16 and above for at's sizes also looking for hybrid tires that would help out lots.
Unread 03-25-2011, 10:52 AM   #5
MeTmKnice

The Brdigestone REVO/2 have always been my tire of choice, but pretty spendy now. I have been doing a decent amount of research lately and have narrowed my options down a bit.
Falken Rocky Mountain ATS/WildPeack A/T (basically the same tire), Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac, Yokohama Geolander ATS.
On the more $$$ side, You can't go
wrong with Wrangler MT/R Kevlar.
MeTmKnice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2011, 02:35 PM   #6
jeremy04949
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeTmKnice View Post
The Brdigestone REVO/2 have always been my tire of choice, but pretty spendy now. I have been doing a decent amount of research lately and have narrowed my options down a bit.
Falken Rocky Mountain ATS/WildPeack A/T (basically the same tire), Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac, Yokohama Geolander ATS.
Don't overlook the Hankook ATM or Kelly Safari TSR!
jeremy04949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2011, 03:16 PM   #7
stokerdog
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I have had 27 sets of BFG A/T's the 5 tires I just replaced (33x9.50/15) lasted 66k. They wheeled from NC's OBX to Moab and all over CO.
I don't know much about other brands except that whenever I buy a vehicle, the tires that are on it have always been a dissapointment compared to BFG's
Unread 03-25-2011, 03:58 PM   #8
ksgrands
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I've used Yokohama Geolander AT/S ever since I bought my first set. Cheaper and better than the BFG's and Revo's I used to buy, imho. I have them on 2 vehicles right now.
89 Comanche Pioneer 2wd
97 Wrangler Sport
ksgrands is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2011, 05:03 PM   #9
shadowulf
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I have GY Duratracs, very happy with them. Never had any good luck with BFG ATs
shadowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2011, 07:49 PM   #10
Cards81fan
2005 KJ Liberty 

There are lots of very good tires out there. But you said for the money, which qualifies things. With that considered, I think you would be hard-pressed to outdo the Firestone Destination AT. $120 a tire in that size on Tire Rack. I think it prices our cheaper at the Firestone stores once you consider shipping.

The Yokohama are affordable too, as are the General Grabber AT2. Those three seem to be very well regarded for the money.

The basic Hankook and Kumho look good too, though I have seen less longer/higher mileage reviews on those.
Unread 03-25-2011, 08:25 PM   #11
MattIngram
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Treadwrights are a good bang for the buck.
http://www.treadwright.com/c-12-245-75r16.aspx
MattIngram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2011, 01:27 PM   #12
Mike97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

Love my Duratracs.

I almost went with the Hankook ATM, it's supposed to be an excellent tire, and has a good price, but I decided I wanted something more agressive looking, so I went with the Duras.

I'm 100% happy with my choice, I'd buy them again.
Mike97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2011, 09:53 PM   #13
Restruction
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeTmKnice View Post
The only problem with the GYW MT/R is that it only comes in my size of 245/75R16 in load range E now would that be a problem? This is going on a Grand Cherokee 00 Laredo. How rough would this ride?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy04949 View Post
Don't overlook the Hankook ATM or Kelly Safari TSR!
How well does the Hankook ATM preform on terms of off road use (light to mild off road including light mudding) to on road use how quiet it is and how good it preforms in snow, ice and slush and most of the time moderate to heavy rain at times. (For the north east of USA).

The Kelly Safari TSR I really like but I also run into the same problem as with the GYW MT/R's that the only size that I would like/need is 245/75R16 is that it comes only in load range E. So my concern in the earlier post is still alive and kicking. Does anyone have the Kelly Safari TSR's? I'm wondering how well it preforms on and off road and snow so if anyone has any input to the Kelly Safari TSR's that would be welcome and helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cards81fan View Post
There are lots of very good tires out there. But you said for the money, which qualifies things. With that considered, I think you would be hard-pressed to outdo the Firestone Destination AT. $120 a tire in that size on Tire Rack. I think it prices our cheaper at the Firestone stores once you consider shipping.

The Yokohama are affordable too, as are the General Grabber AT2. Those three seem to be very well regarded for the money.

The basic Hankook and Kumho look good too, though I have seen less longer/higher mileage reviews on those.
How well does the Firestone Destination AT performs on and off road I have a friend that told me getting them for off road use is a mistake and I cant say I don't believe him because it seems more like a street tire more than anything. How well does it preform in snow, ice and rain? Shipping is not a problem here in Connecticut because there is actually a warehouse here for tirerack.com

The Yokohama is still subjected to the same performance areas also Ice, Snow, Rain, Slush as goes with the "basic" Hankook and "basic" Kumho please elaborate on which tires you speak of.

I've looked that the General Grabber AT 2's and I like them very much as they come in all 3 of my stock sizes which are

225/75R16

245/70R16

255/65R16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattIngram View Post
Treadwrights are a good bang for the buck.
http://www.treadwright.com/c-12-245-75r16.aspx
Treadwright.com Is that just a good site? Seems like brand name tires just with different names how good is the quality of their tires?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike97ZJ View Post
Love my Duratracs.

I almost went with the Hankook ATM, it's supposed to be an excellent tire, and has a good price, but I decided I wanted something more agressive looking, so I went with the Duras.

I'm 100% happy with my choice, I'd buy them again.

Im leaning toward the Duratrac's because they are a hybrid tire from what i've been reading and thats what im after. How far have you taken your Duratracs? Like what are the limits of them like what can and cant they do? I'd get them in my stock size if it were not load range E which I'm starting to believe is not bad to run on a stock GC I may be the guinea pig to try to use load range E on a stock GC to see how it runs.

In my opening post of the thread I don't I mentioned what I wanted my tires to have and one of which was to have it bear the snowflake mountain symbol.
Unread 03-29-2011, 09:59 PM   #14
XJcruiser
1999 XJ Cherokee 

My Rubicon MTRs are load range E and they arent terrible. You do feel every crack in the road though. You can air the crap out of them for imporved gas mileage and still have them have the proper shape so they dont wear uneven.
Unread 03-29-2011, 10:13 PM   #15
Restruction
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJcruiser View Post
My Rubicon MTRs are load range E and they arent terrible. You do feel every crack in the road though. You can air the crap out of them for imporved gas mileage and still have them have the proper shape so they dont wear uneven.
But how would it fair on a 00 Grand Cherokee Laredo? You also said you can feel every crack in the road isn't that a bad thing when off road and on road?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.