Best snow and ice tire - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Best snow and ice tire

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-13-2012, 02:15 PM   #1
tomjohn777
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Best snow and ice tire

What is the best 35x12.5x15 snow and ice tire. can I get some opinion's from people who live in snow and ice country and have the tire's on their jeeps? please. thanks

tomjohn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2012, 11:48 PM   #2
RockMonster
1998 TJ Wrangler 

blizzacks or however you spell it. not sure if you will be able to find them in the right size but there super soft and super siped. my parents have them on our suby and that thing dominates the ice way better that it did with OEM tires.
Unread 01-14-2012, 05:40 AM   #3
tomjohn777
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I would love to put blizzak's on for the winter.But unfortunately the only come in small sizes. It seem to be very hard to find a great tire for winter in that size
Unread 01-14-2012, 06:03 AM   #4
oldmanscherokee
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Blizzaks.................highly overated. I've used a lot of snow tires over the years and installed a ton on customer cars. Blizzaks are associated with snow tires in the same way as toyotas are associated with running forever, it's just not true and most of it is hype. My personal experience (I have run them) with blizzaks is as follows: they are a very hard tire, compound wise, ride like crap, and the traction is so so. They also wear in terribly and get all kinds of noisey. Many of the customer's cars I put them on feel the same but only after trying another brand. They usually buy the blizzaks only because its the first one out of anyones mouth when they say snow tire. The best snow tires I've used to date have been http://www.tirerack.com/winter/fires...interforce.jsp these. The traction is crazy, the ride is nice and smooth and I ran then for a few years and they wear in nice and smooth and were never noisey, this was on my 01 Caddy STS. As far as finding them in the size you're looking for, good luck, my BFG muds are my choice for winter, they have never let me down and never left me stuck even when I was running both diffs open. We're both in NE but seeing you're in NH you probably get more snow then me in MA but during all those storms last year I did fine.
4.5 inch RC lift
32 11.5 bfg muds
oldmanscherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2012, 06:40 AM   #5
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I was very pleased with my TOYO Open Country MTs. They where better than BFG AT's, KM2's, and Procomp Xterains. I was happy with the Pro Comp XMT's too.

I have a HI-VOID on the Tracker now and am very pleased with them. I don't think they make them in a 35 though. I've only seen them in the 30" range.
SLADE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2012, 07:51 AM   #6
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

You definitely want to AVOID any MT if snow and ice traction is your top priority.

Just about any tire with a decent amount of siping will do. For example Bridgestone Dueler Revos, General Grabber AT2's, or Firestone Destination ATs.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2012, 08:36 AM   #7
oldmanscherokee
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technohead View Post
You definitely want to AVOID any MT if snow and ice traction is your top priority.

That is what they "say" but having them on the jeep (32/11.50/15), the f150 (31/10.50/15) before that, and the k5 blazer (in 35/12.50/15) before that debunk that theory as far it flows with my experience. For cars yeah I'd go with that. Tire pressure is what matters most, I float the trucks at a max of 30 in the winter and will dip it to 25 when we are in the midst of a big storm. The problem I find with ATs is just as in mud they fill and the self cleaning is eh. My old 94 Ranger had 31/10.50/15 Firestone ATs on it and yeah the thing was next to unstopable but it did get stuck and had to be rocked out of a jam quite a few times.
4.5 inch RC lift
32 11.5 bfg muds
Unread 01-14-2012, 09:14 AM   #8
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Basically, Mud Tires suck on snowy/icy pavement, and All Terrains suck in deep mud. A/T are pretty good on 4x4 trails, and depending on your tire choice can be excellent snow tires. A/T's are quieter and tend to wear better on pavement than M/T's. M/T's are great on 4x4 trails and in deep mud, pretty much slip and slide all winter, are loud and tend to wear a bit faster on pavement.

BFG T/A A/T's are good winter tires and can handle most 4x4 trails. Wrangler DuraTrac also are good tires that are a more aggressive A/T. I swap between M/T's for summer and 4x4 trips and A/T's for Minnesota winters.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2012, 10:22 AM   #9
oldmanscherokee
1992 XJ Cherokee 

?????????? I don't know what kind of issues you guys are having on MT's in the winter but I haven't had a single one. I don't slip or slide anywhere, light snow, heavy snow, or ice. The way you guys are talking MTs in winter are like driving on racing slicks on a frozen pond lol.
4.5 inch RC lift
32 11.5 bfg muds
Unread 01-14-2012, 10:34 AM   #10
TjinTopeka
2002 WJ 

My old Baja widetrack M/Ts were like slicks on a frozen pond. But they had zero siping, my Wrangler was worthless in 2wd and decent with 4 engaged. That said in deep snow the M/Ts did a great job.
TjinTopeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2012, 10:41 AM   #11
oldmanscherokee
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Hmm I dunno then OP asked for "opinion's from people who live in snow and ice country and have the tire's on their jeeps", Im just giving my oppinions from real world use like he asked from a little less then a decade on three different vehicles. Unless hes on the higher canadian side of NH we get the same winters. I've just honestly never ever had an issue with my MT's in those conditions and I've had both MT's and ATs over the years. Maybe the jeeps gods blessed mine with super traction.
4.5 inch RC lift
32 11.5 bfg muds
Unread 01-14-2012, 10:54 AM   #12
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

OP asked about "best". Without getting brand name specific, tires with more sipes perform better in snowy/icy road conditions than tires with fewer sipes. A/T's have more sipes, M/T's have less.

My CJ-7, Bronco-II, Ranger, and XJ Cherokee 4x4's have all had more traction with A/T type tires than with M/T's.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2012, 11:37 AM   #13
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I spent all day friday driving around with my 35" m/t tires on ice and snow and had no problems. Only had to lock it in when other people were having problems around me and a couple turns to be safe.

I logged over 125 miles with 30mph wind gusts and ended up with 6" of snow on top of the ice. Also run a detroit locker in the rear and it gave no problems. Was able to keep speeds everywhere and used my cruise in places.

To each their own on what you want to run, But i dont have to swap tires when i DD my TJ or go snow wheeling, The serve the best of both worlds. If i was going to pick a weak point it would be ice as nothing works except studded tires but i get 100% traction in anything else. Good luck either way
Unread 01-14-2012, 04:00 PM   #14
tomjohn777
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yes, this is what I was hoping for. A little debate and some recommendations from people that drive a short wheel base jeep in the snow and ice. Last winter was "BAD", It was my first winter with a jeep. I have a Detroit auto-locker And BFG AT's. The auto-locker while great in deep snow, Was scary on patchy snow and ice. I can't really blame the BFG's But this year I have an Eaton selectable-E locker. And I am getting ready to spend a bunch of $$ for winter tire's and want to make a good informed decision. I appreciate all the input keep it comming
Unread 01-14-2012, 06:54 PM   #15
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I really liked the old style MTRs on snowy and icy roads. Too bad you can't get them anymore.

Sidenote, watch that Eaton ELocker in your 8.8. I had one for 7 years and it gave me some problems. The locking pins rounded off and they needed replaced twice. I was not dong anything stupid with it either like locking while moving. I finally ended up having to replace the locker because the case was distorted and I could not get a good gear setup. It would have needed its third set of locking pins at that time if I had not replaced the locker. A rebuild kit with new locking pins is about $200.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.