Best shocks for on-road/off-road useage for YJ ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Best shocks for on-road/off-road useage for YJ ?

GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.com

Unread 12-23-2003, 11:38 AM   #1
JayJEEPguy
2004 WJ 

Best shocks for on-road/off-road useage for YJ ?

What are some good recommendations for new shocks for my '89 YJ?
The fronts were replaced not too long ago, but they are super stiff. I can't even get the front to depress at ALL( previous owners had a snow plow on it and beefed it up. New REAR springs mounted in front also).
The rears are just blown out, so I need to replace them. I want a shock that performs well on the road and off-pavement, but they need to be inexpensive as well

Any ideas? I had thought about the Rancho RS5000's as they have been around forever, but I'm not tooo sure yet.

FYI, my Jeep will be riding on 1.25" shackles as well.

Thanks all!

'02 WJ:4.7L, Selec-Trac. Totalled 9-12-07. Click to hearKolak 3" exhaust sound clip
http://www.cardomain.com/id/MourningWoody
JayJEEPguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2003, 09:50 AM   #2
WhatWasIThinkin

My personal experience with Rancho 5000's are they are way too stiff. I hated them.

Do a search on OME shocks, they are getting raves from YJ and TJ owners for both on and off road. They are a little pricier, being in the $65-70 range, but what the heck, its only money!

edit: I just noticed your from Mass....the winter road salts will eat Rancho's alive the first winter. Most everyone I know that purchased Rancho 5000's did so only once, and never again.

Todd
[size=2][color=darkolivegreen]*Engine=Stock* *Armor=OYR Rear Corners, SkidRow Engine Skid, OEM Rockers* *Lift=OME 942HD & 933HD Coils, OME N66 & N67 HD Shocks, ACOS front and rear, 1-1/4" JKS BL, JKS front Track Bar* *Tires/Wheels= 12.5x33" Interco TrXus MT's mounted on 15x8 Cragar 397 Steelies* *Bumpers and Carrier=Jeeperman Rock bumpers front and rear* * Other Stuff=1" M.O.R.E Bombproof Torsion Rubber MML, Meridian Gold GPS, CE 8k Winch*[/color][/size]

Last edited by WhatWasIThinkin; 12-24-2003 at 09:52 AM..
WhatWasIThinkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2004, 08:45 PM   #3
thewoodscrew
2004 TJ Wrangler 

i run doetsch tech dt-3000's and i am very pleased with them.

Thats not an oil leak, it's just marking its territory

White Jeep Club Member #8
thewoodscrew is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.