Best Shocks - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Best Shocks

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits

Unread 04-27-2004, 04:54 PM   #1
chow

Best Shocks

I have a 96 XJ with the OME on her right now, over the weekend, I went off roading in the desert and after about 4-5 hours they were done. (heat build-up)
Now I'm not bashing OME, in fact I love the ride it gives me, but I just don't think they can take the punishment of the desert.

Now I'm looking at replacing them and was wondering what everybody is using or would use. I've been looking at the Bilstein 5150 and my price is about $400 for all 4.
Now my XJ is a daily driver and would love to have a nice smooth ride too so please remember that too.

Rusty's Intake & TB Spacer, Banks Header, CSF 3-Core Radiator & MagnaFlow 2.5 SS Cat-Back Exhaust....
R.E. 6200 5" w/Bilstein 5150, JKS UCA & LCA, HighAngle CV Drive shaft, 1987 Dana 44 & R.E. SYE....
Custom 4X4 Fabrication Diff Gards D30 & D44, JKS SuperNerf Rails, DPG OFFROAD T-Case, Custom Roll Cage, Front & Rear Bumper by Ryan's Roll Cage.....
AR 797 15X8 W/FireStone Destination MT 31" , Warn 9.5 XP Winch ~
chow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2004, 02:53 AM   #2
ZJChaser

I'm running 5150s right now and love them. I can only compare to DTs3k and 8k. the 5150s are a little stiffer but so much more controlled. I have noticed they've softened up a bit now that I've had them in for a little while.
[b][color=red]Red Jeep Club Member #127[/color][/b]
ZJChaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2004, 12:39 PM   #3
MSHarnett
Broke Bogger

I like the DT3k very much, but they are kinda stiff so that may be a factor. But for 120 for all 4, you can't beat that. I can't beleive the OME didn't satisfy you though.
Unread 04-28-2004, 11:52 PM   #4
chow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHarnett
I like the DT3k very much, but they are kinda stiff so that may be a factor. But for 120 for all 4, you can't beat that. I can't beleive the OME didn't satisfy you though.
Matt,
Don't get me wrong about the OME they are wonderful shocks, but its just after 4 hours they get all heated up and lose there shock damping, and that goes to all the non res-shocks, thats why I'm looking at the 5150, they have a res. piggyback on them to withstand longer abuse...or am I wrong

Rusty's Intake & TB Spacer, Banks Header, CSF 3-Core Radiator & MagnaFlow 2.5 SS Cat-Back Exhaust....
R.E. 6200 5" w/Bilstein 5150, JKS UCA & LCA, HighAngle CV Drive shaft, 1987 Dana 44 & R.E. SYE....
Custom 4X4 Fabrication Diff Gards D30 & D44, JKS SuperNerf Rails, DPG OFFROAD T-Case, Custom Roll Cage, Front & Rear Bumper by Ryan's Roll Cage.....
AR 797 15X8 W/FireStone Destination MT 31" , Warn 9.5 XP Winch ~
chow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2004, 10:00 AM   #5
CypherNinja

the remote reservoir shocks should be a bit better as far as heat goes, but I'm assume your talking about semi-highspeed desert fun right? (over dunes and stuff, maybe mild "liftoffs" ) The best for that would be a dual shock setup, that way the heat load gets split between two shocks effectively halving it. I have no idea how good the OME ones are, so I don't know where your starting off at. You'll prolly want to look at remote reservoir types with larger body diameters first, though.

Last edited by CypherNinja; 04-29-2004 at 06:17 PM..
CypherNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.