best setup for offroading a tj in canada weather - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > best setup for offroading a tj in canada weather

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 06-17-2013, 08:23 PM   #1
noleyy
2004 TJ Wrangler 

best setup for offroading a tj in canada weather

Ive already had jeep tj with 6" suspension and 1.5" body and ive used 33s and 35s
But i am looking on buying another jeep tj and want to know what size lift would be best to run 35s-37s and what size tire will be best and axles like dana 44 or 60 and what gear ratio

Go in snow a lot and mud and in puddles and crawl up things and need height to get over thingss but dont want it to be tippy

noleyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 02:37 AM   #2
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Best setup for a combination of Winter roads and mud would be 255/85R16 Trxus MT load D (33 X 10 R16), IMO.

If you must go taller, then a taller Trxus MT, IMO.
Unread 06-23-2013, 08:01 AM   #3
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

For Canada, the all around best compromise for a DD will be 35's on D44 axles. Beef up the brakes. 4:56 gears for a 5 speed, 4:11 for an automatic. I'd think about 1/2" reduction (wider track) to the back space.
Unread 06-23-2013, 02:20 PM   #4
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Duplicate post. Deleted
Unread 06-23-2013, 02:20 PM   #5
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

One good thing about the taller Trxus MT (like 34, 35, 36) is that although their stated width is 12.5, they are actually 11.5 wide.

The narrower the better for Winter roads. So a 34 x 11.5 or a 35 x 11.5 would be a reasonably good width (though I'd prefer narrower if available).

For sizes of Trxus that I've seen in person, they run a half inch taller and one inch narrower than most brands.

Lastly, according to 4 wheel magazine tests (forgot which mag) the Trxus performed best in the mud of all radial MTs they tested. For snow and ice they are (IMO) the best performing MT because of soft rubber and lots of sipes.
Unread 06-23-2013, 07:39 PM   #6
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3 View Post
The narrower the better for Winter roads. So a 34 x 11.5 or a 35 x 11.5 would be a reasonably good width (though I'd prefer narrower if available).
This is one of those statements that keeps getting said, but never really gets proven. The story goes, the narrower tire sinks down into the snow and gets a grip. Of course, the physics of the thing tells us this in not true. A 3500 pound rig puts exactly the same amount of rubber on the ground with a narrow tire as it does with a wide tire at the same internal psi. So, the psi on the snow is exactly the same, so it doesn't really sink into the snow more. But, people keep saying it and other people keep believing it.

What is true is that a taller tire presents a better angle of attack to the snow it is pushing through, gets better leverage on the snow, and requires less rotating force to overcome the snow and is therefore less likely to lose traction. Taller the better. Wider vs. narrower? Prove it.
Unread 06-24-2013, 12:28 AM   #7
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

It's been proven many times by many people over the years, including by myself.

I owned narrow tires on my first Jeep and they were excellent on Winter roads.

I owned wide tires on my second Jeep and it was terrible on Winter roads. So I switched it to narrow tires of same height and it was instantly greatly improved on Winter roads. 33s in both cases.

Those are facts and I experienced them first hand.

It's amazing you'd question that. You obviously never tried both wide and narrow tires of same height on same vehicle and tested on Winter roads. I have.

It gets said a lot because it's true. Narrow tires are better on Winter roads. Taller also helps. The ultimate for Winter roads is tall and narrow, like 255/85R16 Trxus MT, which is 33 x 10 R16 and has soft grippy rubber and lots of sipes.

---

Edited in Later: Skinny tires also have a lot more lateral traction on snow. This is because they sink into snow and having snow on each side of tire reduces side slipping and fish tailing. This is true with open diffs and even more true with limited slip, and especially with a locker.

That's not just theory. I've experienced this having owned wider and narrower tires and wheeling on wet slick snow on steep and curvy mountaon roads..
Unread 06-24-2013, 12:46 AM   #8
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

If the OP doubts what I said, ask other Canadians if wide or narrow tires are better on Winter roads.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.