Best road snow tire - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Best road snow tire

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 12-31-2013, 11:40 PM   #91
Ed209
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8000ft View Post
I live in one of those "Colorado mountain towns", Winter Park to be exact. We average 450 inches per year............yes 450 inches per year.

Let me say that no tire is good on ice. Some are better than others, big hard mud blocks are the worst and soft with lots of sipes are best. Sure studs help but really only chains offer and sort of forward grip. Ice is slippery and its dangerous.

I run the Duratrac in a 12.5x33x15 on my JKU can out dig and "winter" tire out there. (Blizak and that type).

The big open pattern in great in soft snow, hard pack snow , slush, rain.

Ice sucks.........
Years ago I used to drive up to all those Colo & NM mountain towns to ski, including Winter Park, in a '67 Beetle and drove around all over those places on 165-15 street tires without chains.

Ed209 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2014, 12:00 PM   #92
jeepjamesw1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed209 View Post
Years ago I used to drive up to all those Colo & NM mountain towns to ski, including Winter Park, in a '67 Beetle and drove around all over those places on 165-15 street tires without chains.
Those old Beetle's never really needed snow tires. Must have been the engine weight over the rear tires.
jeepjamesw1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2014, 08:03 PM   #93
8000ft
2009 JK Wrangler 

and the entire belly of the car was built like a sled, flat and smooth. I had a 1978 Porsche 914 that was built like a bug, mid-engine and rear wheel drive. It was a fun car to "drift bust" with....as long as you had enough speed to slide to the other side
8000ft is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2014, 05:01 AM   #94
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

My then new 1970 Karmann Ghia got two studded snow tires for the rear. They looked about 4" wide and took that car up the steepest icy and snow covered hills.
Unread 01-02-2014, 05:05 AM   #95
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapperd06 View Post
Hi,
I currently have Procomp 31x10.5r15LT tires and I am looking for a really good snow tire but also with good road performance. I have been told that skinnier in tires work better in the snow. I dont mind going to a skinnier tire as long as there is a better grip in snow. I live in buffalo ny and we ge a fair amount of snow, besides the the road plow buringing us in the end of the driveway. ANY SUGGESTION WOULD BE HELPFUL
Thank You
DWP
OK, OP, now its your turn. How about some snow photos for us snow deprived Mid-westerners? Today should prove worthy in Buffalo if the TV news readers are to be believed.
Unread 01-02-2014, 06:43 AM   #96
priell3
2014 KL Cherokee 

I recently put Firestone Winterforce tires on my KL. Seem good on dry pavement and in the rain. It is supposed to snow tonight so I'll finally get a chance to test them. Wheels and tires from tirerack.com

2003 KJ
2000 XJ
priell3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2014, 12:26 AM   #97
jeepjamesw1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Any ideas about the Goodyear Adventure in "E" for a one ton Ford F350 hauling heavy loads. I use the truck in the summer on dry dirt gravely roads and in the Utah snowy winters on slick stuff.
jeepjamesw1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.