Best road snow tire - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Best road snow tire

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 12-21-2013, 09:24 AM   #76
IslandTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Location: where I wheel: N 45║ 36.663' W 123║ 20.935', Oregon
For on road, GY Duratracs + smart driving skills. Else a Subaru with winter specific tires...

For off road, if the snow isn't too deep - AT or MT pizza cutters work well with 8-10 psi. I've noticed that I don't struggle as much with my 33x10.5 KM2s compared to those that run 33x12.5 KM2s. The narrow tires dig down to where the traction is.

Deep snow? Floatation, bigger and wider tires, horsepower, high belly, locked diffs all work in your favor...

1998 TJ Moss [COLOR=darkgreen][B][SIZE=3]Green[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR] Sahara w/ numerous scratches & dents whose playground is on a tropical island that's 33 miles long and 4-12 miles wide, in year-round 82 degree weather.

[Edit] "Now jeepin in Oregon" [/Edit]
IslandTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2013, 11:28 AM   #77
jeepjamesw1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3 View Post
Do they have sidewall cracks or bulges? If not they might still be good. Though after 4 to 6 years sidewall cracks are likely.
So on that note, you're correct about tires being done by age. Most tires I've owned lasted 5 years before developing sidewall cracks. I'm not sure, but I think sun damage contributes to cracks.
The Jeep has always be garaged and is not a daily driver. The sidewalls still look good without cracks. Just some chunking on the tread from sharp Moab rocks and from overuse of the lockers. I still have about 30% of the tread left. I didn't think I would drive it in the snow this year but two days ago and maybe again today it saw some pretty deep snow. It preformed well though. Of course, I cheat a little by using 4 wheel drive and drive quite slow letting the engine do most of the braking.
jeepjamesw1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2013, 04:41 PM   #78
SmitsXJ
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Blizzaks or the Yokohama one I can't think of the name.
SmitsXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2013, 11:06 AM   #79
trickydick
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Duratracs are badazz in the snow!!!
trickydick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2013, 04:16 PM   #80
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickydick View Post
Duratracs are badazz in the snow!!!
How are they (without studs) on ice?
Unread 12-24-2013, 04:30 PM   #81
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I have the wally world knock off duratrac's on my truck. When I got it, it had duratrac's and I only saw 30k out of them and they were 500 miles old when I got it. I have over 40k on my cheapo's and they knock the dura's d!ck in the dirt. Still sitting at enough tread to last until next winter.
They are softer and have more sipes and grab traction on anything. The sidewall leaves a lot to be desired, But I have never had a flat. For the money, The mileage, Traction And ease of replacement as every other block has a walmart, I couldn't be happier.
Unread 12-26-2013, 11:16 AM   #82
jeepjamesw1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKiowaTJ View Post
I have the wally world knock off duratrac's on my truck.
What is the make and model of these tires? Look on the sidewall. Saying wally world does not help me much.
Unread 12-26-2013, 11:58 AM   #83
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepjamesw1 View Post
What is the make and model of these tires? Look on the sidewall. Saying wally world does not help me much.

Goodyear wrangler authority's, They are $148 a piece. They are a Wal-Mart only tire IIRC.
Unread 12-26-2013, 01:44 PM   #84
FAW-CAN-ADIAN
2004 TJ Wrangler 

As for being cheap, when our tires are close to 40% more for the exact same tire we have the right to be cheap.[/QUOTE]

Canadian tire prices are crazy compared to american prices...most aftermarket parts are quite a bit more expensive..... I just put a set of duratracs on my jeep but have had a chance to test them out yet but everybody who has them seems quite happy.
FAW-CAN-ADIAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2013, 05:41 PM   #85
jeepjamesw1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKiowaTJ View Post
Goodyear wrangler authority's, They are $148 a piece. They are a Wal-Mart only tire IIRC.
The tread looks more like the old MT/R's, which are pretty good in the snow.
Unread 12-28-2013, 11:17 AM   #86
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepjamesw1 View Post
The tread looks more like the old MT/R's, which are pretty good in the snow.

For what they are and being im sure wal mart had them made to just pass 'standards', They have done very well by me. I didn't think id see 30k total out of them they are that soft, But they keep on going.
They are actually on the quiet side as well for being more aggressive than most a/t's too.
Unread 12-28-2013, 12:27 PM   #87
3X4X4
2006 TJ Wrangler 

The Wal Mart Authority is a good year tire. It is built to the same standards, good or bad, that all Goodyear tires are built to. They are, currently, USA made. Wal Mart gets a good price because as the worlds largest retailer they TOLD Goodyear they will be purchasing one zillion tires from them and they want them in certain sizes and they will cost this much and they will sell for this much and that is it. And Goodyear, said, yes sir!

I have some on my Toyota, they are fine tires, good traction, good wear, run fairly quiet. I think they have a slightly softer tread compound than the Duratrack and slightly less aggressive. My Tacoma TRD O/R has the 265X75X15 and my buddies Tacoma TRD Sport has the Duratrack in 265X70X17. They are very similar but not identical and for all practical purposes, considering the much lesser cost, get Authorities and save yourself 50 dollars per tire.

And, frankly, next time, I am going back to BFGs. I have BFG ATs on my TJ Rubicon, on my Toyota before and over the years several other vehicles and IMO, it is a better tire, all around.

The best way to have better traction on snow and ice is to slow down. Keeps me right side up and out of the ditches.

And, I am not a Wal Mart fan boy.

J
3X4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2013, 04:41 PM   #88
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3X4X4 View Post
The Wal Mart Authority is a good year tire a lot cheaper. It is built to the same standards, good or bad, that all Goodyear tires are built to. They are, currently, USA made. Wal Mart gets a good price because as the worlds largest retailer they TOLD Goodyear they will be purchasing one zillion tires from them and they want them in certain sizes and they will cost this much and they will sell for this much and that is it. And Goodyear, said, yes sir!

I have some on my Toyota, they are fine tires, good traction, good wear, run fairly quiet. I think they have a slightly softer tread compound than the Duratrack and slightly less aggressive. My Tacoma TRD O/R has the 265X75X15 and my buddies Tacoma TRD Sport has the Duratrack in 265X70X17. They are very similar but not identical and for all practical purposes, considering the much lesser cost, get Authorities and save yourself 50 dollars per tire.

And, frankly, next time, I am going back to BFGs. I have BFG ATs on my TJ Rubicon, on my Toyota before and over the years several other vehicles and IMO, it is a better tire, all around.

The best way to have better traction on snow and ice is to slow down. Keeps me right side up and out of the ditches.

And, I am not a Wal Mart fan boy.

J

Neither am I, Cant stand the place but couldn't pass up the same tire. IMO they have a better outer lug for mud and do decent, But its a purpose only, No BS. Sidewalls on both seem a little too thin, But had no problems with either there. Good tire for the money, Use and mileage I have gotten.
I have them on my 01' s10 Xcab long bed ZR2, Stock size 31-10.50-15.
Unread 12-29-2013, 07:04 PM   #89
trickydick
2005 TJ Wrangler 

My Duratrac's did really good on the ice this year.(Sidewalls seem good to me)
trickydick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2013, 10:00 PM   #90
8000ft
2009 JK Wrangler 

I live in one of those "Colorado mountain towns", Winter Park to be exact. We average 450 inches per year............yes 450 inches per year.

Let me say that no tire is good on ice. Some are better than others, big hard mud blocks are the worst and soft with lots of sipes are best. Sure studs help but really only chains offer and sort of forward grip. Ice is slippery and its dangerous.

I run the Duratrac in a 12.5x33x15 on my JKU can out dig and "winter" tire out there. (Blizak and that type).

The big open pattern in great in soft snow, hard pack snow , slush, rain.

Ice sucks.........
8000ft is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.