Best road snow tire - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Best road snow tire

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAdvance Adapters SYE KitsCustom Axle Work at CCOR

Unread 12-17-2013, 09:23 AM   #46
Michel347

The choice of tires is very regional I guess. But usually studless winter tires are pretty good on ice and hard packed, some are good in deep snow, like Blizzak DM-V1 (I experienced them it the last few days is real deep snow (over two feet)), some others are bad like Michelin X-Ice, and they are usually average in slush.

Winter studdable are usually very good in deep snow and slush, obviously good on ice and hard packed, but only when the temp is around freezing point, lower than -10C studless are becoming better on ice than studdable.

For me with the temperatures and snow we get and living near town, Blizzak DM-V1 were a good choice. If I were further away from town, I would have went with either dedicated studable winter tires or even studded Duratracs.

Basically you need to know what you will have to deal with.

Michel347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2013, 12:02 PM   #47
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Despite your antics, you still know nothing about Buffalo weather.

Starting in December, Buffalo has snow on the ground almost continuously for two months. Rarely is a snowfall more than a foot or so, it does get moved around, pounded down by cars, sublimated into ice by the sun and then snowed on again.

All of your hypothecation about whether studs help in a massive snowfall is pointless drivel.
OK. Why didn't you earlier cite the ice as your reason for studs? Why did you focus on 96" of snow fall?

I went out of my way to be nice to you, even though you have not been nice to anyone in this thread.

I still wish you well and happy holidays. It's good to be good. It's nice to be nice. Try it.
Unread 12-17-2013, 12:11 PM   #48
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post
Or, you know, you could have explained your claims in a polite way instead of being insulting. While you may have lived in that area once upon a time, what I know to be true at this time is that someone from Cincinnati, OH is talking like he knows all things snow and arguing with, among others, a guy who's resided in various areas of Wisconsin for almost all of his life. I know that you get snow in southern OH. I also know that doesn't mean that you necessarily know what true Great Lakes snow is like similarly to how I'm a stranger to what high mountains or northern Canada and Alaska might be like...and how I'm a stranger to what it's like to experience snowfall in a more southern state with lesser infrastructure and more inexperienced drivers.

I may be wrong, but I'm fairly sure that Buffalo is no exception to the fact that NY is a liberal user of road salt. I highly doubt that there are many roads other than some country roads and small side streets that are covered in snow/compressed snow/ice for too long.

Until the OP or someone else from Buffalo actually steps in and lectures us on the nuances of their winters, I'm going to assume that my experiences living near a great lake are quite similar.

Charley said it's nothing personal, but this is neither the first nor the second time you've copped a major attitude in a thread to the point of being excessively argumentative and, much more importantly, deliberately insulting to other posters. Posters such as we may simply be trying to perpetuate a potentially enlightening discussion, but your conduct does seem to get slightly personal on a somewhat frequent basis. Part of discussions like these means there will be disagreements and incorrect assumptions--chill out and learn how to handle those situations better.
Mschi makes a lot of valid points here.

Wilson, I want to back away from unpleasantness and conflict and be nice, but you're still firing at me even after I'm turning the other cheek and going out of my way to be nice.

Wilson, you made it personal with Mschi, myself, and others; but evenso I don't want to continue unpleasantness. I want to have good karma.

Wilson please think about what kind of karma and relationshios you want to have with others because what you send out will come back to you several times over. Also, it affects the quality of the forum.

I'm going to be a good citizen of the forum.

Best wishes and happy holidays to everyone.
Unread 12-17-2013, 02:06 PM   #49
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by samger2 View Post
Let me throw one more thing in. If I were to be purchasing a snow tire that I wasn't going to stud, I wouldn't buy one that's studdable. From what I've been told by my tire supplier (I deal with lots of tires at work...in particular lots of snow tires), the studdable snow tires have a harder rubber consistency to help hold the stud into place once it's inserted. A harder rubber consistency isn't quite as good on snow and ice...doesn't flex as well. So if you're not planning on studding your snows, then it maybe in your favor to not purchase a studdable snow tire.
I agree with what you said, if the tire is to be used only for Winter.

However, I like to run a Winter tire year round. All the year round usable Winter tires I've seen are studdable. They do well enough for me on ice and very well on snow, and I can use same tires and wheels year round.

Examples of what I like for year round (without studding them) are Hankook Ipike, Hercules Avalance Xtreme, and Cooper MS.
Unread 12-17-2013, 02:37 PM   #50
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3 View Post
Mschi makes a lot of valid points here.

Wilson, I want to back away from unpleasantness and conflict and be nice, but you're still firing at me even after I'm turning the other cheek and going out of my way to be nice.

Wilson, you made it personal with Mschi, myself, and others; but evenso I don't want to continue unpleasantness. I want to have good karma.

Wilson please think about what kind of karma and relationshios you want to have with others because what you send out will come back to you several times over. Also, it affects the quality of the forum.

I'm going to be a good citizen of the forum.

Best wishes and happy holidays to everyone.
Don't be so melodramatic. You have been making personal attacks on me since I first started posting to this forum. You are like a damn girl. Dishing it out but not taking it. Just suck it up, post some stuff that makes sense and you won't have to come crying to me.

For my part, I could not care less what you or anyone else thinks of me. I post the correct information, to the best of my abilities, and if you don't like it, then put me on ignore and stop bothering me.

As for karma, I believe in it completely. I am your bad karma. Calling you out. You have been bad mouthing posters on this tire forum since I got here. When I first arrived, I defended you because everyone thinks you are a big A-hole. You post volumes of bad information. Now, I am in your space and you can't bully me. Too bad for you. I am your karma. My karma is doing just fine.
Unread 12-17-2013, 02:42 PM   #51
fang_x
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Honestly it depends on what kind of snow your driving on. Onroads its mostly plowed icy and compacted snow, so a skinny tire is nice because it will go down to the pavement layer and grab grip. If your on unplowed mountain roads or out in the country a wider tire would be my reccomendation.

I Second the use of the BFG A/T tires, i had a set of 33" x 12.50, they were wide enough that they would glide ontop of snow, which is great untill you want to stop. you slide alot more.
with two open diffs too. here's a video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dlWer7bxO0
fang_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2013, 05:27 PM   #52
jeepjamesw1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

???
jeepjamesw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2013, 05:38 PM   #53
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Okay guys, lets bury the hatchet & carry on smartly.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2013, 06:04 PM   #54
roughknight69
1995 ZJ 

I live 40 miles from buffalo in the southern tier where we get more snow then buffalo, running mtrs and do just fine.
Unread 12-17-2013, 06:05 PM   #55
jeepjamesw1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fang_x View Post
Nice video. Just wondering how well the heater works without doors?
jeepjamesw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2013, 11:01 PM   #56
Shock96

Lot's of good points here. I have to agree with Charley and Mschi on the studs. I don't think either of them were overly harsh and hope things just smooooooth out.
Shock96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2013, 05:46 AM   #57
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughknight69 View Post
I live 40 miles from buffalo in the southern tier where we get more snow then buffalo, running mtrs and do just fine.
That about as good as it gets if you like snow. Is it white on the ground, including roads all of January?
Unread 12-18-2013, 11:08 AM   #58
roughknight69
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010
That about as good as it gets if you like snow. Is it white on the ground, including roads all of January?
Pretty much lol depends though 2 yrs ago we didn't get much at all.
Unread 12-18-2013, 11:12 AM   #59
samger2
1997 TJ Wrangler 

here in Ohio it's dumb...we just had a few days of back to back snowing leaving us with a handful of inches...over night freezing, in the 20s during the day...Friday it's supposed to be 52. Dumb.
samger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2013, 09:44 AM   #60
JPGoody
2002 TJ Wrangler 

WOW, I'm totally surprised to see that Buffalo averages such low snow numbers, <100". I honestly thought it would be more. I guess it is a bit south compared to my lake effect upbringings of North West MI and the UP, >150". For what it's worth, my Silent Armours did fine there. They also do well here in CO when I venture up to the land of over 300".
JPGoody is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.