Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Best road snow tire

7K views 96 replies 30 participants last post by  jeepjamesw1 
#1 ·
Hi,
I currently have Procomp 31x10.5r15LT tires and I am looking for a really good snow tire but also with good road performance. I have been told that skinnier in tires work better in the snow. I dont mind going to a skinnier tire as long as there is a better grip in snow. I live in buffalo ny and we ge a fair amount of snow, besides the the road plow buringing us in the end of the driveway. ANY SUGGESTION WOULD BE HELPFUL
Thank You
DWP

#84 ·
As for being cheap, when our tires are close to 40% more for the exact same tire we have the right to be cheap.[/QUOTE]

Canadian tire prices are crazy compared to american prices...most aftermarket parts are quite a bit more expensive..... I just put a set of duratracs on my jeep but have had a chance to test them out yet but everybody who has them seems quite happy.

#87 ·
The Wal Mart Authority is a good year tire. It is built to the same standards, good or bad, that all Goodyear tires are built to. They are, currently, USA made. Wal Mart gets a good price because as the worlds largest retailer they TOLD Goodyear they will be purchasing one zillion tires from them and they want them in certain sizes and they will cost this much and they will sell for this much and that is it. And Goodyear, said, yes sir!

I have some on my Toyota, they are fine tires, good traction, good wear, run fairly quiet. I think they have a slightly softer tread compound than the Duratrack and slightly less aggressive. My Tacoma TRD O/R has the 265X75X15 and my buddies Tacoma TRD Sport has the Duratrack in 265X70X17. They are very similar but not identical and for all practical purposes, considering the much lesser cost, get Authorities and save yourself 50 dollars per tire.

And, frankly, next time, I am going back to BFGs. I have BFG ATs on my TJ Rubicon, on my Toyota before and over the years several other vehicles and IMO, it is a better tire, all around.

The best way to have better traction on snow and ice is to slow down. Keeps me right side up and out of the ditches.

And, I am not a Wal Mart fan boy.

J

#88 ·
The Wal Mart Authority is a good year tire a lot cheaper. It is built to the same standards, good or bad, that all Goodyear tires are built to. They are, currently, USA made. Wal Mart gets a good price because as the worlds largest retailer they TOLD Goodyear they will be purchasing one zillion tires from them and they want them in certain sizes and they will cost this much and they will sell for this much and that is it. And Goodyear, said, yes sir!

I have some on my Toyota, they are fine tires, good traction, good wear, run fairly quiet. I think they have a slightly softer tread compound than the Duratrack and slightly less aggressive. My Tacoma TRD O/R has the 265X75X15 and my buddies Tacoma TRD Sport has the Duratrack in 265X70X17. They are very similar but not identical and for all practical purposes, considering the much lesser cost, get Authorities and save yourself 50 dollars per tire.

And, frankly, next time, I am going back to BFGs. I have BFG ATs on my TJ Rubicon, on my Toyota before and over the years several other vehicles and IMO, it is a better tire, all around.

The best way to have better traction on snow and ice is to slow down. Keeps me right side up and out of the ditches.

And, I am not a Wal Mart fan boy.

J
Neither am I, Cant stand the place but couldn't pass up the same tire. IMO they have a better outer lug for mud and do decent, But its a purpose only, No BS. Sidewalls on both seem a little too thin, But had no problems with either there. Good tire for the money, Use and mileage I have gotten.
I have them on my 01' s10 Xcab long bed ZR2, Stock size 31-10.50-15.

#90 ·
I live in one of those "Colorado mountain towns", Winter Park to be exact. We average 450 inches per year............yes 450 inches per year.

Let me say that no tire is good on ice. Some are better than others, big hard mud blocks are the worst and soft with lots of sipes are best. Sure studs help but really only chains offer and sort of forward grip. Ice is slippery and its dangerous.

I run the Duratrac in a 12.5x33x15 on my JKU can out dig and "winter" tire out there. (Blizak and that type).

The big open pattern in great in soft snow, hard pack snow , slush, rain.

Ice sucks.........

#96 ·
I recently put Firestone Winterforce tires on my KL. Seem good on dry pavement and in the rain. It is supposed to snow tonight so I'll finally get a chance to test them. Wheels and tires from tirerack.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.