Best Off-Road and On-Road Tire! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Best Off-Road and On-Road Tire!

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

View Poll Results: Best Off-Road and On-Road Tire!
Maxxis Bias Creepy Crawler 6 7.79%
Maxxis Radial Trepador 8 10.39%
Super Swamper Boggers 8 10.39%
Nitto Mud Grappler 4 5.19%
Toyo Open Country M/T 34 44.16%
BFG Krawler 17 22.08%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 11-23-2005, 09:18 AM   #1
Viet15philong

Best Off-Road and On-Road Tire!

I am looking for a bada** tire for my Jeep. I want to run 35x12.5xR15 or R16. Which one would be better for me to get? I drive like 80% Highway (around town really) and 20% Offroad. I like these 6 tires cause they are different and there is Very Few around Jackson. Plus where can I buy these tires online and get a great deal? Shops around Jackson, Ms will rip you off.

There is 6 for me to choose from the following:

Maxxis Bias Creepy Crawler

Maxxis Radial Trepador

Super Swamper Boggers

Nitto Mud Grappler

Toyo Open Country M/T

BFG Krawler

Thanks
Anthony

Viet15philong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2005, 09:25 AM   #2
DestructoJr
The Thin Blue Line

Dang, what about the TrXus MT its a great tire not sure if it comes in the size you want but I have no experience with any of those tires, I can say no to the boggers though those would probably be the worst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marneaus
10 because you're awesomely conservative and bash all the liberals. hoorah!
www.offroadoverstock.com

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
--John Stewart Mill--
DestructoJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2005, 09:26 AM   #3
biffstephens

The Trxus MT is not on there? What is up with that?

Biff
242.jpg  

Visit Offroadoverstock.com [/URL]

Biff
biffstephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2005, 09:42 AM   #4
55willystruck

Is this a serious question? At least 80% highway miles on those tires? Of your choices, the Toyo Open Country would be the best for on-road useage and be more friendly as far as mileage goes. I wouldn't run a bias tire on a DD rig-street use, as there's really no reason when the radials are so much nicer. Off-road, yes, but not on the street. At the expense-regardless of how "good a deal" you get on those tires, I'd want them to last as long as possible, and wouldn't want to subject them to highway abuse. If you have the money and prefer looks over function, then my vote goes to the boggers-they are a mean tire, and do very well off-road. In reality though, of the choices you picked, the Toyo's would do pretty well. I know a few guys running them who have had very good luck with them so far and are pretty impressed. Mileage has held up very well and they seem to do pretty good off-road too.

Anyway, Best of Luck,

Mike
55willystruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2005, 09:45 AM   #5
Deezul
2004 TJ Wrangler 

might I suggest.........forget the Bogger if it's a DD......... Also might want to think about availability. It's cool to be unique and all but how much will that suck when you have to order a tire over the internet to replace those(I'd assume you'd get a spare). Do any snow driving? Good luck with an MT....it'll work but.......... I know its "plain" but I run BFG's and they are great for highway driving. ( I at first had the same idea of a bada** tire but threw it out the window for practical reasons)
2004 Khaki Rubicon. Jeeperman Custom Brushguard and 54" bumper, Kilby steering skid, Skidrow radiator skid, SRC Rockcrawler rocker guards, UFW Al Engine Skid, OME Shocks, JKS Quicker Discos, AEM Dryflo intake;KC Slimlight 130W Long range lights, ORO LiteDots and LitePlate, Banks Stainless Monster cat-back, Eclipse stereo, BA Speakers, Jeeperman Handles, Cobra CB, interior leds... more to come.

**R.I.P NOW TOTALED** 98TJ Sport, 30x9.5 BFG ATKO's on AR Outlaw II's, K&N FIPK, Borla Catback,
Green jeep club member #139
Deezul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2005, 09:52 AM   #6
Viet15philong

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55willystruck
Is this a serious question? At least 80% highway miles on those tires? Of your choices, the Toyo Open Country would be the best for on-road useage and be more friendly as far as mileage goes. I wouldn't run a bias tire on a DD rig-street use, as there's really no reason when the radials are so much nicer. Off-road, yes, but not on the street. At the expense-regardless of how "good a deal" you get on those tires, I'd want them to last as long as possible, and wouldn't want to subject them to highway abuse. If you have the money and prefer looks over function, then my vote goes to the boggers-they are a mean tire, and do very well off-road. In reality though, of the choices you picked, the Toyo's would do pretty well. I know a few guys running them who have had very good luck with them so far and are pretty impressed. Mileage has held up very well and they seem to do pretty good off-road too.

Anyway, Best of Luck,

Mike
How about the Nitto Mud Grappler...I heard they do really good like Toyo Open Country tires....I would perfer a tire that have siping on it..

Anthony
Unread 11-23-2005, 09:53 AM   #7
redtab78

I had a set of 305/70r16 (34") pro-comp xterrains on my old truck for about 8 months, and they almost still looked new, i had more than half a penny left..(maybe around 7,000 miles) and they were an aggressive looking tire...
[CENTER][COLOR=Black][FONT=Impact][SIZE=4]'05 BLACK JEEP CLUB #101[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
[SIZE=4][COLOR=Navy][FONT=Century Gothic]NAVY JEEP CLUB #25[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[B][COLOR=Black]AFW Front Bumper | OR Fab Rear | COBRA dx-19 IV | 1" M.O.R.E. BL | 1" M.O.R.E. MML
SHROCKWORKS rock sliders | TOUGHSTUFF hood rack | High Lift | ARB SNORKEL | 33x12.5x15 Timberline MT's on 15x8 Pro Comp 1079's | REBB [/COLOR][/B]
[/CENTER]
redtab78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2005, 09:57 AM   #8
VegasJeep
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Out of theose choices the only tire on that list that I would think would make it an entire year is the Toyos or the Trepadors.

Maxxis new trepadors are suppost to be a hot tire and have heard a few good things on them form some guys i know at Maxxis. I am unsure of the mileage but they said they wanted a great all round tire that performs well offroad and wont kill you on road.

The Toyo Although I had balance issues on the ones I purchased and had were the QUIETEST offroad tire on a vehicle. They were amasingly quiet. They also had very good mileage. I had 15k on a set and you oculd hadly tell. This was making numerous trips pulling my HUGE boat and pulling a car hauler form vegas to phoneix with two cars on it twice.

My chouce if you got money to spend? BFG Krawlers... thats what will be going on my rig for off road duties.
Unread 11-23-2005, 09:59 AM   #9
tweba99
2008 JK Wrangler 

This is what you need. TSL looks and 6 ply sidewall WITH sipping and its a radial.
Super Swamper SSR

Find them here:
http://www.4wheelparts.com/4wp/produ...IRES&man=INTE#
tweba99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2005, 10:02 AM   #10
Viet15philong

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweba99
This is what you need. TSL looks and 6 ply sidewall WITH sipping and its a radial.
Super Swamper SSR

Find them here:
http://www.4wheelparts.com/4wp/produ...IRES&man=INTE#
That was the tire I was orignal going to get but when you posted your thread everybody was hating on them. So I wasnt really sure to get it then.

Anthony
Unread 11-23-2005, 10:11 AM   #11
tweba99
2008 JK Wrangler 

They were hating on them compared to BIAS tires. For a radial tire that you drive on everyday, they are a GREAT tire because they have aggressive grip and have good road manners.
Unread 11-23-2005, 10:15 AM   #12
Viet15philong

Quote:
They were hating on them compared to BIAS tires. For a radial tire that you drive on everyday, they are a GREAT tire because they have aggressive grip and have good road manners.
Oh so they shouldnt be to bad hu...but the price on those suckers are more then the other tires I posted....lol..I dont yet...

Anthony
Unread 11-23-2005, 10:48 AM   #13
tweba99
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viet15philong
Oh so they shouldnt be to bad hu...but the price on those suckers are more then the other tires I posted....lol..I dont yet...

Anthony
???????? 35x12.50R15 is $202 a tire.

Nitto Grappers are AT LEAST $300 a tire and Toyos are $295 a tire. How are the suckers more????
Unread 11-23-2005, 11:42 AM   #14
Viet15philong

Quote:
???????? 35x12.50R15 is $202 a tire.

Nitto Grappers are AT LEAST $300 a tire and Toyos are $295 a tire. How are the suckers more????
35x14.5R16 are $325 a Tire

Nitto are $279 and Toyos are $285.

Anthony
Unread 11-23-2005, 11:54 AM   #15
UCTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Of the tires you have shown...for 80% highway and 20% off.....Id suggest the Toyo's...forget the Boggers.... and really a bias tire is pretty rough riding on road...the Krawlers wont give you the best miles....Ive heard nothing but good about the Toyo on and off road...they ride quiet, have strong sidewalls...thats the way to go IMO.
UCTJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.