Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

best all season highway tires for 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee ZJ

3K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  mschi772 
#1 ·
What's the best all season highway tire for the Jeep Grand Cherokee ZJ for just city and highway driving in Phoenix, Arizona?

I don't go offroad and if I go to the snow I will get dedicated snow tires & wheels.

I currently have Michelin LTX M/S and the sidewall cracked and rotted and then blew-out while my mom was driving it in less than 35,000 in year 6. We don't drive it much and just highway and city streets.

The LTX M/S are rated as one of the best but I just don't see it after these cracked at 35k miles.

We want something that will ride nice and quite, handle well, and last long and work as an all-season tire.

Suggestions?

#2 ·
(In before people recommend their personal favorite AT and MT tires to the guy asking for street tires. WHEN one of you tells him/her to buy Duratracs or BFG AT2's, I WILL be judging you.)

While they may only have had 35k miles on them, they were 6 years old, and if they spent a lot of time in the AZ sun, I say they lasted just fine. Tires can age to death--it's not all about miles. Considering how few miles I put on my tires per year, I'll be throwing them away long before they reach their maximum tread life. If this ZJ is parked outside a lot, consider yourself lucky they lasted as long as they did.

All that said, my list in no particular order is:

(Oh, and I'm going to assume that you have 15" wheels and build this list with 235/75r15 as the assumed ideal size for you; most of these are available in almost every other size a stock ZJ might want. I'm also assuming that you're going to be putting less than average mileage per year on them since 35k in 6 yrs is below average use)

• Yokohama Geolander HT G056
  • General Grabber HTS
  • Firestone Destination LE2
  • Kumho Road Venture APT KL51 (My current 3-season tires--I have zero complaints but have never used them in winter)
  • Hankook Optimo H727

If you have 16" tires, I'd like to add:

• Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season
  • Continental CrossContact LX20
  • Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza Plus

Don't pay for treadlife you'll never use if you're not putting a ton of miles on tires per year. Like I said, they might easily "age to death" before you ever hit 50k+ miles. That is why (overpriced regardless in my opinion) products like Michelin/BFG aren't on this list.

#3 ·
(In before people recommend their personal favorite AT and MT tires to the guy asking for street tires. WHEN one of you tells him/her to buy Duratracs or BFG AT2's, I WILL be judging you.)

While they may only have had 35k miles on them, they were 6 years old, and if they spent a lot of time in the AZ sun, I say they lasted just fine. Tires can age to death--it's not all about miles. Considering how few miles I put on my tires per year, I'll be throwing them away long before they reach their maximum tread life. If this ZJ is parked outside a lot, consider yourself lucky they lasted as long as they did.

All that said, my list in no particular order is:

(Oh, and I'm going to assume that you have 15" wheels and build this list with 235/75r15 as the assumed ideal size for you; most of these are available in almost every other size a stock ZJ might want. I'm also assuming that you're going to be putting less than average mileage per year on them since 35k in 6 yrs is below average use)

• Yokohama Geolander HT G056
  • General Grabber HTS
  • Firestone Destination LE2
  • Kumho Road Venture APT KL51 (My current 3-season tires--I have zero complaints but have never used them in winter)
  • Hankook Optimo H727

If you have 16" tires, I'd like to add:

• Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season
  • Continental CrossContact LX20
  • Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza Plus

Don't pay for treadlife you'll never use if you're not putting a ton of miles on tires per year. Like I said, they might easily "age to death" before you ever hit 50k+ miles. That is why (overpriced regardless in my opinion) products like Michelin/BFG aren't on this list.
thanks I think I'm going with the LTX m/s2 235/75 r15...

are there any better rated tires from a different brand that I should look at?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.