Beadlocks, Q's for those who know these things - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Beadlocks, Q's for those who know these things

Ruffstuff 10 year saleBDS 4-1/2" Suspension Lift Kit - Jeep Wrangler YJRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 01-31-2016, 04:20 PM   #1
Mousejockey
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Beadlocks, Q's for those who know these things

I have been told that airing down below 8 PSI is "Like night and day" and that a 'good' comparison is that going from 10 PSI down to 6-8 PSI is about the same improvement as going from 25 PSI to 10 PSI. True or False?

Does anyone have experience/opinions on Staun II beadlocks ? (coyoteents.com)
35-13.5/15 Toyo MT's on Daytona 15X10's 4" backspace

Mousejockey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2016, 05:31 PM   #2
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

First time I went below 5 lbs. it was eye opening.

I think if you search the reviews on Stauns are very mixed.
Unread 01-31-2016, 06:29 PM   #3
jason m
Nothing but the facts

Yes dropping below 5psi and even lower makes for great traction, I know I run around 2~3psi. But it also increases the stress on your drivetrain. Where before with a stiffer tire it can spin a little now with a mushy tire that conforms to a rock its up to the steering joints, axles, gears and so on up to move it or break parts.

So yes traction increases alot, but expect more breakage if your not built for it.

Jason.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2016, 12:23 AM   #4
christensent
2014 JK Wrangler 

For me it depends what terrain I'm on. In deep snow, yes it is a night and day difference between 10PSI and 5PSI, and then another night and day difference between 5PSI and 1PSI.

For anything other than snow, I'm not usually going below 12PSI just because of the loss of ground clearance. I also find it to be diminishing return compared to snow where extremely low pressures are essential. I can get further down the trail at 12PSI just because of the clearance gain over 5PSI. Also I'd probably grenade my D44's wheeling in Moab at 2PSI.

Also realize it's very dependent on tires. A bias tire at 1PSI is going to look like a radial at 15PSI. Toyo MT's have really heavy side-walls so you'll want relatively low tire pressures compared to people on lighter sidewalls.
christensent is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2016, 08:44 PM   #5
Mousejockey
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Im looking at the wheels and all I can think of is how many of those bolt heads Im going to sheer off on the rocks
Unread 02-02-2016, 10:03 PM   #6
jason m
Nothing but the facts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousejockey View Post
Im looking at the wheels and all I can think of is how many of those bolt heads Im going to sheer off on the rocks
I'm going on seven ( hard ) years on bead locks and not one of the grade 5 bolts broken off. Lots of rock rash on them, I carry spares but never had a reason to put them on.

Lost a few inner beads, mostly on the rear steer trying to point the tires with most of the weight on the rear, but honestly no busted bolts.

Jason.

Unread 02-02-2016, 10:45 PM   #7
UTAH

Quote:
Originally Posted by christensent View Post
For anything other than snow, I'm not usually going below 12PSI just because of the loss of ground clearance. I also find it to be diminishing return compared to snow where extremely low pressures are essential. I can get further down the trail at 12PSI just because of the clearance gain over 5PSI. Also I'd probably grenade my D44's wheeling in Moab at 2PSI.
I'll emphasize ground clearance as well. If there's a trade off to be made between traction and ground clearance - I'll choose clearance. Beating the underside of my vehicles has not gone well in the past.

Bill
'14 KL Cherokee Trailhawk
UTAH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2016, 08:29 AM   #8
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Experience similar to Jason. Never sheared a bolt head in the rocks. Yes, my rings are torn up and I have snapped a couple bolts with my socket wrench (install or breakdown is a little tedious), but never had a problem off road.

As far as clearance is concerned, I'm a big fan but until you see what real traction is you don't understand. Address the clearance other ways (e.g. tummy tucks, armor) and be thoughtful about where you are putting your tires.
Unread 02-03-2016, 12:29 PM   #9
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Hold a basketball full of air and see if you can palm it, how long and how many slips. Drop the pressure a few pounds and see instant results. Then take it down to minimal and it's night and day!
Same goes for holding a bar by fingertips, add rest of hand and no more problems. Good luck
Unread 02-04-2016, 09:26 PM   #10
Mousejockey
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Looking at the steel ones from Allied, rt51 or rt81
I like the look of the 81's better, but cant figure out why the price diff.....
Unread 02-04-2016, 09:42 PM   #11
Steve707

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I don't mean to thread jack, but for those experienced with beadlocks, do you have any experience with DIY beadlocks? I'm thinking once I have on board air I might move to beadlocks.
Steve707 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2016, 06:10 PM   #12
jason m
Nothing but the facts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve707 View Post
I don't mean to thread jack, but for those experienced with beadlocks, do you have any experience with DIY beadlocks? I'm thinking once I have on board air I might move to beadlocks.
Mine are great lakes rings, work fine IMO.

Jason.

Unread 02-05-2016, 09:09 PM   #13
TSEJEEPERS
Web Wheeler

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I have been running these for a number of years.
http://totalmetalinnovations.com/in...e01goh77ij4uo5
Personally I believe the two biggest upgrades you can do to your Jeep are Lockers and Beadlocks.
Night and day difference. I never really noticed a difference in ground clearance. I run 6 psi no matter what a terrain.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.