BDS 3" Lift - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > BDS 3" Lift

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 11-29-2007, 07:02 AM   #1
davecam
2005 TJ Wrangler 

BDS 3" Lift

I have a 2005 Rubicon. I am looking to buy 33" tires. 285/75/16 BFG. I was torn between a RE 3-3.5" lift kit and the BDS 3". I don't to do much offroading yet. I am just looking for something to allow me to run 33" tires and also give me some better flex...etc. It is a daily driver so I don't want to sink money into something that I don't necessarily need.

I hear from some people that the BDS kit would be good for my purpose. Also the warranty is great.

Any comments on this kit? I don't want to do any BB/BL to support the larger tires. I'd rather do the suspension lift.

I am joining a local jeep club next year and I am trying to build up myjeep a little to handle some moderate trails. I need tires ASAP but I didn't want to spend the money in stock sizes if i planned on doing some mods.

Overall, I don't wan't to go too big since it is a DD.

Thanks

davecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2007, 09:47 AM   #2
SecondTJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

A 3" BDS should suite your needs fine then. It will clear 33's.

If you think there isn't enough room, you can always add a 1" BL after the fact.

'99 Z28 M6, some goodies
'94 'Vette, A4 all stock
SecondTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2007, 06:13 PM   #3
fxanimator1
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I have the BDS 3" springs with 33's and JKS control arms, it rides great. Oh, and OME shocks.

fxanimator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2007, 07:13 PM   #4
davecam
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Sweet! Looks awesome. What do you think of those rock sliders? That's going to be next. More so for people when they open their damn doors next to me. I had a mark on my door, which I was able to buff out no problem, I figured they'd serve multi purposes for me. Let them slam their doors into a steel bar!! lol
Unread 12-01-2007, 08:23 AM   #5
fxanimator1
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by davecam
Let them slam their doors into a steel bar!! lol
You said a mouthful, and I love them! Thanks for the compliment too.
Unread 12-02-2007, 10:18 AM   #6
bigj1974
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I have nothing but praise for the ride on my BDS 2 inch kit.

awesome.

and the Shrockworks sliders are stout. they make 'em to order and takes about a month to get to you.
bigj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2007, 02:00 PM   #7
TJeep06
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Wow, I just tried posting a long comment and it didn't work and lost it.. so here is a shorter version.

BDS had the "No Fine Print" warranty. However, if you ever offroad and something goes wrong, the warranty probably won't be any better than any other companies.

I spent months trying to decide on my own Lift and Tire combo. I originally pushed for BDS or Black Diamond 3", but I was refered to a local Metal Shop owner who turned out to be the VP of our Eastern Shore Jeep Association, and previous driver of Backdraft (Monster Truck). He suggested that I look into Rusty's 3" Basic Kit instead.

With BDS, by the time you factor in the "Recommended" items:
Steering Stabilizer [Single]- $46.11
Lower Control Arms - $175.91
[Excluding shipping/tax] Your looking at around $935

Rusty's 3" Advanced Kit = $1000
Steering Stabilizer [Single] - $30 <- Recommended
Steering Stabilizer [Double] - $100
1" Body/1" Raised Motor Mount - $100

BDS didn't seem to have enough bang for the buck to me.

I currenty have on order:
- Rusty's 3" Advanced
- Double Steering Stabilizers
- 1" Body/1" Moter Mount
- (6) Shock Boots
Total = $1224 +/-

DesertRat.com offers premounted/balanced tires and wheels pretty cheap.
I have, waiting to be put on:
(5) Cooper Discovery STT 33x12.50
(5) US Steel Black Desert Crawler Beadlocks 15x8
Total = $1600 Shipped

Up to you man what you decide on, I'll post some pics of my 06 Silver TJ once I get everything installed and let you know how it all runs. Oh, and this is also my DD; but I cant deny what Jeeps do best - Offroad.
Goodluck to ya.
__________________________________________________ ______________

BDS 3" 4WD Jeep Wrangler TJ Ftom the BDS Web Site

Base Price $711.84

Base Kit Components
Qty Part# Description
(1) 014301 03-05 Jeep TJ 3" Box Kit
(1) 034302 97-06 Jeep TJ 3" Front Coils
(1) 034308 97-06 Jeep TJ 3" Rear Coils
(2) 55965 Front Hydraulic Shock Absorber
(2) 55980 Rear Hydraulic Shock Absorber
__________________________________________________ ______________

RUSTY'S TJ Wrangler 3" Basic Kit From RUSTY'S Web Site

Code: RK-300B-TJ | Price: $459.00

• Front and Rear 3" Coils
• Drop Pitman Arm
• Transfer Case Drop Kit
• Extended Rear Sway Bar Links
• Rear Trac Bar Bracket
• 4 - Rusty's Hydraulic Shocks
Choose our Plus Upgrade to add 1" Raised Motor Mounts and a 1" Body Lift kit for only $100!
__________________________________________________ _____________

Rusty's TJ Wrangler 3" Advanced Kit

Code: RK-300A-TJ | Price: $1,000.00 | Quantity in Basket: None

Choose our Plus Upgrade to add 1" Raised Motor Mounts and a 1" Body Lift kit for only $100!

Get the most out of 3" of lift with Rusty 3" Advanced kit for the TJ. Using our heavy duty fixed lower and adjustable upper control arms along with the adjustable trac-bar will give you much better flex. We built this kit to put on our gun metal gray 97TJ. The kit clears 33" tires, rides and flexes great and it tough as a tank!

Kit includes:
• 1pr. ROR300 coils
• 1pr. ROR303 coils
• TB-100 Adjustable Trac Bar
• Rear Trac Bar Bracket
• 1pr LCA-1 Front Lower Control Arms
• 1pr LCA-1 Rear Lower Control Arms
• 1pr UCA-1 Front Upper Control Arms
• 1pr AUA-R Rear Upper Control Arms
• Transfer Case Drop Kit
• JKS Quicker Disconnects
• SS Brake Lines
• Drop Pitman Arm
TJeep06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2007, 02:06 PM   #8
fxanimator1
2006 TJ Wrangler 

The only part I used was their 3" springs, I don't know about all that stuff posted above, I put together a totally custom kit with what I thought to be good components. The BDS spring rate and OME shock valving work well for me.
Unread 12-03-2007, 10:15 AM   #9
azcoyote

If you really don't want to spend the money yet, you can do like I did and go this route...

$225 - 2.25" Spacer Lift (Skyjacker Hydros) - 4 Wheel Customs
$100 - 1.25" JKS BL - (get a MML if you want)
$35 - RE Steering Stabilizer
$0.38 (38 cents) - 4 washers for the steering stops
-------------------------------------------------
$360.38 TOTAL

That is enough to clear 285/75R16 and wheel with no issue....
You can get a used set of discos if you want them... MML for another $100 or make a transfer case drop if you get vibes... Then down the road you pull the trigger on a full suspension kit...

Setup works great for mild to moderate stuff... (see pic)

Just another option for you...
climb.gif  

Last edited by azcoyote; 12-03-2007 at 10:30 AM..
azcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2007, 08:03 AM   #10
hazmat
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Dave , give me a pm if you need help installing the lift!
http://s33.photobucket.com/albums/d5...nt=Hazmat2.jpg http://s33.photobucket.com/albums/d5...nt=Hazmat1.jpg06 x, 4.0 6spd d30 and 44 4.10's tru tracs fr and rear. bds 3in lift ,skyjacker st stab. jks bl and bmml, jks discos, 33x10.5r15 bfg mt's on black d's, src r bumper/swingout,
hazmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2007, 05:25 AM   #11
binski
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxanimator1
I have the BDS 3" springs with 33's and JKS control arms, it rides great. Oh, and OME shocks.

fxanimator1 - Did you use the OME 67L, 66L (extended) shocks with the BDS springs? I like the looks of your rig very much! Excellent job.

I'm looking at a similar setup on an '06 6-spd and was wondering if you encountered any issues with that lift set up?

Binski
binski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2007, 07:00 AM   #12
fxanimator1
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by binski
fxanimator1 - Did you use the OME 67L, 66L (extended) shocks with the BDS springs? I like the looks of your rig very much! Excellent job.

I'm looking at a similar setup on an '06 6-spd and was wondering if you encountered any issues with that lift set up?

Binski
I did use the 67L, 66L shocks, and I really like the ride that the spring/shock combo gives me. I've experienced no problems. I ordered everything from DC4x4, He's very helpful for setting up your suspension, hope that helps.
Unread 12-14-2007, 10:24 AM   #13
davecam
2005 TJ Wrangler 

lift installed

So I went with the BDS 3" kit with BDS 9500 gas shocks. 33" BFGs. Check out my profile pics.
Unread 12-14-2007, 10:51 AM   #14
19OlllllllO41
Jeep Addict

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJeep06
BDS had the "No Fine Print" warranty. However, if you ever offroad and something goes wrong, the warranty probably won't be any better than any other companies.
From my personal experience I have to say that I think you are very wrong in this statement. My good friend had a set of BDS springs (leaves on a YJ) that were bent as a result of a bad front end collision. He bought the Jeep back from his insurance company (it was totaled), and removed his after market parts from it for a new YJ he bought. All he did was take the springs to the local 4x4 shop(BDS dealer) and they sent em back to BDS and in no time he had a brand new set of springs. They asked no questions and made good on their "no fine print warranty". So if he can get a new set of springs from BDS as a result of a collision on road, they will absolutely give you new springs as a result of something going wrong from offroading (as thats what their springs are made for). How many other companies will do that? Not many.

For the OP, I had a BDS kit on my old YJ and thought it great. It rode great and I never had a problem with springs sagging, blown shocks or anything else. I highly recomend BDS.
'83 CJ7
'92 YJ
'00 XJ
'99 TJ
'05 TJ Rubicon (Impact Orange)
19OlllllllO41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2013, 06:27 PM   #15
sarkowski
1999 TJ Wrangler 

fxanimator1, Your rig looks amazing! I have a 99 and have been looking at almost the exact same setup. Do you have any other pictures? What backspacing are you running on those wheels? Seriously man, looks good!!!
sarkowski is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.