Backspacing Recommendation for Jeep - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Backspacing Recommendation for Jeep

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 03-20-2006, 02:27 PM   #1
snakehunter
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Backspacing Recommendation for Jeep

Getting ready to buy tires that will be for offroad use - Jeep is a DD but I'll put on some radials during the winter. I will still need to drive the Jeep to the trail and around town - it's my convertible.

2000 TJ w/ 4.5 RE lift
Buying steel wheels (15x8) and 33x12.50x15 GY MT/R's.
Stock D30 and D35

For trail use - mostly rocks and narrow trails between rocks and trees. Will less backspacing help with clearing rocks or other obstacles? Does it keep the body further away from the obstacle by having the tire out further? Or is it mostly for looks? How little can I get away with given my jeeps configuration.

I guess I looking for a recommendation between 4.5 and 3 5/16 and does it make a practical difference....

2000 Sahara RE 4.5, Alloy USA front Axles (D30) w/Aussie locker, Superior Super 35, 4.56 gears, OME Shocks, Centric Front Discs w/EBC Yellow pads, AtoZ Fab Rocker Guards,Goodyear MT/R 33x12.5x15 on 15x8 Rock Crawler 51's, other minor stuff... [B][COLOR=White]
/ | [____],
1---L-OlllllllO-
()_)()_)----)_) White Jeep Club Member #111[/COLOR][/B]
snakehunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2006, 02:28 PM   #2
MCanavan

You need at least 4.5" of BS to clear 12.5" wide tires. As far as I know the only positive to running more backspacing is a wider stance. The more you get the further out the tire sticks and more mud will end up on the side of your Jeep.
MCanavan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2006, 09:46 AM   #3
jedeason

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakehunter
Getting ready to buy tires that will be for offroad use - Jeep is a DD but I'll put on some radials during the winter. I will still need to drive the Jeep to the trail and around town - it's my convertible.

2000 TJ w/ 4.5 RE lift
Buying steel wheels (15x8) and 33x12.50x15 GY MT/R's.
Stock D30 and D35

For trail use - mostly rocks and narrow trails between rocks and trees. Will less backspacing help with clearing rocks or other obstacles? Does it keep the body further away from the obstacle by having the tire out further? Or is it mostly for looks? How little can I get away with given my jeeps configuration.

I guess I looking for a recommendation between 4.5 and 3 5/16 and does it make a practical difference....

It is actually the total opposite. The more the higher the backspacing say 4.5 the tires will tuck more into your flares. The less backspacing the more your tires will stick out.
jedeason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2006, 11:13 AM   #4
mctonyb

I'd go with a 4" backspacing. Doesn't stick out too far, less stress on the drivetrain, still have the "look", my $0.02.
Unread 03-26-2006, 11:30 AM   #5
M&C_TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mctonyb
I'd go with a 4" backspacing. Doesn't stick out too far, less stress on the drivetrain, still have the "look", my $0.02.
what about 3.75 back spacing i am putting 33x12.5 on 15x8 but i do want to keep the jeep narrow and safe with the amount of lift i am installing. like you said less stress is what i want for the 30/35 combo

Pro Comp series 97 Rims holding 35" BFG A/T
M&C_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2006, 11:51 AM   #6
mctonyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&C_TJ
what about 3.75 back spacing i am putting 33x12.5 on 15x8 but i do want to keep the jeep narrow and safe with the amount of lift i am installing. like you said less stress is what i want for the 30/35 combo
3.75" is going to stick out a bit more. It's not a huge difference at all and will work. It is however a bit more stress, but nothing to write home about.

I would be more concerned with the Dana 35 axle out back with those tires then the backspacing on the wheels.
Unread 03-26-2006, 12:16 PM   #7
M&C_TJ

4" will clear everything just fine? and keeps them tucked in a hair more? yeah i hope to swap the 35 someday before i get too serious off roading.

so let me get it straight the higher the number the less it sticks out right? then would that be called more backsapcing?

Unread 03-26-2006, 12:43 PM   #8
jedeason

Quote:
4" will clear everything just fine? and keeps them tucked in a hair more? yeah i hope to swap the 35 someday before i get too serious off roading.

so let me get it straight the higher the number the less it sticks out right? then would that be called more backsapcing?

Yes you are correct. The more backspacing the less the tires will stick out
Unread 03-26-2006, 12:48 PM   #9
M&C_TJ

thanks...so i need less to get my 33x12.5 now i can know what i am talking about

Unread 03-26-2006, 12:57 PM   #10
jedeason

[QUOTE=M&C_TJ]thanks...so i need less to get my 33x12.5 now i can know what i am talking about [/QUOTE

Check this out for steel wheels.
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...tegoryId=24471

You can get in 4.0 or 4.75. I am going to go with the 4.75s to fit 33x12.50x15 and will use a 1/4 inch spacer to make them fit. I am trying to keep my tires from sticking out as much as possible. You can get the same thing from Summit. Both Have free shipping. You may want to look at the ship weight since UPS has a limit of 150lbs. You may have to make seperate orders to keep from paying a surcharge.
Unread 03-26-2006, 03:15 PM   #11
M&C_TJ

yelp those are the wheels i am going with but i am getting a killer deal with <www.4wheelparts.com> with RK97 and BFG but i wasnt sure on the backspacing. so with 33x12.5 on 15x8 will 4" work just fine or should i go with 3.75" to make sure?

Unread 03-26-2006, 04:08 PM   #12
jedeason

Quote:
yelp those are the wheels i am going with but i am getting a killer deal with <www.4wheelparts.com> with RK97 and BFG but i wasnt sure on the backspacing. so with 33x12.5 on 15x8 will 4" work just fine or should i go with 3.75" to make sure?

Those will work just fine. It is recommended to have 4.5 or less of backspacing. They may stick out a little bit but you just have to get used to it or get wider flares.
Unread 03-26-2006, 04:51 PM   #13
BigPeters

go with 3.75"
[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Gun Metal Blue Jeep Member #25[/COLOR]
BigPeters is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2006, 04:51 PM   #14
M&C_TJ

it wont bother me to have mud fling up my side i like the look i just want to keep my jeep as narrow as possible for trail. hell that is one thing i like about jeeps its and oversized 4wheeler right. so i would like to clear the tires just enough and keep them tucked in as much as possible too. any thoughts.

Unread 04-03-2006, 03:26 AM   #15
Live4Him

Sorry to high jack! I am running 32x11.50 Wild cat RVTS on 15x8" rims my 2004 TJ x has a 2 1/2" Lift

Are these wheels the right setup for me. Soft 8 397 Series Wheel

Finish: Black
Size: 15'' x 8''
Bolt Circle: 5 x 4-1/2''
Rear Spacing: 4-3/4''

I too am trying to tuck my wheels in.

The darn rims I have now are 3.25 BS and they are slinging me with all kinds of nasty! Thanks for your help guys!!
Live4Him is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.