backspacing - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > backspacing

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits

Unread 04-14-2013, 06:18 PM   #1
ridgecounty

backspacing

hey im new to buying tires ans wheel but i just put a rough country 4in suspension lift on my jeep wangler 97 it recommends a backspacing of 4.5 but the wheels im getting have a backspacing of 5.9 will that fit? or am i going to have to get wheel spacer if so how big?

ridgecounty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2013, 09:56 PM   #2
KyleSekora
1997 ZJ 

hey, i was having the same problem about an hour ago. I think i finally figured it out though, after about an hour of research lol. That isn't enough backspacing. You would need 1.5 in wheel spacers in order to be able to run those tires with that wheel. Are you buying those wheels now? If so, I would recommend just buying a wheel you like with 4.5 inches of backspacing already. Hope this helps.
_.(o)_)__(o)_)---)_)
KyleSekora is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2013, 10:08 PM   #3
KyleSekora
1997 ZJ 

Backspacing is the amount of space between the mounting surface (spot on the rim where the wheel studs go through) to the edge of the rim. So the higher the backspacing number the further in the wheel well the wheel will sit, and the lower the backspacing number the further the wheel will stick out from the jeep. So what I did to figure out what size spacer you need is I took your current back spacing (6) and subtracted the recommended backspacing amount (4.5) and I got that you needed a 1.5 in spacer.
Anyone please feel free to correct me if I am wrong, because like I said I just self taught myself this earlier tonight.
backspacing.jpg  
_.(o)_)__(o)_)---)_)
KyleSekora is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2013, 01:05 PM   #4
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

If you are wanting to use wheels you already have, spacers can be a good option. If you are buying wheels, get them with the proper backspacing for your application.
Unread 04-15-2013, 05:27 PM   #5
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Spacers are illegal in many states. For my part, I could care less, I'd use em if I felt like it, but just so you know. Also, my tire shop can't balance them.
Unread 04-16-2013, 05:31 AM   #6
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
... my tire shop can't balance them.
Your tire shop won't balance them. That's a big difference from can't balance them. They have made a business decision to reduce a percieved liability issue. Balancing wheels with spacers is no different from balancing wheels with no spacers.
Unread 04-16-2013, 05:45 AM   #7
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm View Post
Your tire shop won't balance them. That's a big difference from can't balance them. They have made a business decision to reduce a percieved liability issue. Balancing wheels with spacers is no different from balancing wheels with no spacers.
Really. My tire shop has a spin balancer that has a collar that holds the wheel on to the spinning shaft. Where would the spacer go and how would it be indexed to the wheel?
Unread 04-16-2013, 08:26 AM   #8
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Really. My tire shop has a spin balancer that has a collar that holds the wheel on to the spinning shaft. Where would the spacer go and how would it be indexed to the wheel?
For our rigs you should only be using the type of spacer that bolts to the hub and has a set of studs in the spacer that the wheel mounts to. The spacer would be mounted on the hub where it belongs when the wheel is balanced. The spacer would have no impact on the balance.
Unread 04-16-2013, 12:16 PM   #9
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
For our rigs you should only be using the type of spacer that bolts to the hub and has a set of studs in the spacer that the wheel mounts to. The spacer would be mounted on the hub where it belongs when the wheel is balanced. The spacer would have no impact on the balance.
The spacer is not being balanced if its mounted to the hub and that's why people with spacers get vibration. Personally, I would not use spacers because if I want back space I would buy the correct wheel. But all you have to do is Google the words "Wheel spacers" and "vibration" and you get 103,000 web pages. I am pretty sure all of those people did not put up text to say how "vibration free" spacers are.
Unread 04-16-2013, 12:22 PM   #10
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Your brake drum/rotor isn't balanced with the wheel either but we seem to get by with that OK. I run spacers on the rear and have no vibration. I ran spacers on the front for quite a while and had no vibration.
Unread 04-16-2013, 01:33 PM   #11
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Your brake drum/rotor isn't balanced with the wheel either but we seem to get by with that OK. I run spacers on the rear and have no vibration. I ran spacers on the front for quite a while and had no vibration.
I'm sure you did. Trouble is, hundreds of thousands of other people aren't so lucky with spacers. That's why there are endless complaints on every car web site from BMW's to Willys about spacers causing vibration. And, it may have something to do with why they are illegal in a lot of places, including my home state of Ohio which has almost no rules about any kind of janky equipment one might want put on his rig. Let's agree: spacers are a poor substitute for the right wheel.

Also, when you say your brake rotor is not balanced, I think you mean by you or the tire shop. The rotor comes from the factory balanced and when they get a lot of wear or abuse, or they are Chinese, they get out of balance by warping and you have to replace them. But, to say they aren't balanced is not really correct. Could a spacer be balanced like a rotor? Perhaps, but they obviously are not or there would not be so many complaints.
Unread 04-16-2013, 01:41 PM   #12
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
...Also, when you say your brake rotor is not balanced, I think you mean by you or the tire shop. The rotor comes from the factory balanced and when they get a lot of wear or abuse, or they are Chinese, they get out of balance by warping and you have to replace them. But, to say they aren't balanced is not really correct.
You are correct, I misspoke here.
Unread 04-21-2013, 10:36 AM   #13
ArmyFO13F
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I used spacers until a few days ago when I had my wheels with proper backspacing put on. I would done it myself but I broke my leg snowboarding and am lucky to be able to drive the five speed.... Anyway there is a night and day difference. The spacers would vibrate at 60-65. Yes the wheels were balanced. Now I can go 60-65 with the correct wheels an run az smooth as a 99 TJ!
ArmyFO13F is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.