Anyone using Firestone Tires?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Anyone using Firestone Tires??

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-23-2013, 10:24 AM   #1
Renegad87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Anyone using Firestone Tires??

Okay it's time to put new tires on my 87 Wrangler. I went to firestone on a whim and got 2 tires quoted. The price for either is manageable, but reading the reviews has been confusing.

My Jeep is used as a toy for summer cruising, snow driving, and some mild offroad use. I drive it to work (30 min no highway) on occasion. I live in PA so I get a descent amount snow and ice to deal with. Anyone have either of these two tires and can comment on them?

Firestone Destination A/T (Installed $608)

Firestone Destination M/T (Installed $780)

I like the look of the M/T but people say its horrible in the snow. Let me know what you guys think.

Renegad87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 10:51 AM   #2
Jeepsr4me

The goodyear wrangler from walmart is a pretty good tire and cheaper plus life time balance and rotate.
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 10:56 AM   #3
Renegad87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Looks like those Goodyears from Walmart with everything added in will cost me about $900.
Unread 06-23-2013, 12:16 PM   #4
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

This is obviously a tech question.

Why was it deleted?
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 03:55 AM   #5
Renegad87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I think they just moved it from the Tech section to the Tires and Wheels section. No big deal I just put it in the Tech section because there is more traffic there.
Unread 06-24-2013, 04:16 AM   #6
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Firestone Destination AT and MT are both great. The ATs are especially great; the MT is not appropriate for your type of driving.
Unread 06-25-2013, 05:52 PM   #7
Renegad87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Thank you that is exactly what I wanted to know.
Unread 06-27-2013, 02:50 PM   #8
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Although the Firestones (AT & MT) have good ratings over all, they have poor ice traction ratings, and would probably also be slick on ice.

The only MT that has really good Winter traction is Trxus MT. It's great off road and OK on road, but doesn't last as long as most others. It typically lasts around 30K to 40K miles. That info comes from a friend of mine who runs them on his TJ, and another friend who runs them on his Suburban. I've also read numerous reviews online that confirm that. The Trxus MT might be good for you, if you really want a hardcore mud tire.

You should also look at Duratrac. It's not an MT. I consider it to be between AT & MT. It has AT type center treads and MT type outer treads, and I think it offers what you are looking for and the outer treads give it an agressive MT look.

Three other great options would be all terrain tires: Hankook ATM, Toyo AT2, and Cooper AT3. They don't have the MT look you like, but they are superior performers on highway, great on Winter roads, and are good off road. The Hankook ATM does look somewhat aggressive due to small side lugs.

Have a look at this thread about all terrain (AT) tires:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f15/n...e-one-1527835/

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.