Anyone running spidertrax 1.25in wheel spacers. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Anyone running spidertrax 1.25in wheel spacers.

Artec Flash Sale - 15% off and Free Shipping over $300Rugged Ridge Bumpers, Winches, Performance from CCOR!JK Front Axle Truss

Unread 11-28-2013, 01:29 PM   #1
Jimmyfnly
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Anyone running spidertrax 1.25in wheel spacers.

I am thinking about getting them for my LJ. My front tires are rubbing the swaybar at full flex. Would you guys recommend them?

Jimmyfnly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2013, 01:58 PM   #2
F9K9
Semper Fi!

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I've had them for five years running 35s on my stock Rubicon Moab rims. I've run various spacers on different rigs since, the late 60s. Don't hesitate a second with those spacers. Oh, you'll probably get a boatload of differing opinions and the Apocalypse is almost upon us but, use common sense, stay on top of your maintenance and wheel on.

'03 Rubicon w/a few changes.
F9K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2013, 02:14 PM   #3
KaiserJeep
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Mine have been on the Jeep since 2004. I used two pairs of spacers under the stock Rubicon rims. I have wheeled all over Moab, the Ouray area, the Dusy-Ershim, etc. with no issues. I DID take extra care, torqued them down in three stages with extra Red Loctite on the stock wheel studs (buy a tube, the amount they supply with the spacers is insufficient). Then I applied anti-sieze compound (the silver goo) to the studs on the spacer, and torqued the wheel lugs down as well.

Whenever I bought tires or the garage rotated them, I took the trouble to add another dab of anti-sieze to the spacer studs and torqued them by hand again. I think this is important (whether you run spacers or not) so the garage monkeys don't strip the studs with the air ratchets.

The only consideration is that when wheeling you should carry a propane torch with you in case you have to do emergency service to brakes or unit bearings or whatever on the trail. The torch causes the Red Loctite to let loose after you play the flame over the nut/stud. I always carried the torch anyway, in case I had to remove hardware the factory had installed.

In addition to the clearance the spacers give you, the wider track helps handling. My Rubicon is 5" wider than stock, half of that is a pair of spacers, half is wider tire treads. So it is 5" wider and 5" higher (considering lift plus tire height) which is a good thing. It still turns just as tight as a stock TJ, thanks to not having washers under the steering stops.
2003 Wrangler Rubicon TJ
KaiserJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2013, 02:16 PM   #4
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyfnly View Post
I am thinking about getting them for my LJ. My front tires are rubbing the swaybar at full flex. Would you guys recommend them?
Rather than increase your wheelbase width 2.5" by installing spacers that are not inexpensive, I'd rather figure out why the tires are rubbing. Are both tires rubbing equally on the antiswaybar when you turn the wheel all the way left/right?

What backspacing do your wheels have and what is your tire size?

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2013, 02:58 PM   #5
Jimmyfnly
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Rather than increase your wheelbase width 2.5" by installing spacers that are not inexpensive, I'd rather figure out why the tires are rubbing. Are both tires rubbing equally on the antiswaybar when you turn the wheel all the way left/right?

What backspacing do your wheels have and what is your tire size?
Both front tires are rubbing on the sway bar when disconnected and the lower control arms at full flex.
My tires are 35x12.5/15.
The back spacing on my rims is
3-5/8.
Unread 11-28-2013, 03:00 PM   #6
Jimmyfnly
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiserJeep View Post
Mine have been on the Jeep since 2004. I used two pairs of spacers under the stock Rubicon rims. I have wheeled all over Moab, the Ouray area, the Dusy-Ershim, etc. with no issues. I DID take extra care, torqued them down in three stages with extra Red Loctite on the stock wheel studs (buy a tube, the amount they supply with the spacers is insufficient). Then I applied anti-sieze compound (the silver goo) to the studs on the spacer, and torqued the wheel lugs down as well.

Whenever I bought tires or the garage rotated them, I took the trouble to add another dab of anti-sieze to the spacer studs and torqued them by hand again. I think this is important (whether you run spacers or not) so the garage monkeys don't strip the studs with the air ratchets.

The only consideration is that when wheeling you should carry a propane torch with you in case you have to do emergency service to brakes or unit bearings or whatever on the trail. The torch causes the Red Loctite to let loose after you play the flame over the nut/stud. I always carried the torch anyway, in case I had to remove hardware the factory had installed.

In addition to the clearance the spacers give you, the wider track helps handling. My Rubicon is 5" wider than stock, half of that is a pair of spacers, half is wider tire treads. So it is 5" wider and 5" higher (considering lift plus tire height) which is a good thing. It still turns just as tight as a stock TJ, thanks to not having washers under the steering stops.
How hard is it to remove the wheel spacers. I don't have a torch.
Unread 11-28-2013, 09:03 PM   #7
2k2wranglerx
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyfnly View Post
How hard is it to remove the wheel spacers. I don't have a torch.
Even with red loctite my impact takes the nuts off.
Unread 11-30-2013, 11:08 AM   #8
KaiserJeep
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Like he said an impact wrench will take off nuts held by Red Loctite which is medium-strength. But I leave the air compressor and impact wrench at home. But if you have to bust them free by hand you will want the torch. Propane torches are sold for soldering copper plumbing and they are seldom more than $20 new.

In a pinch you can use the same propane cylinder as your Coleman propane stove, although the tall 14oz. cylinders are handier.

2003 Wrangler Rubicon TJ
KaiserJeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.