Anyone regretted painting aluminum wheels? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 01-13-2016, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
dustinw92

Anyone regretted painting aluminum wheels?

Was looking for guidance. I want to paint my stock wj wheels black. I was wondering if anyone has regretted it. Do you have to repaint them every year? Are there any tips, kinds of paint I should use. I've heard that using clear coat will help make them shine. But I've also heard it will make them look like crap when they get scratches. Any help is appreciated, just wanting to make sure I do the best job possible for the longest lasting results

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-14-2016, 08:33 PM
UTAH

I painted the inner part of the 18" wheels on my Sahara. Like with any painting, the way to do it right is in the prep. Scuff the wheels thoroughly and prime them just as well. And, use a quality paint. I used Dupli-color and was pleased with the results.

Now, having said the above, painting wheels is not an epoxy or powder-coating process. The paint on wheels is thin and scratches easily. But, a quick (and cheap) spray later - they look new again.

If a clear coat is used, I think it'll be mainly for looks. It's just not going to add enough thickness or strength to stop the inevitable scratches.

Bill

'97 Land Rover D90
'03 TJ Rubicon
'14 JK-8 Freedom Edition
'14 KL Cherokee Trailhawk
post #3 of 8 Old 01-17-2016, 07:46 AM
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

The factory clear coat on my wrangler canyons had bubbled and flaked in places and looked really bad, so I did mine with a satin black.

I actually did mine twice.

The first time, I tried prepping the wheels with the tires still mounted, by sanding, scraping, etc. then just spray painted. Didn't spend a lot of time, did it in one day, two at a time, two cans of spray, about $10 total cost. Looked ok at a distance, but up close uneven due to rough clear coat underneath. But paint held up.

A couple years later when it was time for new tires, I removed all four tires/wheels, had the tire shop dismount the tires, then spent some time stripping each wheel down to bare metal using paint/varnish stripper from lowes, etc, along with a bunch of elbow grease. Then used the same satin black spray. Total cost about $30. Took the finished wheels back to tire store to get tires mounted. (I also have a pick up truck which helped, and TJ was on jack stands the whole time, about a week total.)

Looks much better, would do it again. Can post some pics if interested. Go to wrangler TJ forum and search painting wheels, many have done it.

jhanna
denton county, tx

post #4 of 8 Old 01-17-2016, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
dustinw92

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jhanna View Post
The factory clear coat on my wrangler canyons had bubbled and flaked in places and looked really bad, so I did mine with a satin black.

I actually did mine twice.

The first time, I tried prepping the wheels with the tires still mounted, by sanding, scraping, etc. then just spray painted. Didn't spend a lot of time, did it in one day, two at a time, two cans of spray, about $10 total cost. Looked ok at a distance, but up close uneven due to rough clear coat underneath. But paint held up.

A couple years later when it was time for new tires, I removed all four tires/wheels, had the tire shop dismount the tires, then spent some time stripping each wheel down to bare metal using paint/varnish stripper from lowes, etc, along with a bunch of elbow grease. Then used the same satin black spray. Total cost about $30. Took the finished wheels back to tire store to get tires mounted. (I also have a pick up truck which helped, and TJ was on jack stands the whole time, about a week total.)

Looks much better, would do it again. Can post some pics if interested. Go to wrangler TJ forum and search painting wheels, many have done it.
That's interesting, I may have to wait till it gets warm again. I might still try to do it with tires mounted. But spend a little time on it

post #5 of 8 Old 01-17-2016, 08:19 AM
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinw92 View Post
That's interesting, I may have to wait till it gets warm again. I might still try to do it with tires mounted. But spend a little time on it

It's doable with the tires mounted. I was afraid to use the paint/varnish stripper with the tires mounted, didn't know if it would hurt the rubber.

jhanna
denton county, tx
post #6 of 8 Old 01-17-2016, 09:46 AM
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Another option, especially if you aren't sure you'll like it, is plasti dip.

If you don't know, plasti dip is a lite spray on rubberized coating that is removable. Many guys have done it.

Google plasti dip wheels.

jhanna
denton county, tx
post #7 of 8 Old 01-17-2016, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
dustinw92

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jhanna View Post
Another option, especially if you aren't sure you'll like it, is plasti dip.

If you don't know, plasti dip is a lite spray on rubberized coating that is removable. Many guys have done it.

Google plasti dip wheels.
Yeah i had though about that, my concern was how long it would last though. If it's only going to last a week before a rock peels part of it up , it wouldn't be worth my time

post #8 of 8 Old 01-17-2016, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
dustinw92

After a little research, I think I'm sold on the plasti dip. Pretty amazing stuff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.