anyone ever had a set of wheels warp just from road use? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > anyone ever had a set of wheels warp just from road use?

Halloween Savings to die for!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 06-01-2013, 01:09 PM   #1
26679cj5
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

anyone ever had a set of wheels warp just from road use?

Been trying to track down a vibration for a while which has turned into a bad shake in the steering wheel from 45-55. I replaced any front end components that had any noticeable wear, bit it was still there. I took it into a shop this morning to see if it was my tires or wheels, and I was alarmed when he told me that not just one, but all four wheels were bad. I have only had these things about 9 months. They are Black Rock Lobo's in a 15x7.

26679cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2013, 07:10 PM   #2
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Perhaps they were never straight. Did you actually see them wobble on the balancer?

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2013, 07:42 PM   #3
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

WTH can go wrong with steel rims ? All four ? What kind of shop did you take them to ?

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2013, 07:45 PM   #4
coony278
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds kinda strange that all 4 was bent, maybe you should get a secound opinion ?
coony278 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2013, 09:13 PM   #5
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Often we see bent steel wheels. These are on high mileage vehicles. A quick slid into a curb bends them easy. That why I asked if they showed them to you while still on the balancer. Its the easiest place to check if they are true.
Take them to another shop and have them show you how they are out of round.
You did not say anything about the age or condition of your tires. Tell us about them.

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2013, 11:52 PM   #6
26679cj5
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah he showed me one on the balancer and if was wobbling all over the place. It only ever felt like one in particular was bad but he said they all took way too much weight. He put multiple weights on them trying to do what he could.

The tires are brand new 33x10.50 bfg at's that I had put on about two weeks ago. I had this on my last tires which were 34x9.50 super swampers, but I had them on there for several months before I started getting any vibes. They were balanced with dynabeads with the swampers.

I'm going to take them to a different shop Monday which has a road force balancer instead of the regular type.
26679cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2013, 08:09 AM   #7
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26679cj5 View Post
I'm going to take them to a different shop Monday which has a road force balancer instead of the regular type.
A Road Force Balance machine will identify the exact source of any vibrations.

I would guess that you took the tires to a brand name retail tire store like NTB/Discount Tire/WalMart, instead of an independent tire service shop. I have found that retail tire stores are totally helpless and clueless when asked to deal with any over-sized tire, or any 4x4 vehicle that is not 100% stock.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2013, 08:37 AM   #8
Speedymcracer01

Both of my jeeps do this the 89 started at 50 mph i rebuilt the entire front end suspention everything but control arms,tires,and coil springs.got it together went down the road it started at 55mph.went put tires on it,and never had a another wobble until i sold it now my 98 just started the death/speed wobble.so here comes another suspention rebuild front and back this time though
Speedymcracer01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2013, 11:17 AM   #9
baldfatdad

Have you checked them yourself? Jack up a wheel, hold a screw driver close to the rim and turn the wheel. Repeat at each wheel. I got the bent wheel song at a place once and the guy had the wheel on the balancer crooked.
baldfatdad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2013, 05:12 PM   #10
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Moved to Tires & Wheels Forum.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2013, 03:40 PM   #11
Ken Cooke
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I bent a pair of American Racing aluminum wheels - due to hard off-road use. I replaced them with Black Rock D909s and the problem is no longer. Good luck with your wobbles.
Ken Cooke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2013, 04:32 PM   #12
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I had a shop tell me three out of four American Racing alloy wheels were bad within less than one year's use. There was offroad time involved though. I'm not convinced the shop was right but AR warranteed them sight unseen.
Unread 06-13-2013, 12:41 AM   #13
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Ive seen brand new rims,both steel and alloy,bent right out of the box and not talking about the cheap ones either.

Road force balancing is kinda a joke but those machines do have a handy feature to check for rim runout.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.