JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Tires & Wheels (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f15/)
-   -   anyone ever had a set of wheels warp just from road use? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f15/anyone-ever-had-set-wheels-warp-just-road-use-1530981/)

26679cj5 06-01-2013 01:09 PM

anyone ever had a set of wheels warp just from road use?

Been trying to track down a vibration for a while which has turned into a bad shake in the steering wheel from 45-55. I replaced any front end components that had any noticeable wear, bit it was still there. I took it into a shop this morning to see if it was my tires or wheels, and I was alarmed when he told me that not just one, but all four wheels were bad. I have only had these things about 9 months. They are Black Rock Lobo's in a 15x7.

rjbruzan 06-01-2013 07:10 PM

Perhaps they were never straight. Did you actually see them wobble on the balancer?

CJ7-Tim 06-01-2013 07:42 PM

WTH can go wrong with steel rims ? All four ? What kind of shop did you take them to ?

coony278 06-01-2013 07:45 PM

Sounds kinda strange that all 4 was bent, maybe you should get a secound opinion ?

rjbruzan 06-01-2013 09:13 PM

Often we see bent steel wheels. These are on high mileage vehicles. A quick slid into a curb bends them easy. That why I asked if they showed them to you while still on the balancer. Its the easiest place to check if they are true.
Take them to another shop and have them show you how they are out of round.
You did not say anything about the age or condition of your tires. Tell us about them.

26679cj5 06-01-2013 11:52 PM

Yeah he showed me one on the balancer and if was wobbling all over the place. It only ever felt like one in particular was bad but he said they all took way too much weight. He put multiple weights on them trying to do what he could.

The tires are brand new 33x10.50 bfg at's that I had put on about two weeks ago. I had this on my last tires which were 34x9.50 super swampers, but I had them on there for several months before I started getting any vibes. They were balanced with dynabeads with the swampers.

I'm going to take them to a different shop Monday which has a road force balancer instead of the regular type.

CJ7-Tim 06-02-2013 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 26679cj5 (Post 15508854)
I'm going to take them to a different shop Monday which has a road force balancer instead of the regular type.

A Road Force Balance machine will identify the exact source of any vibrations.

I would guess that you took the tires to a brand name retail tire store like NTB/Discount Tire/WalMart, instead of an independent tire service shop. I have found that retail tire stores are totally helpless and clueless when asked to deal with any over-sized tire, or any 4x4 vehicle that is not 100% stock.

Speedymcracer01 06-02-2013 08:37 AM

Both of my jeeps do this the 89 started at 50 mph i rebuilt the entire front end suspention everything but control arms,tires,and coil springs.got it together went down the road it started at 55mph.went put tires on it,and never had a another wobble until i sold it now my 98 just started the death/speed wobble.so here comes another suspention rebuild front and back this time though

baldfatdad 06-02-2013 11:17 AM

Have you checked them yourself? Jack up a wheel, hold a screw driver close to the rim and turn the wheel. Repeat at each wheel. I got the bent wheel song at a place once and the guy had the wheel on the balancer crooked.

Wheelin98TJ 06-05-2013 05:12 PM

Moved to Tires & Wheels Forum.

Ken Cooke 06-12-2013 03:40 PM

I bent a pair of American Racing aluminum wheels - due to hard off-road use. I replaced them with Black Rock D909s and the problem is no longer. Good luck with your wobbles.

biffgnar 06-12-2013 04:32 PM

I had a shop tell me three out of four American Racing alloy wheels were bad within less than one year's use. There was offroad time involved though. I'm not convinced the shop was right but AR warranteed them sight unseen.

tjkj2002 06-13-2013 12:41 AM

Ive seen brand new rims,both steel and alloy,bent right out of the box and not talking about the cheap ones either.

Road force balancing is kinda a joke but those machines do have a handy feature to check for rim runout.

The time now is 02:38 PM.