Any mud terrains good in rain and roll smoothly? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Any mud terrains good in rain and roll smoothly?

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Cure for your Tie Rod Roll!

Unread 03-28-2015, 07:35 PM   #1
GringoLoco
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Any mud terrains good in rain and roll smoothly?

Later on I'm planning on moving up from 33s to 35s. Currently I'm running TrXus MTs and while I really do like them, I rarely need them anymore. Usually when I wheel it's just light camping recon crawling over logs, I don't even like mud. So I'm thinking why sacrifice on road performance and waste a good mud tire. I'm on the fence with a milder MT or just going to an AT, but don't want to find that the ATs are worthless off road. Really the only on road MT characteristics that I care about are wet road grip (Seattle area daily driver) and riding smoothly, as in staying in balance. So far after 2 years my TrXus are much better than my BFG MTs were, but they're starting to show their age. When my TrXus were new they gripped like crazy and were nice and smooth, after a year or so they lost a lot of wet weather grip and became more harsh (as in occasional annoying shimmy). I don't care at all about noise (actually like tire hum), gas mileage, or anything else but wet grip and smoothness. I had my hopes up a bit with the MT/R but now I'm reading it seems at least half the people couldn't get them to balance or stay balanced. Any ideas?

YELLOW Jeep Club Member #5606
13 mpg - edit: 12 mpg
No hi-lift on the hood (yet)
Odd noises
Still can't get it to take off from a treadmill....
GringoLoco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2015, 07:57 PM   #2
billiebob
2005 TJ Wrangler 

no.... no MT is great in rain... there are far better choices for rain. Not so sure in a 35 tho. Generally a light vehicle in rain needs a skinny tire which will take longer to hydroplane with a tread designed to evacuate water.

35s are built to float. the antithesis to hydroplane.
An MT is designed to hold/grip the mud. that is the antithesis of evacuating water.

Anyone telling you otherwise is making compromises.
I had the Goodyear Triple Tread on my 5.9 Grand. It is a fabulous rain tire.

http://www.goodyear.ca/en-CA/tires/a...ce-triple-tred
Unread 03-28-2015, 08:03 PM   #3
YJ_89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I have 35" MTRs and think they ride great. I've never experienced any issues in the rain and used beads to balance and have not had any vibrations. The Duratrac would also be a really good choice if your looking for something a little less then an MT but still good off road.
Unread 03-28-2015, 10:45 PM   #4
christensent
2014 JK Wrangler 

MTR's are great for me, 35x12.5x17. I'm in the Seattle area also and don't care in the slightest if it's raining now. On stock Rubicon tires it was absolutely terrifying. I would hydroplane every five minutes and refused to even drive at night if it was raining because what if I drove over a puddle (once I drove for an hour at night in the rain and was thrown out of my lane 3 times). Don't even think about it anymore, never had a single non-trivial hydroplane on the MTR's. Even if I were buying stock size I would upgrade a Rubicon in Seattle to MTR's solely to avoid near certain death. Also awesome offroad, mud, snow, and ice! People say they are very good at everything while being exceptional at nothing in particular and I completely agree, which is exactly the tire I need.

Balance and roundness seems fine, I've heard they improved dramatically in the last few years. There are very few if any cases in the last few years I've seen of people having balance problems on these tires.
christensent is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2015, 07:24 AM   #5
GringoLoco
2000 TJ Wrangler 

That's good to know they've gotten better. I'm leaning towards the MT/R so far. I'm tempted by an AT but I really don't want to give up too much capability, and there isn't a lot of ATs in 35" anyway. Where I drive I don't actually have much problems with hydroplaning, although mine will pretty bad and I can see how the tread pattern on the MT/R would be good for that. My biggest issue with rain is just general slickness. Especially pulling out into traffic and trying to accelerate. It doesn't help that I'm light in the rear and have an open rear diff. My Trxus were phenomenonal on slick wet roads the first few thousand miles, I'm not sure how much of that going away is worn siping and how much is that the tread compound hardened, or wore through the soft rubber. I'm thinking about buying a siping tool and seeing how much of a difference that makes.
Odd noises
Unread 03-29-2015, 09:29 AM   #6
billiebob
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GringoLoco View Post
My biggest issue with rain is just general slickness. Especially pulling out into traffic and trying to accelerate. It doesn't help that I'm light in the rear and have an open rear diff.
This is where a quick shift into 4H can make all the difference... and slip back into 2H once up to speed.
Unread 03-29-2015, 10:35 AM   #7
GringoLoco
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiebob View Post
This is where a quick shift into 4H can make all the difference... and slip back into 2H once up to speed.
Damn, I'm back and forth all the time from 2hi to 4hi in the snow, don't know why it never occurred to me to grab 4hi real quick in the rain. There's one particular part of my daily commute where it would help. Turning right onto an off camber 50mph 2 lane. Even good tires struggle to get going there if it's slick. I think I'll try it tomorrow if I remember lol.
Odd noises
Unread 03-31-2015, 08:18 PM   #8
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Trxus MT are probably as good as it gets for an MT on wet pavement.
Charley3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2015, 09:39 PM   #9
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3
Trxus MT are probably as good as it gets for an MT on wet pavement.
TrXus MTs worked ok for me, but they wore way too fast.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2015, 08:09 AM   #10
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I ran TrXus MTs for a while and thought they did great in snow and rain. I had the old school MTRs and they weren't the best in those conditions. I know a few that have the new MTRs and they seem to be much much better in snow and rain then the older ones.

I suppose technically MT in MTR is not mud terrain but I would still lump them into the same category as most other mud terrains.

Unread 04-01-2015, 09:34 AM   #11
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
I ran TrXus MTs for a while and thought they did great in snow and rain. I had the old school MTRs and they weren't the best in those conditions. I know a few that have the new MTRs and they seem to be much much better in snow and rain then the older ones.

I suppose technically MT in MTR is not mud terrain but I would still lump them into the same category as most other mud terrains.

I had 2 sets of the old school MTRs and I thought they were awesome in snow and rain. I had to really try to break them loose.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2015, 11:33 PM   #12
billiebob
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
I had 2 sets of the old school MTRs and I thought they were awesome in snow and rain. I had to really try to break them loose.
I had MTRs and was at one job for a week. Polished snow under fresh snow every day. I thought I might end up staying the night... Even all locked up. On day 3 I bought some Yokohama Geolanders. Night & Day. What a difference. I let out the clutch and not even a hint of wheel spin.

I know we all get used to what our tires can do but Mts are not great in rain or on snow. And if you decide what yer running is dicey..... look for something dedicated to doing it right. Just like there are "winter" tires there are "rain" tires. Any good tire shop can show you good options. Online? Not so much.
Unread 04-01-2015, 11:59 PM   #13
thevanillaninja
2002 WJ 

I went from 35" Procomp A/Ts on my Dodge (360cid, always in rwd, empty bed) to 37" MT/Rs with Kevlar and the MT/Rs were fantastic in the rain compared to the A/Ts. Could be I was over confident with my all terrains, but I did a 720 on the highway once and never trusted them again. Seems grip as well as siping have as much to do with wet weather performance as water evacuation. At least, that's in my experience. If you buy a tire and hate it, you can always sell on 95% tread tires for a decent price and try something else.
MK2 USCG, Kodiak, AK
thevanillaninja is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2015, 12:07 AM   #14
billiebob
2005 TJ Wrangler 

^^^^^^^^ True. A good tire shop will let you trade them in for something else too. They just want yer business.

I bought 245/57R17 ATs and 3 months later traded to 255/80R17 MTs.
Almost got full value for the 245s. Something to be said for shopping at the local retail tire shop.
Unread 04-02-2015, 03:17 AM   #15
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
TrXus MTs worked ok for me, but they wore way too fast.
He didn't ask about wear, but ya, I've heard that about them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.