Any advantage to spacing wheels out - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Any advantage to spacing wheels out

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 08-14-2013, 06:47 AM   #1
SCouch
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Any advantage to spacing wheels out

I'm having a hard time finding a reasonably priced aftermarket wheel with the offset of the factory Ravine wheel. I also do not like the look of the wheels sticking out past the fenders. I think it makes a Wrangler look squatty without a significant lift. I do not intend to lift mine over 2". The rims will be 7", with 31" tires.

My choices in offset leave me with wheels that are 1/2 inch further in than the factory wheels, or one inch further out than factory.

It makes sense that tires sticking further out increase the stability of the vehicle, but I'm wondering if there is any real affect by increasing 1.5 inches. With the leverage of the height of the vehicle, and the suspension points being unchanged, I'm having a hard time visualizing any real affect.

SCouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2013, 12:50 PM   #2
WXman
2001 WJ 

Google "scrub radius". There are things about suspension geometry that will change. It'll make the steering feel different. It does add stability on and off road which is good. If you do some reading you'll see pros and cons to both positive and negative offset wheels.
'11 Mango Tango JKU Sport - Mods
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
WXman is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2013, 08:35 PM   #3
Spud100
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I have 1.5" wheel spacers. It gives huge clearance behind the wheels and tires. I have 31s but 33s can easily fit with no suspension scrubbing and that's with only a 1.25" lift. The wider stance does increase stability and handling too.
Spud100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2013, 03:27 PM   #4
strvger01
1966 CJ5 

some complain that spacers tend to wear out bearings faster.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.