Another - Will they fit a TJ w/o a lift? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Another - Will they fit a TJ w/o a lift?

Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 06-18-2013, 09:32 PM   #1
scottv720
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Another - Will they fit a TJ w/o a lift?

I just bought my 1st jeep, a completely stock 1997 Wrangler TJ SE. I need to mod it incrementally or my wife will kill me

I got a good deal on some used Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ 32x11.5x15 on Mickey Thomson Classic II 15x10 wheels. The owner wanted to get even bigger tires/wheels.

The wheels have the following specs:
size: 15x10
lug pattern: 5x4.5
Offset: -48 millimeters
Backspace 3.625 inches

With this offset and backspace, do you think a 32x11.5x15 tire will rub w/o a lift? If so, what would be the minimum lift size 2,3,4"?

I plan on eventually getting a lift but, I would like to use these tires in the mean time.

Thanks in advance. This feedback should save me many hours of trying this out.

Scott

scottv720 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2013, 07:45 AM   #2
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Yes, you probably will rub. Put on a 2" coil spacer lift for now with some new shocks and set your bumpstops correctly and you should be OK.
Unread 06-19-2013, 11:15 AM   #3
speedyrev
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Stick with 31's on stock height
speedyrev is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2013, 11:41 AM   #4
scottv720
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
Yes, you probably will rub. Put on a 2" coil spacer lift for now with some new shocks and set your bumpstops correctly and you should be OK.
Thanks biffgnar. I will go ahead with the lift and shocks. What are the bumpstops?

Scott
scottv720 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2013, 03:14 PM   #5
lilyellowTJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Scott. Bumpstops are inside your coils. It adjust your down travel when your flexing and prevents your tires from rubbing.
lilyellowTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 03:09 AM   #6
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Note: bumpstop spacers are one thing, coil spacers are another. This post is about bumpstops and related topics, including bumpstop spacers.

---

Bump stops are the bubber bumpers inside you coil springs. The bumpstops are mounted to frame or axle housing, I forgot which. I think bumpstops are mounted to axle housing for front of Jeep, and frame for rear of Jeep.

Stock Jeeps already have stock bumpstops.

When guy(s) tell you to get bumpstops or add bumpstops, what they really mean is longer bumpstops aka extended bumpstops.

Longer bumpstops are acheived by one of a few possible methods: You can install longer bumpstops (made of polyurothane), or you can install bumpstop spacers between you stock rubber bumpstops and their mounting point, or you can install a spacer in the place where stock rubber bump stop lands.
Usually spacers are made of aluminum, but the best spacers are made of rubber. I prefer rubber spacers because they add some extra cushion in addition to spacing.

Metalcloak makes good rubber bumpstop spacers for front axle. Not sure if they make them for rear.
Here is what I recommend to extend front bumpstops AND add some cushion for a softer landing when suspension bottoms on big bumps AND won't get caught in coil (won't scrape side of coil).

Buy Metalcloak rubber bumpstop spacers that mount to front axle housing where the stock rubber bump stops land (front bump stops are mounted at top of coil spring). The Metalcloak rubber bumpstop spacers come in 1", 2", 3", and so on. Get as much spacer as is appropriate.

---

For rear coils, buy a spacer that mounts to frame between frame and stock rubber bump stop. I think aluminum spacers are the only option. Not sure what brand. Probably any brand is fine (or make your own).

---

Note that I'm suggesting using stock rubber bumpstops with spacers (NOT buying longer poly bumpstops). Why? Because rubber is softer. Rubber bumpstops are cushier than poly bumpstops. So it's a softer experience when suspension bottoms on a big bump. In the front you get even more cushion from the Metalcloak rubber spacers.
Unread 06-23-2013, 03:15 AM   #7
tjtrucker
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Yes I think rubbing will occur if you don't install a lift of some sort. I did a Skyjacker 2.25" Budget boost lift kit, it comes with Skyjacker Hydro shocks that are long enough for a 3" lift kit. So in the future, if you decide to ditch the spacers and and replace the the stock springs with 2.5" or 3" springs, you won't have to change the shocks. I also replaced the front spring Isolators with .75" ones, that gave me a little more lift up front. here is the link for the lift kit that I bought- ($219) http://www.4wheelcustoms.com/Product....asp?ID=193233 The backspacing will be about perfect, but you don't have to go with 15x10" wheel, I went with a 15x8" wheel with the same backspacing, and it fits great.
tjtrucker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 03:29 AM   #8
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

This post is about coil spacers (lift).

I think 3/4" poly coil spacer would be enough lift for 32s, but if you want to use 1" or 2" poly coil spacer, that's OK too

However, with 3/4" or 1" spacer you don't need to buy longer shocks. Just keep using shocks you have.
Unread 07-05-2013, 06:38 PM   #9
tjtrucker
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3 View Post
This post is about coil spacers (lift).

I think 3/4" poly coil spacer would be enough lift for 32s, but if you want to use 1" or 2" poly coil spacer, that's OK too

However, with 3/4" or 1" spacer you don't need to buy longer shocks. Just keep using shocks you have.
A "budget boost lift"- (BBL) is the same thing as a coil spacer lift. If the OP wasn't going to take it off road, or drive over speed bumps, maybe they could get by with a one inch with 32s (but I doubt it). the 3/4" spacer is only slightly thicker than the stock rubber spring isolator.

www.gulfcoastjeepclub.com (Founding Member)
tjtrucker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
15x10 , backspace , offset , tj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.