Another tire question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Another tire question

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 12-07-2013, 10:11 AM   #1
BigRodney
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Another tire question

Hi all. I just ordered some beadlock wheels and am researching tires. My wheeling consists of airing down and wheeling in deep snow in the winter and in the summer very abrasive solid lava rock trails. I currently have BFG KM2 tires and was going to get another set but am also looking at Terra Grapplers. The grapplers look like the sidewalls might give additional traction when aired down in the snow but it might be just bling. Any input is appreciated. Thanks

BigRodney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2013, 10:53 AM   #2
BigRodney
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Guess I'm relegated to the tire forum where nobody ever looks and answers are seldom, thanks for nothing, I get your message, thought I'd try to post here again but guess it'll be another 6 months before I return to this forum if ever.
Unread 12-07-2013, 11:13 AM   #3
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

With that kind of wheeling, Id look into Irok's or Toyo m/t's. They seem to be great in the PNW wheeling elements. I don't know if the terra grappler would do anything, But the mud or trail grappler are good tires too.

If you will drive on road at all, The toyo's or the trail grapplers would be you're best bet. The extra width is what you need and toyo, Nitto mud's and Irok's fit the bill well. Good luck either way
Unread 12-07-2013, 11:43 AM   #4
Markmontana
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I was going to respond, but looks like you won't be here to read it...
Markmontana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2013, 10:19 AM   #5
BigRodney
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Yup
Unread 12-08-2013, 05:27 PM   #6
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markmontana View Post
I was going to respond, but looks like you won't be here to read it...
No, he said he's be back in six months, so I made a mental note to respond in May, 2014.
Unread 12-09-2013, 12:22 PM   #7
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I didn't answer or post because I have no info for you.

Sorry.
Unread 12-09-2013, 12:28 PM   #8
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
No, he said he's be back in six months, so I made a mental note to respond in May, 2014.
You've got an opinion on everything. Sometimes right, often wrong, but always something.

Surely you can give the guy some advice. I don't know if it'd be correct advice, but surely you have something to say.

If he stumped you, it's OK. He asked stuff I don't know about either. The difference is I admit it. I don't know the answer to his question, but at least I'm not taking it out on him.

Please respond to this in 6 months.
Unread 12-09-2013, 12:35 PM   #9
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3 View Post
You've got an opinion on everything. Sometimes right, often wrong, but always something.

Surely you can give the guy some advice. I don't know if it'd be correct advice, but surely you have something to say.

If he stumped you, it's OK. He asked stuff I don't know about either. The difference is I admit it. I don't know the answer to his question, but at least I'm not taking it out on him.
Haha! First, he whined about no one giving him and answer in what? 45 minutes? Then he insults the tire forum which should be close to your heart. Then Mark called him on his impatience and he said, what "Yup?"
He had his chance.

As for the substance of that question, wasn't it something about airing his beadlocked tires down in the snow for extra traction? I thought you would be all over that. One rare instance where I actually think you have it right.

I was trying for a response in six minutes, but could not type fast enough.
Unread 12-09-2013, 01:40 PM   #10
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Haha! First, he whined about no one giving him and answer in what? 45 minutes? Then he insults the tire forum which should be close to your heart. Then Mark called him on his impatience and he said, what "Yup?"
He had his chance.

As for the substance of that question, wasn't it something about airing his beadlocked tires down in the snow for extra traction? I thought you would be all over that. One rare instance where I actually think you have it right.

I was trying for a response in six minutes, but could not type fast enough.
OK. You have some valid points there, but you were supposed to wait 6 months before replying in this thread again.

Anyway, what he wanted to know is if side lugs help in snow. My true response is I don't know, but I doubt it. Earlier I elected to say nothing because I don't know for sure.

I think side lugs might help in rock crawling and mud ruts. They may help slightly in mud in general, but I doubt it. They don't help in snow. I prefer small (or no) side lugs because then I can fit a larger tire without rubbing sway bar or LCAs during turns. I think running a size larger tire helps me more than side lugs would (but I'm not a rock crawler).

I would advise the OP that KM2 are widely reputed to be slick in Winter conditions. I know nothing about the other tire the OP asked about.
Unread 12-09-2013, 03:02 PM   #11
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I think side lugs are mostly for show. I had some Swampers on my rig once and could regularly feel the lugs clipping the rock shelves without any noticeable effect on traction.
Unread 12-09-2013, 04:37 PM   #12
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I think side lugs are mostly for show. I had some Swampers on my rig once and could regularly feel the lugs clipping the rock shelves without any noticeable effect on traction.
I agree that side lugs are mostly for show.

I don't have rock crawling experience, but I've done everything else in my younger days. I try to keep the adventures milder now that I'm old enough to know better, but I still have some fun.

I agree that IME side lugs are mostly for show in regard to mud. I'll defer to others regarding rocks.

For sand they are a detriment, IMO.

For anything else they're just for show.

They make it harder to fit big tires without rubbing sway bar or LCAs.

Also, large side lugs add weight, which I think is more fat than muscle.

When I buy tires, one of the things I prefer is small, modest side lugs. No side lugs is OK too.

My Cooper AT3 have no side lugs and they're way better in mud than BFG AT which has some side lugs.

The only situation I've seen side lugs help is when you fall into ruts and then you're trying to climb back out of the ruts. Like muddy ruts for example. In that situation, big side lugs can help you climb out of muddy ruts.

But without big side lugs I can fit a larger tire, which means it doesn't matter as much if I fall into ruts.

So that keeps me not wanting big side lugs. I think they are as much a detriment as a help for all purpose, all terrain wheeling, especially on a daily driver.

BTW - speaking of daily drivers, I think big side lugs make a lot of wind noise at highway speeds.
Unread 12-09-2013, 05:04 PM   #13
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

BTW - One of the 4 wheel drive magazines tested mud tires in mud bogs and concluded the Hankook MT was the best tire tested because it drove the farthest through the bog.

It has modest side lugs. It out performed many MT with large side lugs.
Unread 12-09-2013, 05:24 PM   #14
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3 View Post
BTW - One of the 4 wheel drive magazines tested mud tires in mud bogs and concluded the Hankook MT was the best tire tested because it drove the farthest through the bog.

It has modest side lugs. It out performed many MT with large side lugs.
All that proves is that Hankook wrote the magazine a nice advertising check not long prior to the article.
Unread 12-09-2013, 06:13 PM   #15
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
All that proves is that Hankook wrote the magazine a nice advertising check not long prior to the article.
You sure are cynical, but you migh be right. I don't know.

What I do know is my Cooper AT3 has no side lugs at all, yet does very well in mud (for an AT). Better than other ATs that have some side lugs. I don't think side lugs help much in mud (other than maybe ruts).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.