Am I a dumb ***?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Am I a dumb ***??

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 07-17-2001, 04:54 PM   #1
Tony & his 91' YJ

Am I a dumb ***??

What's goin on there my jeepin family?? I just bought one and a quarter inch shackles. I have a 2.5" susp lift but it's rubbin a litle bit and I do want a little more height out of my YJ. Was this a poor descion? I thought it was better than a body lift but now I'm havin second thoughts. Any experience with shacles and a lift?? Please respond.
/____\
{OlllllO}
[]--<>-[]

tndboult@yahoo.com
91 YJ
/____\
{OlllllO}
[]---[]
Tony & his 91' YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2001, 07:05 PM   #2
FLHT_FXRS_YJ

I've got a 2 1/2" suspension lift and made up some 1 1/4" lift shackles for the front to even out the ride - this is after 8 years when the front started to sag a little, with a warn 8000 sitting up front. It looks much better, but it really screwed up the steering geometry. Not so much that I'll take them off, but enough to notice. Basically, it feels much looser up front. I didn't mess with trying to restore any castor, camber, or whatever needs re-adjusting but I might sometime. Right now I'm about ready to install a new tranny and transfer case.
89' YJ - 4.2 - NV4500 - NP231w/sye - 1" Body Lift - 2 1/2" Rancho Suspension Lift - 31" Firestone MTR - AR Outlaw II - Tomken Bumpers F & R - Warn 8000 front - Warn 6000 rec. mount rear - FlowFit Seats - Tom Woods Rear & Custom 2" front driveshafts
FLHT_FXRS_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2001, 11:20 AM   #3
damonejeep

What degree of caster would you put in for a 1/2" to a 1" shackle lift?
ANd are the shims placed in the same manner as the rear end ones are?
94 4.0L YJ, 31x10.5 ProComp MT's, 3.5" BDS, lockers and 4:56 gears to come!
damonejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2001, 07:14 PM   #4
RockJeep
SirRocks'A'Lot

Shackle lifts suck in my humble opinion. hehe i used to have a 2.5" shackle lift(bought it like that) and i hated it. loose steering and handled bad. replace it w/4" lift and that fixed everything w/stock height shackles. don't waste your money turning the knuckles just get rid of the shackles and go w/maybe a 1" body lift. or install some TJ type flares.
later
bob

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.