All-Terrain vs Snow Tires - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > All-Terrain vs Snow Tires

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-29-2008, 09:40 PM   #1
mofo13
1993 ZJ 

All-Terrain vs Snow Tires

Okay, so I'm pretty new to Jeeps. I picked up a '93 ZJ last December primarily as a winter vehicle and general hauler. The ZJ came with Definity AT's. I've been contemplating replacing them with either something like Goodyear Wranglers w/ 'silentarmour' or keeping these for summer use and picking up winter tires for...well...the winter. I seemed to have gotten much better traction with snow tires on a RWD coupe over the past several years than I did with the Jeep on the Definity's last winter.

Does anyone have any experience with AT vs snow tires on their Jeep during snowy conditions (both light and heavy snows)? Just looking for opinions here 'cause I'm a newb.

mofo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2008, 03:46 AM   #2
FuzzyDolly
2005 TJ Wrangler 

If you're going to have a set of dedicated winter tires that you won't be wheeling, I'd say get a set of Blizzaks or Green Diamonds. That being said, my Jeep is my DD and I run the same tires year round for both on and off street use. I like my Cooper STT for that.

2005 Solar Yellow X
2" Skyjacker BB - 31X10.5\15 Cooper STT
www.wnyoffroad.org
FuzzyDolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2008, 04:06 AM   #3
06camarodude
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I've got Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo's on my Wrangler, and they perform quite well in all weather. They aren't really the best for heavy wheeling, but they are good for some light wheeling. They get better dry weather traction than any other vehicle with a high center of gravity like this I've ever had. They handle great, and they will get you through just about anything, but at a sacrifice of tread wear. Bridgestone issued a 50,000 mile warranty on them new, but I've yet to see a set that made it to that 50k mark without being completely bald, like to the belts bald. lol They are generally only good for 38k-42k, so maybe consider some BFG A/T's, I've heard great things about them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsapo View Post
"Do not judge, or you too will be judged." Matthew 7:1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTJer View Post
That's a pretty decent crawl ratio, tell Matthew congrats. :2thumbsup:
06camarodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2008, 12:01 PM   #4
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Your Jeep will be like any other car. Snow tires will greatly improve your traction on snow and ice. With any all terrain or all season tire there will be compromises made to make it perform reasonably well in all climates. If you have a strict snow tire or a strict mud tire, it will perform best in those areas but suffer more in others. It really depends on how much winter traction you need and what sacrifices you are willing to make.
2005 Rubicon Unlimited Sahara Limited Edition #41
6spd manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
...there's very little that is more permanent than a temporary solution
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oman Jeep
Go with quality and cry once. Go cheap and cry often. Take your pick ;)
LJ Owners Group member #110
Fargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2008, 02:12 PM   #5
Whybu1
Lets go Penguins!!!!

2001 TJ Wrangler 

If you really only want one set of tires then look for a tire that is "severe weather rated"; it will have a picture of a mountain peak with a big cnowflake molded into the sidewall. Those count as "snow tires" in most states that require snow tires on snow emergency routes. BFG ATs and Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors are rated for sure; there are probably others as well. They are not quite as good as a full on snow tire but better than typical ATs or MTs on snowy roads.

Just remember that 4 wheel drive will get you going but is no help in stopping.
Whybu1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.