All terrain vs. highway all season - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > All terrain vs. highway all season

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 05-20-2013, 02:06 PM   #1
slicvic19

All terrain vs. highway all season

So I'm in the market for new tires now. I've always had all terrains on my wj but after looking at some BFG ALL TERRAIN T/A KO, I noticed the BFG RUGGED TERRAIN T/A (highway all season). I do mostly city and highway driving, trails very rarely but I've stuck with all terrains because I like the look better than a plain Jane tire.

Both tires look similar so what's the main difference in these sets for instance? I appreciate the help guys!

slicvic19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2013, 05:37 PM   #2
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Rugged Terrains are a great tire and probably exactly what you're looking for if you do hit the occasional trail and/or still don't want to look "dorky" with highway tires (Firestone Destination LE2 or Continental CrossContact LX20 or LX Sport would be my recommendations there). They're a mild AT/aggressive highway type tire, and compared to the very overrated BFG AT, their road manners should be much better while still doing the job in mild offroad conditions. They were one of my final choices when choosing a tire for my XJ. I chose another mild AT tire, the Kumho RoadVenture SAT, mostly because I'd never tried a Kumho tire before and like to gain real experience with as much as possible; I'm extremely satisfied. Here's an interesting little article: http://blog.tirerack.com/blog/contac...es-description
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 11:07 AM   #3
slicvic19

Would I tend to get more mileage and better on road performance with the rugged terrains over the all terrains. My main concern is how they perform on the road way more so than in any off road scenario.
slicvic19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 08:14 PM   #4
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Yes, the Rug Terr will likely get slightly better MPG, roll quieter, and handle better on the road. If you really do go offroad on occasion and/or utterly refuse to use "plain Jane" highway tires, I can't think of anything better than BFG Rugged Terrain, Kumho SAT (not to be confused with Kumho AT), or maybe Bridgestone Dueler AT REVO 2. Some of the following doesn't apply to you, but this is the current version of my advice to the many "Which AT tire?" questions that appear weekly.

Quote:
BFG Rugged Terrain (mild)
Bridgestone Dueler AT REVO 2
Cooper Discoverer AT3
Firestone Destination AT
General Grabber AT2
Goodyear Duratrac
Goodyear Silent Armor
Hankook Dynapro ATM
Kumho Roadventure SAT (mild)
Toyo Open Country AT 2

That's my short list of all-terrain tires in alphabetical order. You really can't lose with any of them. BFG RT and Kumho SAT are both milder for better or for worse (depending on how much/little and how extreme/mild you wheel).

As someone who uses his Jeep as a daily driver but goes off road occasionally, I chose a milder AT tire--Kumho RV SAT. BFG Rugged Terrain is similar. If I went off road any less than I do now, I'd roll with Firestone Destination LE2 or Continental CrossContact (LX20 or LX Sport)--virtually no contest in the highway tire department really imo.

There are a lot of rebates floating around right now, and DiscountTireDirect.com is offering their own rebate in addition to many manufacturer rebates. DiscountTireDirect.com and Tirerack.com are fantastic places to buy tires, and they'll ship them straight to an installer for you. It's been many years and a couple cars since I've had a local tire shop beat either of these places' prices.

Don't let Jeeper peer pressure force you to buy a tire that your type of driving doesn't need. Lots of people buy inappropriate tires just because of how they look or because of peer pressure from their chosen automotive niche. My tires aren't "cool" by Jeeper standards, but my XJ is functionally far better off (for my lifestyle and type of driving) than a cookie-cutter Jeep with BFG ATs, Duratracs, or KM2s.
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 08:52 PM   #5
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

All Seasons are great if you avoid mud. They lack mud traction.

But if you stick mainly to roads, you can do fine off road if you avoid mud. For example, AS (passenger P, or light truck C) are great for sand, good enough for snow, good for ice, trails, gravel roads, dirt roads, etc. They are quiet, cheap, get good gas mileage.

If you ever drive on sharp rocks, an LT load C is preferable because tough enough to resist tears and punctures from mild to medium wheeling.

===

If you go in mud deeper than 2" (IMO) get an AT because it's good on and off road, and can handle some mud.

===

For AS or AT, a passenger P rated tire is tough enough if you don't drive on sharp rocks. If you drive on sharp rocks, get a light truck (LT) load C tire because tough enough to avoid tears and punctures in most conditions, including driving on sharp rock roads. However, passenger P tires ride softer-smoother and get better gas mileage.
Unread 05-21-2013, 08:55 PM   #6
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicvic19 View Post
Would I tend to get more mileage and better on road performance with the rugged terrains over the all terrains.
Yes.
Unread 05-22-2013, 12:31 AM   #7
Flyordie
1985 XJ Cherokee 

I am running Hankook DynaPro AT'm's 235/75R15XL and they are doing great. I have over 1,000 miles on them so far and they are doing great. They do great in mud and snow and have minimal road noise. :-)

I got the tires for $130/ea mounted and balanced+Road Hazard.
Flyordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2013, 12:56 AM   #8
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

A compromise between AS and AT would be a Load C rated AS, or a P rated AT.

--

Also, the latest generation of ATs are so good they are rivaling AS on road, and hybrid tires off road.

(A hybrid is halfway between AT and MT)

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.