All Terrain Tires - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > All Terrain Tires

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 12-16-2007, 12:18 PM   #121
jsmorris
Director of Philosophy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappa-g
I took off 31" BFG A/Ts on factory rims and put on 32" BFG A/Ts on the same rims.
Isn't max pressure required only if you are at the maximum load?
I don't think Max Pressure is ever "required". You adjust tire pressure to get even tread wear for the wheels, load, and driving style. More load will require more pressure. More wheel width will require more tire pressure when comparing the same tire on two wheels. Slow speed and crawling is better with less pressure for maximum tread wrap. Highway speeds are best at higher pressure, but not necessarily max pressure.

I have 40psi in my Trxus tires and I think they are rated at 45max. I don't haul a lot, but this pressure gives me a good grip on the road and good wear. Your sidewall should not bulge much at the bottom of the tire, only slightly.

'89 Grand Wagoneer
jsmorris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2007, 09:40 AM   #122
cjbert
1983 CJ7 

Daytons??

Anybody have experience with Dayton Timberlines? 83 CJ7 mostly road use but some trail driving too.
cjbert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2007, 02:11 AM   #123
CB3
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Here's a few more, which I'd call "hybrids", a crossbreed between AT and MT

Want tires for a daily driver that are good to great on and off road? Here are my pics for that.

Cooper Discoverer ST - Great on every surface I'd tried it on, except ice, IME. Exceptionally great in mud, good on sand. Good on wet and dry pavement too. I've not tried it on rock climbing/crawling, but it's been great on sharp rock roads and shows no cuts or wear.

Fun Country FC-2 - Has a reputation for being great on all surfaces. Though I'm sure the ST is better in mud, and the BFG AT is better on ice.

Mastercraft Courser CT - a close relative of the ST and FC-2 tires, but with different tread. Really, this tire has tread about halfway between the ST and FC-2. This is one of my favorite favorites.

Kelly MSR - this hybrid is rather similar to the Mastercraft Courser CT, but the CT is the better tire, IMO, due to more sipes, and a quieter tread design. So the CT is quieter and has more wet pavement and ice traction, equal mud traction. However, the MSR is less money to buy.
Note: all the above tires are made by Cooper, or subsidiary companies of Cooper. They all share the same tire carcass and relatively hard, long lasting rubber, which tends to give inadeqate ice traction and not ideal for rockcrawling, but lasts a very long time and is great for all other surfaces.
BFG AT - my other favorite. Not as good in mud as the others mentioned, but still has some mud ability IME. This is the best on ice and sand of these 4 tires. The BFG AT is an aggressive AT, and is nearly a hybrid tire, IMO.

Parnelli Jones Dirt Grip - this hybrid tire is a bit similar in tread pattern to the Mastercraft Courser CT. The PJ tire has softer tread compound, like the BFG AT, and so it is better in winter, especially on ice, and it helps on rocks too, I'm told.

=====

The first 4 tires mentioned have harder rubber and won't give quite as much ice traction, but I've found the ST gives plenty good wet pavement traction, and the FC-2 and CT would be better yet since they have more smaller treadblocks and more sipes. The FC-2 and CT are OK on ice. These are known to last 50K to 60K miles. My last set of Coopers (the Disco LT) lasted 60K miles. I have to note the FC-2 is popular with Jeep clubs in my local area, and the CT and MSR are popular with loggers and hunters on their pickups.

The last two tires mentioned have softer rubber. So they get the most tracton on hard, slick surfaces (ice and rock crawling). However, they won't last quite as many miles, but still last long enough at around 40K to 50K as reported by users whose stories I read.

=====

My favorites that I'm torn between choosing are the CT, BFG AT, and PJ. The deciding factore will be which tire is available in the size I want.

The MSR and FC-2 are also great and tempting. I wouldn't recommend the ST for anyone who has to drive on ice, but other than that it's great for all terrains, especially mud.
cooper_discoverer_st.jpg   fc-ii.jpg   courserct.jpg   bfg-.jpg   parnelli_jones.jpg  

Last edited by CB3; 12-29-2007 at 05:48 PM..
CB3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2007, 02:39 AM   #124
CB3
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Here is a pic of the Kelly MSR hybrid tire. (Cooper owns Kelly)
safari_msr.jpg  

Last edited by CB3; 12-28-2007 at 02:51 AM..
Unread 12-28-2007, 02:51 AM   #125
CB3
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Dunlop and Toyo both make a couple of great hybrid tires too, but they only come in very limited sizes.
Unread 01-09-2008, 02:31 AM   #126
tjs06tjx
2006 TJ Wrangler 

i've had 32 x 11.5 BFG A/T's on my jeep for almost 2 years. They're great, but a friend of mine who works in an off-road shop strongly reccomeded the Mickey Thompson Baja Radial MTXs. If I went with this it would be of the
31 x 11.5 kind. Opinions
tjs06tjx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2008, 08:45 AM   #127
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjs06tjx
i've had 32 x 11.5 BFG A/T's on my jeep for almost 2 years. They're great, but a friend of mine who works in an off-road shop strongly reccomeded the Mickey Thompson Baja Radial MTXs. If I went with this it would be of the
31 x 11.5 kind. Opinions
What is your reason for going back to a smaller tire?
2005 Rubicon Unlimited Sahara Limited Edition #41
6spd manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
...there's very little that is more permanent than a temporary solution
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oman Jeep
Go with quality and cry once. Go cheap and cry often. Take your pick ;)
LJ Owners Group member #110
Fargo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2008, 06:27 PM   #128
ntaousakis
1999 WJ 

Anyone run tbe Kumho Road Venture AT KL-78. I was inbetween the Bighorns and the Goodyear SilentArmors, but went on tire rack today and for the price they look great, look like they would be good in mud and rain.

Unread 01-17-2008, 06:46 PM   #129
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntaousakis
Anyone run tbe Kumho Road Venture AT KL-78. I was inbetween the Bighorns and the Goodyear SilentArmors, but went on tire rack today and for the price they look great, look like they would be good in mud and rain.

I've never run them but I don't think they are as well respected as the Kumho Mud tires.

The Bighorns are a lot different tire than the Silent Armours or these Kumho. Are you looking for a mud tire like the bighorns or more of an all terrain?
6spd manual

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 01-24-2008, 09:04 PM   #130
redsoxski
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Anbody have any mileage or long term report on the **** Cepek FCII's yet?
redsoxski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2008, 10:05 PM   #131
XJKipp
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Can you put 235/75/15 BFGoodrich All-terrains on 15x8 rims?

Georgia Institute of Technology
Ramblin' Wreck from Georgia Tech
XJKipp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2008, 12:20 PM   #132
OzarkOutdoors
2008 JK Wrangler 

Bfg

Just this last weekend we were going through a long hole of water and cut/busted the sidewall about an inch and a half from the top of the tread. 32X11.50 BFG TA/KO...;nuts;

When I bought the tires I asked for road hazard on them and he simply laughed at me

I'm not sure if it wound up on the wrong side of a rock or a piece of ice cut it. (it's been kinda cold and the ice was at least a couple inches thick)--Has anyone else had a similar experience?
OzarkOutdoors is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2008, 05:39 PM   #133
XJ Jay
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB3 View Post
Here is a pic of the Kelly MSR hybrid tire. (Cooper owns Kelly)
im very sure goodyear owns kelly
XJ Jay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2008, 07:33 PM   #134
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ Jay View Post
im very sure goodyear owns kelly
I agree. So does Wikipedia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goodyea...Rubber_Company
6spd manual

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 02-12-2008, 07:35 PM   #135
ntaousakis
1999 WJ 

ive read in numerous posts that the SilentArmors clean very well in mud, and they are an awesome on road tire. If I didnt hear how well they cleaned in mud, I wouldnt even think about it, I would get the Bighorns. From what I read, these Silent Armors are great in snow, and pretty good in mud.

Tags
a/t , all terrain , all-terrain , popular , tires , variations

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.